Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

What to do with the yotes you shoot?

What do y'all do with yotes when you shoot one?

• Save the pelt & keep it for personal use

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • Save the pelt and sell it (eventually)

Votes: 33 33.0%
  • Taxidermy the whole critter

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Leave it where it lay. Yotes are varmints & full of fleas, yuck!

Votes: 36 36.0%

• Total voters
I'm hoping to get my first coyote this winter. I plan on sending the fur to the tannery and keeping the skull. That is provided it looks like it is in good shape.

I just pitch them until I get a good one. Then I send them to the tannery. So many of what I get are just not worth tanning unless you just want one on the cabin wall. Plus I hate skinning them. Nothing like wet dog smell and fleas crawling up your arms. I’d rather skin 5 beavers than one coyote!

That depends on a lot of things.

Most of my coyote hunting is late fall through January. So I skin and prep most for sale. It takes about an hour to do it correctly. Bug killer, skin, stitch holes, wash, rinse, flesh, remove ear cartilage, split lips, stretch (fur out), wet comb gently, blow dryish, brush, pick out burrs, allow to dry, turn inside out, trim legs and rear, dry overnight, turn fur side out, dry, brush, fluff, dry shampoo, sell for $50-$100.

Or shoot it in Utah, cut the ears off, turn in for $50. I wish Idaho would do that...

A lot of my coyote hunting other times is pest work in the spring and summer. Chicken killers, cattle chasers, horse nippers, dog attackers, coyotes acting wierd (rabies) etc. Those are usually thrown out in the desert.

I think I can honestly say I've never shot one without reason. Either fur or it needed to be shot.

If you are getting prime winter pelt coyotes it would be a shame to leave them on the hill. Take them all with you and turn them into a comforter, hat or gloves. You can just hang prime pelts on the wall too for a good luck.
Agreed

I plan to get out yote hunting as much as I can over the next two months and I've been watching videos on pelt harvesting and... whew... seems like a lot of work for not much return. I'm thinking of keeping my first couple if I get some, just to say I've done it, but in the long term probably just leave them where they drop to feed to rest of the forest critters.
You can sell the hide, they also do a bounty fir yotes here

I skin and tan one from any state that I haven't shot one in. I noticed the ones from the West are smaller than the ones here in the Hoosier state. I have shot a lot of different color variations over the years. If I could find a fur buyer I would be happy to get some $$ for them but for the most part they end up hanging on a fence as a warning for other yootes they are not welcome.

I skin and tan one from any state that I haven't shot one in. I noticed the ones from the West are smaller than the ones here in the Hoosier state. I have shot a lot of different color variations over the years. If I could find a fur buyer I would be happy to get some $$ for them but for the most part they end up hanging on a fence as a warning for other yootes they are not welcome.
47D1F416-6B3D-4AF0-9F50-F7A2595D25C6.jpeg

So instead of looking for sheds in a tree I will be looking for yotes on a sign when traveling to a new hunt area!
My buddy just sent that to me today. Someone did that by Springview Nebraska in the past day or 2. People out here have too much time in their hands.

I voted for sell since that's what happens to the majority of mine. But honestly it's a combo of all except the taxidermy option. I only leave a coyote if it's real bad. If you don't have a good area to skin and dispose of carcasses near you then you should definitely do it in the field and save yourself some hassle. This is the only coyote I left this season.View attachment 171643
I wouldn’t have touched him either dude wow

My buddy just sent that to me today. Someone did that by Springview Nebraska in the past day or 2. People out here have too much time in their hands.
I’ve drove thru Springview a small handful of times. I would imagine there might be some irresponsible mixing of drinking, driving, and shooting coyotes going on out there.

Back