Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What to do with deer horns?

IdahoBugler

Just wondering what you guys do to display your deer horns? I don't have a lot of wall space so I want to think of some way to display them but also not take up a ton of room. I don't even want to start with elk but how about a bunch of euro deer?

The reason I ask is because I decided it was time to clean up the hunting room and vacuum under the horns I had. I pulled them out and lined them up, cleaned, took a pic and piled them back into the same spot. I just keep thinking there has got to be a better way to display them.

Deer from the last 4 years.
P1070577.jpg

Back to the same spot.
P1070585.jpg

Any ideas?

Yah.. Start taking Moosie with you and quit hawging all the big deer :)

Seriously though, That wall is big enough to put an 8x10 picture next to each one and put them on the wall left to right. You have the Space. And if not, Borrow some of your Wifes Scrap booking room ;)

IDB, not sure if this has crossed your mind, but this is what a buddy did with his. cut off the antlers and made a couple chandeliers out of them. he got to see them every time he turned on the lights. now, this was with whitetail racks.

Seriously though, That wall is big enough to put an 8x10 picture next to each one and put them on the wall left to right. You have the Space. And if not, Borrow some of your Wifes Scrap booking room ;)
The pictures were taken in that room without the wife knowing. We had an agreement that no dead things made in there. :rolleyes:

IDB, not sure if this has crossed your mind, but this is what a buddy did with his. cut off the antlers and made a couple chandeliers out of them. he got to see them every time he turned on the lights. now, this was with whitetail racks.
Thanks for the suggestion but I would have a really hard time cutting my racks in half. I would have a really hard time making one with all the sheds I have.

The pictures were taken in that room without the wife knowing. We had an agreement that no dead things made in there. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the suggestion but I would have a really hard time cutting my racks in half. I would have a really hard time making one with all the sheds I have.

Chandilers from antlers are ugly.

I most likely can't describe a plan of mine but I will try.

I want to take 3 smaller sized, peeled lodgepoles, cut 4 or 5 feet or so.

Get them bundled together to make a triangle. Wide side(2 of the poles) up. Kinda like a fancy closet rod. Wide side up so the racks don't roll off.

Then either hang from the ceiling or anchor the ends to each side of a corner in the room. Then you can hang the racks upside down on it. Off the ground, out of the way. And still have the option of grabbing one of the bad boys and giving it a fondle every once and a while.

Clear as mud?

I also found if you let the wife put the sheds in baskets, you don't get crabbed at about needing them moved to vaccum, arrange furniture, etc. Win/win. She gets a basket, you get your sheds in the living room.

I have 2 more baskets of them in the bedroom:)

Now she just crabs about a 3 year old unfinished fire place:D

Ok, This may sound dumb, but it could get them off the floor. What about a Euro-Pedistal mount that spins. It could be a old Cedar Trunk with each Mount being mounted on some Metal Bracked to hold them away from the Trunk. Maybe star at the top making it three sided with maybe room for an additional 3 Mounts that we all know you will get! I guess it would be sorta like a Sunglass stand, but rustic. John

If you leave for a three month hunting tour, odds are your wife will sell most of them in your absence. That would take care of the problem.

Beyond that, contact Spitz. He has a connection to some really cool Euro boards. A guy handy enough to build that turkey pedestal probably could take one look at the Euor boards and replicate them, and make them even better.

You can fit a lot of deer on a wall when using Euro boards. Even big ones like you shoot.

What I have done with the racks that I don't have room for in the house is to put them in the garage as a decorative border just down from the ceiling. I have seen people use wallpaper borders and thought the deer racks could serve the same purpose. Redneck perhaps, but I like it.

I don't have the luxury of a man room at the moment, our spare room is for guests I'm told.

For displaying my whiteys, I'm relegated mostly to a wall of the garage. Hopefully I can add some good mule deer like those in the years to come.

Attachments

• P1030478.JPG
    P1030478.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 491

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back