What to do with 17 points?

Big Slick

I have a friend here in Colorado that has 17 elk preference points!:eek: Does he go unit 2 or unit 10? I'm posting for him since he doesn't get on this website, I said unit 2 but I figured you guys would have some good suggestions.

No decision to be made there. Unit 2 without a doubt. Could wait for 201 for just as good or slightly better, but 10 is no longer in the same class, IMO.

I looked at the stats I am not sure he will pull unit 2 next year with 17. All things equal there will be 15 guys with 18 points next year for 17 tags. Better check the numbers because I did it fast.

2 years ago I would have said unit 2 without a doubt. But then a couple weekends ago I help someone hang up their freshly mounted 370 gross muzzy bull from unit 10 shot in 2009.

So painful to have that many points.

I think the last 2 really wet years helped out a bunch on the size of that unit 10 bull. He is a beast.

Another thing to consider is you will not get on Walker's place in unit 2 anymore for only $250. May or may not matter to your friend.

I have a buddy after a unit 2 tag as well. He has 19 points and probably will not draw. Problem is he is 70 plus years old. He started putting in so many years ago that he may never see unit 2 again. Your buddy might look into untin 61 as well. Should be able to draw any tag with 17 points. Think with 14 or 15 points you can draw there.

You can buy points in Colorado, correct? I want to start applying to other states, but don't have the money to front for the tags. Are there any other states where you can buy a point each year without putting in for a tag? I know I could look it up, but I figured most everyone but me already knows the answer.

You can buy points in Colorado, correct? I want to start applying to other states, but don't have the money to front for the tags. Are there any other states where you can buy a point each year without putting in for a tag? I know I could look it up, but I figured most everyone but me already knows the answer.

Wyoming for one.

I have a buddy after a unit 2 tag as well. He has 19 points and probably will not draw. Problem is he is 70 plus years old. He started putting in so many years ago that he may never see unit 2 again. Your buddy might look into untin 61 as well. Should be able to draw any tag with 17 points. Think with 14 or 15 points you can draw there.

The up side for my friend is he is only 32! What a nice dad he must have to put him in at a really young age.:cool:

As Khunter said, in CO you must front the money for the cheapest elk tag ($354 for a cow tag), and then you'll get refunded all but about $28 I believe. If you hunted in CO the previous year, you'll get all but $3 refunded.

That stinks, but I guess it keeps guys like me from banking a bunch of points. I may just buy a point for deer in CO and pay the fee for antelope and elk in Wyoming. Don't have the money to get all three in CO.

That stinks, but I guess it keeps guys like me from banking a bunch of points. I may just buy a point for deer in CO and pay the fee for antelope and elk in Wyoming. Don't have the money to get all three in CO.

Coloado isn't worth your time for antelope, unless you want to hunt a lot of states. The quality isn't worth the wait it will take for a tag. Might as well go to Wyoming every year. You're not out a whole lot on elk in CO either, unless you're willing to wait a whole lot of years. You don't gain much over the quality of OTC units until you get up into double digit preference points.

When you are able to, sheep and goat would be worth building points for the long term, if that's something you are interested in. Just a whole lot of money to front.

I burned mine everal years ago on the west side of the uncumparghe. I think I used 10 pts. I would do it again if I could. We looked at 33 bulls before 9 on opening morning! I would love to try 2 though.

Hi, new to this site.I'm thinking unit 61 for this fall.I'm trying to pick a season,any ideas? or another area ?

The number of points you have will narrow your options considerably, unless you have a pile of them.

Back