What to do with 13 Resident points in Montana

Luke_with_a_lab

Hey guys,

First I want to say how much I love this forum and appreciate the help and wisdom shared across it. I am a MT resident and have saved up 13 bonus points for elk. I accrued these applying in unit 380, however, I obviously have had no luck. I've decided to give up on the elk horns and go to a unit that would at least have a little bit better draw odds. The options I'm considering switching to are the archery 680/690, 680/690 rifle, 410 rifle, and 700 rifle. My brother had the 410 tag 12 years ago and he came away with a very nice bull, however, I have read that the quality of bulls has gone downhill in the last few years but that's simply hearsay.

My question would simply be for advice on how to most wisely spend these points. I'm not one of those guys who is foolish enough to expect a 390 + class bull. The thing I would like is a quality hunt that would put me in good numbers of elk and provide a decent chance at an above-average bull. So any advice on a unit to apply in or also a unit NOT TO APPLY IN would be greatly appreciated. I know some of you will probably say that there are good quality bulls in the 600 units however I just don't know too much about them. I did hunt 622 for deer last year for a week in the CMR and didnt see any elk. Feel free to PM if you would like. Thanks!!

Unit 410-15% chance to draw your tag
Unit 700-88% chance to draw

These were rifle odds

Point creep at its finest. I would stick with your plan. If you burn the points on an area you don't know well or can't find a place to hunt it will be a miserable feeling. You can put in for 410 with decent odds, but a lot of the elk are on private land by the time rifle season starts (honestly, usually 10 days after bow season starts). You are in a tough spot.

The breaks units are certainly a fun hunt and there are some good bulls, but the overall quality has gone way down over the last 10ish years.

Point creep at its finest. I would stick with your plan. If you burn the points on an area you don't know well or can't find a place to hunt it will be a miserable feeling. You can put in for 410 with decent odds, but a lot of the elk are on private land by the time rifle season starts (honestly, usually 10 days after bow season starts). You are in a tough spot.
There’s plenty of bulls on public or bma’s in 410 just maybe aren’t huge bulls

700 rifle is a tough hunt. I had the tag a couple years back. There are elk and some really nice bulls but they are scattered and access is tough on the private land the elk get to after being chased around during archery. I was able to find elk here and there on public but did not kill a bull.

I too had accumulated a good number of points for elk. I spent mine on the last two weeks in 313. I wish I could get a mulligan. If you are still reasonably young, stay with 380. Part of my calculation was that my elk seasons are far more behind me , than in front.

I too had accumulated a good number of points for elk. I spent mine on the last two weeks in 313. I wish I could get a mulligan. If you are still reasonably young, stay with 380. Part of my calculation was that my elk seasons are far more behind me , than in front.
Did u get a bull in 313?

I can’t help you much, but I did draw a 799-20 permit two years ago and hunted very hard through the season and finally tagged a 260-inch bull. I talked with several other hunters that had multiple tags over there and had similar to no luck. If you had access to private land in the right spot it would be a great tag. Too many roads and the only escape areas were on private.
I always thought district 455 on horseback would be a fun hunt or 339. Good luck in your decision.

Theres no such thing as point creep in a bonus point system. The odds are just tough as a result of lots of applicants.

Fwiw, of the last several bulls I measured that came out of 380 (and surrounding HD) none made the book.

With your amount of points I'd be going with somewhere you know. If your comfortable with 380 do that. If you got the time to head SE and basically start from scratch with a good tag that's tough. It isn't like a sheep or goat tag....... elk change all the time and are a lot harder to pin point IMO. I have seen some fantastic bulls come from 410 622 700 631 they're there whoever says they aren't is full of 💩

Thanks for the responses. I could imagine in 313 the bull quality has declined due to predation. However I just don't understand why the quality of bulls in the breaks has decreased as the FWP says elk numbers out there are at all-time highs?

Thanks for the 2 cents. I just turned 30 so hopefully i have a few good years!

Thanks for the responses. I could imagine in 313 the bull quality has declined due to predation.

The bull quality has declined due to every single bull, 6-point, raghorn, etc. getting mowed down on Deckard Flats, every single morning of the season. It’s a joke and the outfitter is the biggest culprit, but yet the most vocal whiner regarding the shortened general season and the predators.

The breaks units are certainly a fun hunt and there are some good bulls, but the overall quality has gone way down over the last 10ish years.
This is exactly right, while there's always a chance at a good quality bull on public land seems to get worse every year. And I hunt both sides of the lake a fair bit. Not that it is a bad hunt, just not once they once year. FWP claims elk numbers are high, but don't worry they are doing their best to get that number back down it seems.....

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back