Caribou Gear

What the he!! does Kill better mean.

ruger243223

I have a guy on another forum that says his 55gr whatever kills better than my 40gr Bts from a 223. I have been shooting for 25+yrs and too me if you put where it needs to be you have a dead critter no matter what you are shooting. I personally would never shoot a 55gr bullet in a 223. I think it was made for 40gr bullets. I shoot the Nolser bullets and love em. It just makes me laugh when someone says it kills better how the hell do you know. HAPPY HUNTING

What forum?:D
He may means that it kills faster or that he has less cripples.
For myself, I think anything with a 0.378" bolt face is best served with bullets weighing 53 grs or less.

I haven't shot anything with either a 40 or 50gr Vmax that hasn't dropped like they've been electrocuted.

For myself, I think anything with a 0.378" bolt face is best served with bullets weighing 53 grs or less.
I almost agree with that! ;) But, a 25 Copperhead would be a sweet little pronghorn getter to use in WY... :D And I can see where a 12+# .223 with a fast twist would be a real hoot in learning to shoot long range cheap(er).

Why do I only notice my typos after I've been quoted?
Are you sure that you want a switch barrel rifle? If agravation is worth any money you might be ahead to just build a second rifle.

I use 40 gr bullets (BTs or V-Maxes) for the most part in my .223s, even the Savage with a 1 in 9 twist. I also like the 50 gr TNTs and tipped bullets. I got great accuracy with Rem 55 gr Powerpoints, but I like the speed and terminal effects of the lighter bullets. I understand the benefits of the heavier bullets at extended ranges, but I don't want to give up the splatter factor of the faster, lighter bullets.

I end up using 50 or 55 gr bullets in my .22-250, though.

Why do I only notice my typos after I've been quoted?
Are you sure that you want a switch barrel rifle? If agravation is worth any money you might be ahead to just build a second rifle.

Sounds like experience talking! Where would be the aggravation?

Sounds like experience talking! Where would be the aggravation?

Clamping them in a vise and leaning on a "T" handle wrench then checking the zero. It makes sense for a benchrest shooter, change barrel- change class while still shooting the same stock, trigger and scope. And you can chamber several spare barrels in case one goes south.

That doesn't sound too terrible. Spin the 25 Copperhead for the month of September to hunt pronghorn with, then spin the 223AI barrel back on for the rest of the year. For some reason I've been enthralled by the idea of switch barrel for a LONG time. Maybe someday. I'd really like a system that can be done nearly by hand with just a set screw or some such...

Savage 110s are pretty easy if you have a vise set up properly. All you need is the barrel nut wrench and headspace gauges. By changing the bolt face, you can even alternate between rim sizes within reason. I bet if you got the detachable mag versions you could go from a .223 to a 325 WSM....but I have no direct experience so I could easily be wrong on that.

That's the route I'm seriously considering. I may start with a centerfeed (to help eliminate feeding issues) Stevens and 243 Win and 358 WSSM barrels.

I can hit a 2 inch gong 20 out of 20 shots with my Ruger 22-250 using 40grn Vmax's at 300 yards. I let my buddy shoot it and he is a very bad shot and he even hit it 16 times out of 20. 40 grn Vmax is a killer bullet.

I shoot 55gr Nosler Ballistic tips for varmints 100yds 1/2" group. I used to shoot deer with a 60gr Nosler partition groups the same as the 55. Now i have a 7mm Rem Mag shootin 150gr. Why? Because I can and I have relatives that live and hunt in Alaska. And Moose and Caribou are on my list maybe even Brownies. Actually the gun is last resort as if and when I can get up there my weapon of choice is a Mathews MQ-32. YEAH even for them big bears.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back