Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What size peep for hunting?

LaSportsman

I have a Diamond Edge SB-1 with Apex Attitude 5 pin sight. The problem I have is I can't see the entire sight housing. All was fine as long as I was shooting at 20 and 30 yards only but when I sighted in all five pins, I can't maintain a consistent sight picture and see the 20 yard pin and 60 yard pin, much less the level.

Sight is as far out as it will go so I need to go to a bigger peep. I have an 1/8". I'm looking at the 1/4" Specialty Archery. I've posted this on AT and many say 1/4" is too big but I doubt a 3/16 will be big enough. The Specialty Archery would make it easy to downsize to 3/16 if that did prove enough.

What size peep do you have on your hunting bow? From digging online, it seems that 1/4" is common among hunters but that's not the feedback I got in my thread on AT.

I'm not sure what size it is but its definitely the biggest I could find. The main problem I've had with peep sights is not being able to see through them in low light situations, which is when lots, if not most, deer/elk encounters tend to happen. If your in a ground blind that effect is much worse. Years ago before they started making them larger, I used to take a knife and core out the opening to the width I deemed necessary for hunting.

My current peep is 3/16. I have run 1/4 and 5/16 before without issue. Do you have a shop somewhere nearby where you can test out different sizes?

I do not have a shop within 200 miles where I can test them out. I have a shop that can order one and install it which is another reason I like the Specialty Archery. If I get the 1/4" and decide to drop down to 3/16, I can just screw in the smaller aperture myself.

You could have somebody measure the distance from your peep to sight, and peep to eye. Then drill some holes in a thin piece of wood and look through to test. Now that I've written this, it sounds like a pain. But should work fine.

In general, most hunting peeps are typically "larger" (3/16" - 5/16"). If you find yourself in low light situations its very nice to have at least a 3/16". I prefer a 1/4" myself. If you're coming off a target bow setup with a small peep it will just require getting use to.

I'm not sure what size it is but its definitely the biggest I could find. The main problem I've had with peep sights is not being able to see through them in low light situations, which is when lots, if not most, deer/elk encounters tend to happen. If your in a ground blind that effect is much worse. Years ago before they started making them larger, I used to take a knife and core out the opening to the width I deemed necessary for hunting.
What this guy stated. Secondly, when you get old and the vision goes south.... bigger is better

3/16 or 1/4 will cover you. If your primarily a Whitetail treestand guy....go with the 1/4.

Primary archery target will be desert mule deer and maybe some mulies in high country. Eyes started going south about 5 years ago. Menus give me fits in a dark restaurant. Haven't shot my bow in low light yet but could see that as a factor.

As a general hunting peep I'd look at 3/16-5/16. Your sight should fit just Inside the peep at full draw. This allows you to center the housing for better accuracy. You could try moving your sight out for smaller peeps or move it in for larger peeps to get it to line up correctly. Just know the closer the sight the closer your pins will be together.

It kinda depends on the size of the sight housing... I prefer a 3/16 peep for the size of my sights - if i go 1/4 there is too much open space for me and I’m not as accurate... it’s really a personal preference...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back