Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What size binos?

Dwreckers

Trying to decide what size binos to run this season. I currently have a standard 10x42 but have been debating on maybe going up to a 12x56 or even a 11x45. Looking for everyone’s personal opinions on magnification.

I do have a 16-48x sporting scope but for the most part I like to find animals with my binos and will be using them for spot and stalk

I personally like 8x42 and 10x50 for the 5mm exit pupil size. The human pupil at low light is 7mm so the closer you get your exit pupil size to 7mm the brighter images will be through the binos. That being said high end glass at 4mm will always look better than crappy glass at 5mm

I’m in the same boat. Still haven’t decided but thinking of sticking with the 10x. Those 12’s can be a bit shaky holding free handed

I’m in the same boat. Still haven’t decided but thinking of sticking with the 10x. Those 12’s can be a bit shaky holding free handed
My only problem is sometimes the 10x isn’t enough in my home state trying to put a 3rd point on a mule deer to make it legal

Stick with a 8-10x42 .

I have 12x50 vortex viper hd
wife has 10x42 vortex viper hd

I like hers better because they are smaller/lighter. the extra magnification of my 12x50 don’t make up for their weight/size in my opinion .

I have used 10x42s for several years. However, I picked up a pair of 12x50s this year because I glass a lot off of a tripod and just don't like spotters. The 12s seem like a good blend of the glassing power I want, with the ability to still freehand reasonably. I hunt big, reasonably open country. Ask me about it again after the season and I'll know better.

My only problem is sometimes the 10x isn’t enough in my home state trying to put a 3rd point on a mule deer to make it legal

Then get closer or call it to small because animal is obviously out of rifle range if you cant tell with 10x if its quality glass.

Then get closer or call it to small because animal is obviously out of rifle range if you cant tell with 10x if its quality glass.
I have never shot a deer more than 150 yards away. I’m talking more about long range glassing when I don’t always carry my spotting scope with me

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back