Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Help me pick a new Bino harness.

Ought Six

Buying the Swaro EL 10x42’s here soon. Been running the Badlands Bino harness for probably 12-14 years, can’t remember when I got them. Wasn’t a ton of options back then, now everyone makes a Bino harness. Would like to have a pocket for range finder and phone.

What do you guys like?

After trying 4 different harnesses, I think I finally found one I will stick with... Eberlestock Recon. Modular, can add more storage if you'd like. I've only had it for this past hunting season, but so far it checks a lot of boxes for me.

It's similar to the marsupial.

If you decide to go with an FHF, I have one with a rangefinder pouch I'll sell you for a good deal, it's the original one. Not the forward opening one.

I like my FHF-- light weight, secure, just enough room for secondary storage without it being too much. Only complaint is that the straps tend to want to slip out of the buckles, but that was an easy fix with some electrical tape.

I've had my badlands for a good while and really enjoyed its practical functions.
@Ought Six , If you've liked the quality of the Bandlands and their warranty is, bar none, top shelf (i.e. buy from a garage sale and they continue the warranty) - They have a bino harness fitting your interest that I was considering. The ole saying, "if it works don't be like the Government..."
Not only does it have the usual pouches my older badlands harness has - they've incorporated competitive side pouches along with the lower range finder pouch.

1707151473797.png

1707151356987.png

Last edited:

This bino harness is awesome. You can get pouches on the side for different things. I have range finder on one side and my inreach on the other.

Buying the Swaro EL 10x42’s here soon. Been running the Badlands Bino harness for probably 12-14 years, can’t remember when I got them. Wasn’t a ton of options back then, now everyone makes a Bino harness. Would like to have a pocket for range finder and phone.

What do you guys like?
Congrats on the EL's...Kuiu for me.

Honestly... I have had five different bino packs and although I am not a Badlands "anything" fan, the Badlands with the RF basement and side pockets seems to be the best to fit MY needs.

The magnetic closures, RF lower pocket, side pockets, and zip closed area for my tags and spare batteries work for me.
I like the padded carriers for two reasons: 1) to protect expensive optics and 2) I often use them as a rifle rest when shooting game.

I had the el cheapo vortex one (glued the sig rangefinder pouch on it haha), currently use an ADAK one i got for cheap on camofire. I've worn a kuiu pro. To be honest - I don't see that there's a ton of difference in how they fit and ride. All have been comfortable in my opinion. I think a better shoulder strap with more material is easier to get on and off because it doesn't twist up as bad, but that's the only functional/noticeable difference out me.

What I wish I did have - A place for a holster mount and more options for adding pouches/accessories. The FHF one looks the best for that.

This bino harness is awesome. You can get pouches on the side for different things. I have range finder on one side and my inreach on the other.

^ +1

this is what I have. Rangefinder on one side, and phone on the other side.

Congrats on the new binos!

Of the 3-4 I tried, Marsupial (original with magnets) seemed to have the best design for a dedicated bino harness.

This past season I went back and forth between two chest rigs in bad weather (FHF and T&K, haven’t decided which I will keep yet) but when it was decent I just used a Rick Young harness. Weighs nothing and carries my binos perfectly

I'll throw another preference in here for the Marsupial harness. I love mine and haven't had any complaints. I especially like that it is fully enclosed so it keeps my glass free of dust and debris while out an about. Also, the zipper free magnetic closure is nice and quiet. I typically keep my phone in the mesh pocket in the back (between the harness and my chest) for quick access and safe keeping.

I bought a medium size marsupial fully enclosed for my EL's this fall. It was a pretty tight fit at first but with some use it has loosened up and it has become much easier to operate with one hand. I generally like it, but it isn't as comfortable as the Outdoor Vision Ridgetop harness I used with my Zeiss Conquests. I made some modifications to the OV when I first got it and I really like that harness. Real easy single handed operation.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back