Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What questions should I ask the biologist

Lmwmihunter76

I am planning out a Wyoming mule deer hunt and putting together a list of questions to ask the biologists. So
My thoughts are
Elevation
Food sources
Distribution in the region

What else should I ask about??

thanks

Seasonal movements and when that typically happens.

This can be a big one as you can spend a lot of time scouting in August and September and then come back in October and not find near as many deer as you saw a couple months ago. Weather plays a big part in the seasonal movements game.

ClearCreek

Better to do your own hunt. The biologist will give the same answers to every hunter who calls him. I'm guessing a lot of hunters will be going to where he recommends.
Completely agree. Same with the local bartender or gas station attendant. However, I would still make the call and ask if there tends to be more pressure in one spot vs. another. Biologists I have talked to can tell you what most hunters do every year. Might help you avoid a road or drainage.

It's because of BAD INFO from a biologist that I started using the internet and joined a hunting forum.
Years ago before I began really using the internet and was still digging up info the old way, I called a biologist for the premium CA tag I had drawn and was trying to get an idea of what antler class of deer come out of this hunt. I knew nothing about the area and only applied for it because I had just bought a muzzleloader and it was my first time applying for muzzy hunts. I got lucky on my first try and drew the tag.
The biologist's reply was "I wouldn't pass on a legal buck"
I never saw any pics of deer from there and when I scouted a full week before opener all I saw were small bucks.
I got impatient and on opening morning I dropped the hammer on a small 3x3.
I went back to camp for my pack frame and a couple of hunters stopped by and asked questions about the deer because they hadn't even seen a doe. I told them they could follow me to recover my buck and that they should hunt that area. They followed me and thanked me and I gave them my card and said "Let me know how it goes"
Well, they sent me a pic of 3 whoppers that they took the very next day from my spot.
This was a migration hunt and I just needed to wait 1 more day. DOH!

I wouldn't trust a biologist.doyle bucks.jpg

Last edited:
To echo what’s already been said, and expand a little:

1) Migratory or resident herds, or both?
2) Timing of migration, if any?
3) Food sources?
4) Typical elevation trends?
5) Where do you send the hunters who ask where to go?
6) Influence of drought?
7) Influence of early/heavy snow?
8) Factors that may skew harvest data?

A lot of times people get useless information because they don’t ask the right questions. Keep in mind the biologist and his family/friend likely hunt too, and he’s not going to dime out their spots.

I've had a wide range of experiences (good and bad) with biologists and wardens, but generally if you do some research before hand and ask specific questions you'll get more useful info. I'm in the Real Estate industry and always laugh when someone asks me, "how much are houses selling for?"

To echo what’s already been said, and expand a little:

1) Migratory or resident herds, or both?
2) Timing of migration, if any?
3) Food sources?
4) Typical elevation trends?
5) Where do you send the hunters who ask where to go?
6) Influence of drought?
7) Influence of early/heavy snow?
8) Factors that may skew harvest data?

A lot of times people get useless information because they don’t ask the right questions. Keep in mind the biologist and his family/friend likely hunt too, and he’s not going to dime out their spots.
Good list. I would add where is the place I can't miss to eat in area.

I feel I should do the whole hunt. I've never asked anybody where I should hunt. Isn't that an important part of the hunt? How rewarding is it if you shoot game where someone told you to find it?

The OP didn’t ask where to hunt.

If you’re going to be a student of the game, you have to ask questions.

Sure he did. All his question are looking for a specific location.

Yes, be a student of the hunt. Learn how to hunt. Learn how to scout and what to look for. Learn about weapons and practice with them until you're a good shot. Lots of stuff to learn. However, when you ask where to hunt you drew the line for me. I wouldn't tell my brother where to hunt and he wouldn't tell me either. We both know better than to ask.

We're all different. That's how I am.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back