Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

What questions should I ask the biologist

Sure he did. All his question are looking for a specific location.

Yes, be a student of the hunt. Learn how to hunt. Learn how to scout and what to look for. Learn about weapons and practice with them until you're a good shot. Lots of stuff to learn. However, when you ask where to hunt you drew the line for me. I wouldn't tell my brother where to hunt and he wouldn't tell me either. We both know better than to ask.

We're all different. That's how I am.
That’s a dangerous assumption to make. I’d rather withhold judging a situation or person without having all the context (of which we will never actually have because this is the internet), all of the OPs questions could point him to certain locations sure, but he still has to do the work at the end of the day and make the right decisions. All I can see him doing here is trying to utilize another resource available, like you just said “lots of stuff to learn”.

That’s a dangerous assumption to make. I’d rather withhold judging a situation or person without having all the context (of which we will never actually have because this is the internet), all of the OPs questions could point him to certain locations sure, but he still has to do the work at the end of the day and make the right decisions. All I can see him doing here is trying to utilize another resource available, like you just said “lots of stuff to learn”.
To be honest I thought he was also asking about a specific unit too. I must have mixed it up with another thread. It was too late I had made the post and had to live with it.
I see so many threads started looking for where to hunt. If i'm fed up enough I have to say something. We all shot game before computers.

Last edited:
As stated above a phone conversation with Warden/Biologist can be a real hit or miss depending on what info you're looking for. I had one talk with a biologist who sounded like I was caller 152 and he just repeated a script. I found it helpful for access questions like " I see this road cuts through a small piece of private "is it gated" or his favorite restaurant in town.. If they give general answers on areas it's safe to assume all other callers received same input which may be helpful to avoid high pressured areas.

To echo what’s already been said, and expand a little:

1) Migratory or resident herds, or both?
2) Timing of migration, if any?
3) Food sources?
4) Typical elevation trends?
5) Where do you send the hunters who ask where to go?
6) Influence of drought?
7) Influence of early/heavy snow?
8) Factors that may skew harvest data?

A lot of times people get useless information because they don’t ask the right questions. Keep in mind the biologist and his family/friend likely hunt too, and he’s not going to dime out their spots.
A good question to ask would also be if there have been any conservation or forestry projects in the unit you are hunting?

I've enjoyed reading the comments so far - there is some good advice here. So I am a 30 year professional wildlife biologist (not with a state fish and game department) and soooo many people assume that because I am a biologist, I know where every elk and deer lives and so they come to me for advice. Fact is, when it comes to hunting, many biologists are no different than your average Joe and not any better at harvesting animals. In fact many of them rarely get time to hunt themselves because they are too busy during hunting season to get out much. I love seeing people be successful and probably give out more information than I should but I too keep some of my honey hole information quiet and I assume most department biologists do the same.

One thing that has helped me tremendously over the years is asking if the biologist is aware of any scientific research that has been done in the area you are looking to hunt in. Graduate students earning their masters and PhD degrees are constantly studying deer and elk in the Rocky Mountain west. Many of these studies have GPS radio collared data from elk and deer that will often show up in their final research papers. You can get so much information on summer range habitat, winter range, migration corridors, etc. Some research papers are available online for free while others you may need a paid subscription to download. Most department biologists are fully aware of past or on-going studies in their management area and could point you in the direction of available literature.

This being said, nothing beats on the ground scouting and putting in the miles during season!

In Wyoming they produce Job Completion Reports annually and these can have some great information and often reference studies in the area. Often the author will be the biologist you talk to if you can get ahold of them, asking some questions about info in these will show them you're doing your homework and will be something they know well.

is it generally better to call or email biologists or wardens? which do they typically prefer?

One other direction that I have learned to take, depending on how remote the unit is:

How much cell service can I expect in the unit?
Where can I get gas?
Where can I find a restaurant or grocery store?
Where can I get a tire repaired?
Where is the nearest hospital?

Local knowledge is better than Google, and sometimes they will know that one gas station that is open or that one spot where you can get cell service.

QQ

I would 2nd the recommendation of cell service in the area. As a solo hunter (most years) I want to have a plan for communication in the event of an emergency and I use my phone for navigation (onX). I also ask about herd health, age class of deer, cwd prevalence, where to get my deer tested, and for areas that I can get away from motorized vehicles.

Just a short counter point to those downplaying the value in calling a biologist. In two separate areas, I called a biologist prior to scouting trips. Both times they gave great info that lead to elk. On the second spot in particular, I was pretty adamant on a couple of other spots, and he kept dropping the line, "If I were you, I'd check out XXX creek". I kept pressing with my questions, but at least was smart enough to jot down the name. I scouted all my spots and didn't see much. I went over to XXX creek for the last two days, and literally couldn't glass and NOT see elk, they were everywhere! We hunted that spot for many years taking multiple bulls each year. Even if he told that same spot to every person he talked to, it didn't seem to affect anything, we almost never saw anyone and the hunting was world-class.

I’ve talked with 3 different WY biologists over the last few years and all have been very helpful. My personal interest lies with how the animals utilize the landscape at a particular time of year. My questions are along the lines of, “based on anticipated snow depth, forage quality, hunting pressure, and security cover, I anticipate to find animals at x elevation, in x habitat type. Am I thinking along the right lines?” And the answers have been “You’ve miscalculated variable Z, because of ___ reason, and as a result the animals are more likely to be in ____ habitats/elevations”

Biologists are scientists who are experts in animal behavior and ecology. Talk about the things that interest them and they may be open to a conversation. YMMV

Good advice on the questions here! I'm struggling to find the right contact info for the biologist(s) in my hunt unit o_O

We have had very good input from biologists, especially in Wyoming. Good questions to ask would be, are there sheep and cattle grazing in the area and when are they removed from the range? As was said previously, specific questions lead to specific answers. It is all about gaining as much information as possible about an unknown area you are interested in hunting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back