Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What is your single top hunting season goal this year? I expect updates damn it.

This is my last year to hunt before my son will be able to next year. After that, I plan on it all being about him for as long as it can be. I feel like I need to push myself a little more than previous years and am prepared to because of that fact.

My dad is 74, and I will hunt deer with him as much as possible. I plan on sharing with him the River bottom I enjoyed so much last year.

I’ve had a few good years of elk or multiple elk every year for the last few. I love the meat but don’t feel driven much beyond that and hiking enchanting geographies, and feel like I simultaneously need to speed up and slow down. One thing I honestly want to do this fall is fish more. I’m always hunting instead.

Ok so I didn’t pick just 1.

Hope you all have fantastic seasons.

2)Kill a bigger class of 6x6. I can find a few run of the mill bulls any season but this will be a good year to see about a good one, or eat the tag.
Referring to it being a good moisture year?

My buddy tells me this is the year to kill a really big one, as our area has had great moisture and lots of food for elk this spring and summer. Which really helps keep the anticipation down, lol.........

Like most...

Would love to take a black bear with my bow. Spot and stalk.

Would be great to harvest a bull with my bow. It's been a couple seasons since that's happened.

Have an opportunity to hunt with some first timers and maybe help on a goat hunt or two.

Have the kids along if the opportunity presents itself for a family stalk with a rifle.

My daughter is 12 this year she's been able to do the apprenticeship program but I'm not allowing her to hunt until the in person class is completed. It's been tough to get dates to align but it's important to me that she and my son both complete it prior to them buying a tag.

After that it's all about them and I'm happy to sit in the passenger seat.

My number one goal for '23 is to practice some patience and trigger finger control. It's hard to change my old ways, growing up hunting around home you just needed to be prepared to shoot the first buck you saw. I've learned to pass on small deer out west, but invariably shoot the first good buck I see. Going to try and slow it down and take a few days to cover some ground and try and hold out for something better.
We'll see if I have it in me.
Other than that, it's just to enjoy time in nature and relish time spent with family and friends in the outdoors.

Be here next year to talk about next year. LOL

Fill my 8th elk tag on my own land, with a unit wide draw tag again this year.
But 1st...
Help a local guy with a bow tag here.
Then help 2 MT brothers get their 1st NM elk tags filled,here.
Get my freezer filled ,then help my WI buddy get another NM cow before Xmas.
Lots of bones for Rio...

Be here next year to talk about next year. LOL

Fill my 8th elk tag on my own land, with a unit wide draw tag again this year.
But 1st...
Help a local guy with a bow tag here.
Then help 2 MT brothers get their 1st NM elk tags filled,here.
Get my freezer filled ,then help my WI buddy get another NM cow before Xmas.
Lots of bones for Rio...
Good ones hank . . .

We've got two guys in our group whom have never harvested an elk, my no.1 goal is to be there to help and see the look on their face(s) when they walk up to their first harvested elk, priceless!
Just being in the mountains spike camping with good friends, the smell of elk, the sounds of bugles, no cell, no work laptop... these aren't really goals but damn I crave and look forward to this every Sept.
After that, stick a bull for myself :giggle:

Well I have already had the most important goal happen. I made it out to our cabin after 3 years of healing up. Broken up neck the last time. The ol body was rode hard n put away wet. But it was sure fun !
Actually I was in a dark place for a while. This was a real healing process for me this last trip. I had a bunch of issues that had to be dealt with and a good friend to help. Now the cabin n the equipment such as wheelers n refrigeration/freezing abilities I can continue to hunt moose wolves bears. Trap lynx wolves or beaver. Comfortably.
This was a big deal for me. And now I have a great opportunity to harvest a moose for our family. Or just go hang out in the bush. Thanks to my family friends.
. And thank you to all the folks that work to make getting out and using our public lands available so more folks can have the same opportunities to get out
Prayers up brother! So happy momentum is positive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back