What is your single top hunting season goal this year? I expect updates damn it.

For me, my goal (dreams?) are to harvest the game I’m hunting this fall: ruffed grouse, blacktail deer, and duck.
I haven’t managed to do this the previous two years.

If I’m lucky and come across a bear or cougar I won’t be mad, but I’m not focusing on either of those specifically.

I'm coming off a cold streak, two screw-ups with my bow on big muley and whitetail bucks, several eaten rifle tags (including AK moose), and a tough past 18 months of life. My goal is redemption, and I really need it right now...starting with a mt goat a week from Tuesday.
I’m sorry about the rough luck, I really hope it turns around for your goat, good luck, looking forward to the write ups!

Number 1 goal is to take a whitetail with the recurve bow that my dad got when he was in college. It was always in his gun cabinet and I always thought it was the neatest thing in the world. I liberated it from his house about 10 years ago and have plinked at targets with it, but this year I am going to spend a decent amount of my hunting time with it in my hand in the woods.

As a secondary goal, I would like to see my buddy get his first whitetail. He started hunting 3 years ago and I think there is a good chance this is the year he puts it all together.

As always, I would love to get a fall turkey, especially if it is with an arrow. Either way, I'll spend a decent amount of time out in the woods and stack up some memories.

No western hunts for me this fall. I’m going to try and put a record number of squirrels in the freezer and a few doves in September. Starting in October I’m going to archery hunt for whitetail for the first time in 5 or 6 years with the goal of 160” or better. December will be more deer hunting. I didn’t kill a deer last year so I will be going hard when the temps are freezing and the snow is piling up during the late muzzleloader season!

After being extra picky last year was the first time in 15 years that we did not end up with a deer or elk in the freezer so #1 goal is to actually get some venison in the freezer.

Have a few good bucks on camera on all 3 of the properties that we own, so hopefully we can get something decent while we are at it. Would be neat to get one with a crossbow and would be neat to kill an elk on our property in Colorado. Only draw tag is a New Mexico mule deer tag in a relatively decent unit so there is a good chance we could end up going from no venison last year (just pigs) to having more than we need this year.

My knees are so bad these days that I can't hike around too much. But I will be taking my bow out next month on camping trips disguised as elk hunting trips. Any updates might consist of pictures of me sitting in a camp chair drinking a beer. I have gone out every archery season since 1965 so I can't stop now. Then I have a tag for a muzzle loader deer season in November. Hopefully I'll be able to get around enough to actually try to kill something on that hunt, but it won't be far from a road. Other than that, I plan on doing more grouse, quail and turkey hunting this fall. That all opens this Friday. October is my favorite fishing month, so I'll be spending some time at the lake.

Hope everyone has some good luck, or at least a lot of fun this fall.

1. Get back on the train of shooting an antelope with my bow. Last year was the first in 6 years I didn't kill a goat with the bow.
2. Shoot a WY mule deer with the bow. I'd like to find a good buck, I'll base my standards on what I am seeing when I get there. I won't just shoot a buck to fill the tag tho, a week chasing deer with a bow is well worth the tag price.
3. Hunt a big bull in MT with the bow. I have a cow tag also, so there is a little incentive here to actually hold out.
4. Help my brother shoot his first bull with his bow. He shot a cow last year, so trying to up the ante here.
5. Find a big buck to hunt in AZ for my draw tag. Just seeing a 180"+ deer would be awesome.
6. Help my family on their respective deer/elk rifle hunts in MT. I need to be productive on my hunts in archery to make this happen.
7. Help my youngest brother find a really nice pronghorn in MT. There is some nice bucks walking around, hopefully we can find one

Update: #1 accomplished...

Attachments

• IMG_20230826_164655579.jpg
    IMG_20230826_164655579.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 22
need to get at least one bull down between my two hunts, a bull moose for my buddy, and finally get on an AZOTCDIY muley in January, and maybe a javelina.

You forgot to include making me that first cup of coffee so I have Java as soon as I open the tent zipper… need to work on your priorities.😏

And here I thought you had your boys lined up to relieve my duties this year.... ugh.

Back