What is your single top hunting season goal this year? I expect updates damn it.

Over the last year I’ve come to the realization my body won’t hold up forever to the abuses I’ve put it through over the last 20 years, mainly my ankles. For me sheep and goat have always kinda been the ultimate goal, don’t really care if I draw the tag or one of my daughters, just want to go on one. At 43 with 9 points and a handful of daughters with varying points it’s certainly possible one of us draw but just as likely I run out of WD-40 in my joints before that happens.

So next best thing I can do in the meantime, backcountry Deer and elk. This year I’m really gonna try and get in to some backcountry/high country areas and kill some mature animals. I’ve been in Montana over 10 years now and been a part of probably close to 100 deer and elk and lope hitting the ground with my girls, family and friends. In all that they were nearly all within 2 miles of a road and less than 7000 ft in elevation. The one friend I had to hunt the mountains with graduated college and moved last year so I’m pretty much on my own. My best friend is a less than 2 miles and my wife won’t let me stay overnight guy so no luck there. My daughters are in to the rifle hunts but not so much archery season. But I’m gonna get after it if I turn in to grizzly bait or not. All or nothing this season. I’m gonna kill a big mule deer or elk over 300 in the mountains, with a bow, that’s the goal.

Also going to look at Alaska in the next 5 years. And put a date on it.

I really want to set out toward some long term goals too. Alaska for anything, Hawaii for a blast and cast, or release and release preferably. I‘ve never spearfished, but damn it looks cool. My absolute longterm goal is a grizzly, and I would prefer it in a very wild place.

Well I have already had the most important goal happen. I made it out to our cabin after 3 years of healing up. Broken up neck the last time. The ol body was rode hard n put away wet. But it was sure fun !
Actually I was in a dark place for a while. This was a real healing process for me this last trip. I had a bunch of issues that had to be dealt with and a good friend to help. Now the cabin n the equipment such as wheelers n refrigeration/freezing abilities I can continue to hunt moose wolves bears. Trap lynx wolves or beaver. Comfortably.
This was a big deal for me. And now I have a great opportunity to harvest a moose for our family. Or just go hang out in the bush. Thanks to my family friends.
. And thank you to all the folks that work to make getting out and using our public lands available so more folks can have the same opportunities to get out

My goal this year will be to help my brother on his Once in Lifetime Bison hunt in UT, then get back to OR in time to hopefully find a Blacktail (seasons are exactly the same dates). I may finally break my run of getting a deer every year in OR since I was 12, but we will see. Another goal is to get my oldest grandson (6) out bear/deer/grouse hunting here at home with me a little more!

Watch my oldest son kill his first elk.
Wake up and drink coffee around our spike camp campfire and glass for elk on the ridge. - (Two weeks out.).
Take an afternoon nap while waiting to close the distance on the bull that we spotted from the early morning glassing session.
Help butcher and pack one of our parties’ elk back to the truck.
Relax.
Chase some pheasants and ducks with my labs.
Spend some time in November chasing deer.

What’s your top goal? I want you to think about this. Really challenge yourself to pick the 1. I could talk about my knees, killing a mature mule deer buck, harvesting a critter on my new property.

My long term goal has been termed the Hamm Slam. This goal specifically is to harvest mature big game on my land in Montana; elk, whitetail, mule deer, and finally a moose. That last one will take a minute.

The challenge is to narrow it down to the most critical goal for this season, but I’ve got it. I want to kill a bull this year. When I lived back in Montana 20 years ago I killed a bull nearly every year, but life changed that. I moved to Washington, and my goals shifted. I was in a seriously shitty relationship that gradually nearly eliminated all my hobbies. My opportunities and time became limited, so I focused on what I had. That was time and opportunity to hunt deer. I haven‘t killed a bull in 22 years, and I’ve killed 9.

I am hunting Washington archery elk, and all seasons in Montana. The dream would be to kill a bull with my bow, but I’ll be stoked to harvest any bull at all this year. My actions will be to get out every moment I can and hunt hard. I’ll also be learning a ton. Currently I’m shooting at least every other day, and 3D shooting a minimum of 3 times a week at Spokane Valley Archery. I am also listening to loads of podcasts and calling my brains out in my truck.

I’ll try to keep you guys updated, and look forward to you doing the same!
Bull elk is my main goal every year. I’ve never shot one, and it pains me horribly. I’ve come very close; closer each season, and I pray this year’s my year. I would think for a landowner and an outdoorsman, you have a perfect set of goals that would be incredibly rewarding to achieve! But wait, no black bear??

If you need another fella in your Montana HammSlamm party, holla! 😎😅

After reading some of these I feel like I’m slacking with goals but I put together a 30-30 at the end last year. I want to take a decent buck with open sights. Seems strange but outside of 22’s this is the first rifle I ever set up without a scope.

I’ve got a deer tag in the unit I now live in. Been saving points for seven years to be able to draw this tag, with the idea that I’d hunt it as a local when I finally made it here. Well, I’m here, I’ve got the tag, and my goal is to kill a mature buck way back in the Wilderness portion of the unit. Only have five days to make happen. October can’t get here fast enough.

I’ve got a deer tag in the unit I now live in. Been saving points for seven years to be able to draw this tag, with the idea that I’d hunt it as a local when I finally made it here. Well, I’m here, I’ve got the tag, and my goal is to kill a mature buck way back in the Wilderness portion of the unit. Only have five days to make happen. October can’t get here fast enough.
Wow, that’s a tight schedule after 7 years of applying. Best of luck, Randy, can’t wait to see him!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back