What is the ultimate outdoor job?

The best job would be something where you make 6 figures and have a ton of vacation time. Maybe like VP of a marketing for a firm that does outdoor brands and allows you to go to fun boondoggles.

Bingo, imagine all those FT videos where they introduce some guy from Leupold, Gerber, etc. And thats just FT.

The Gohunt guys seem to have a pretty kick-a$$ gig. I do wonder about the viability of their model with the proliferation of hunting sites with similar info. Although they may supplement their business with the YouTube content.

I an a firm believer in not everyone can work a job they love. So work a job that pays as much as possible so when your not working you can do the things you love. So whatever job that is.

I envy those that can still find joy in something they are paid to do, I’ve tried but it just ruined the activity for me. I spent a season as a ski coach and it took 5 years before I was really excited to ski again. Personally I would never except payment to do one of my hobbies.

pretty sure it's mine , contract wildlife veterinarian for government and tribal organizations.

Attachments

• IMG_0393.JPG
    IMG_0393.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0257.JPG
    IMG_0257.JPG
    441.4 KB · Views: 23
  • monitoring NM cow elk.jpg
    monitoring NM cow elk.jpg
    557.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 52857193_3071263779566620_547550146318041088_o.jpg
    52857193_3071263779566620_547550146318041088_o.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 14
Cant complain about mine. Spend 100-110 days a year in the field, never closer than 3 miles from where I was the previous day, usually much farther than that. I've accessed work sites on horse's, mules, jet boats, rafts, helicopters, fixed wing aircraft, motorcycles, ATV's, trucks. Worked/work extensively in AZ, MT, ID, WY, CO, UT, and NV. I've worked in a vast majority/all of the mountain ranges, wilderness areas, and NF's in all those States. Have also worked on almost all the Indian Reservations, National Parks, BLM lands, NWR's, State Parks, WSA's, etc. and even a bunch on some pretty exclusive private property, owned by some pretty famous people, as well. Have spent time on military controlled land as well as INL in Idaho. Work a maxi-flex schedule and set my own hours and days I work.

Someday, when I'm done...in 8-10 years, I'm going to print a map of all the locations I've been in those States.

Even better is lots of leave and the ability to take off 6-10 weeks a year, minimum, to hunt, solid salary, and a very good retirement. Can carry over 240 hours of leave from year to year, which I've been doing for the last 15+ years. I'll also have affordable health care allowing my wife and I both to retire anytime we want after age 58.

I enjoy what I do...most of the time.

Cant complain about mine. Spend 100-110 days a year in the field, never closer than 3 miles from where I was the previous day, usually much farther than that. I've accessed work sites on horse's, mules, jet boats, rafts, helicopters, fixed wing aircraft, motorcycles, ATV's, trucks. Worked/work extensively in AZ, MT, ID, WY, CO, UT, and NV. I've worked in a vast majority/all of the mountain ranges, wilderness areas, and NF's in all those States. Have also worked on almost all the Indian Reservations, National Parks, BLM lands, NWR's, State Parks, WSA's, etc. and even a bunch on some pretty exclusive private property, owned by some pretty famous people, as well. Have spent time on military controlled land as well as INL in Idaho. Work a maxi-flex schedule and set my own hours and days I work.

Someday, when I'm done...in 8-10 years, I'm going to print a map of all the locations I've been in those States.

Even better is lots of leave and the ability to take off 6-10 weeks a year, minimum, to hunt, solid salary, and a very good retirement. Can carry over 240 hours of leave from year to year, which I've been doing for the last 15+ years. I'll also have affordable health care allowing my wife and I both to retire anytime we want after age 58.

I enjoy what I do...most of the time.
So can you message me what you do if you don’t mind?

I envy those that can still find joy in something they are paid to do, I’ve tried but it just ruined the activity for me. I spent a season as a ski coach and it took 5 years before I was really excited to ski again. Personally I would never except payment to do one of my hobbies.

I worked as a fly fishing guide for a couple years. I had the best office in the world, but usually had to spend the days at the office with people I did not want to be with. There were some great people, but they were far and few between. It didn’t ruin my love of fishing though.

When fly fishing for trout and summer steelhead was my primary objective, being a teacher was the perfect gig. It’s tougher for hunting, but still pretty good.

Farming. I can't say that I loved it when I was growing up but over the last few years I've realized how much I miss it. There isn't anywhere that I would rather raise my kids than on a farm.
I was hoping to see somebody posting this. Grew up on a small farm in southwest Wisconsin. Wish I could do the same for my kids, but it's just so hard to make a living as a farmer now.
And honestly, one of the funnest jobs for me is running equipment all day. Worked for a township highway department years ago when I was fresh out of high school, and being a small shop, I was almost always by myself riding tractors, dump trucks, dozers and loaders etc... nobody to bug you, just go to work and do your job lol

sports illustrated swimsuit model ------oops, to late

Ranching. I grew up on a ranch, as did my children, We did some farming but it was all geared toward raising cattle. I miss the horses, cattle, dogs, haying , small garden for dinner table and canning, poultry miss it all

What are your life goals? What income level do you need to achieve those goals? Become a tradesman or technician. Or get an education in a field you have an aptitude for that will enable you to fuel your life with the $$$ needed to achieve your goals. If that means working inside to make the $$$ do it. In the long run accomplishing your end goals is what it’s all about. Great thoughts here, lots of paths to success, they all need a plan though. Best of luck!

Farming. I can't say that I loved it when I was growing up but over the last few years I've realized how much I miss it. There isn't anywhere that I would rather raise my kids than on a farm.

I love farming and I would agree that it’s a great outdoor job. I grew up helping my grandfather on his cattle farm and I had a small cattle operation before moving to Montana. It’s very tough to make a living. I had to work another job just to be able to farm. My grandfather was the same way. People farm because they love it, not to make money.

Knew of some guys who bartended at the big Panama City Beach clubs. Made tons of cash in spring and summer. Went on unemployment and hunted the rest of the year.

So besides being a camera guy for Randy what is everybody’s opinion of the ultimate outdoor job and what state? Right now mine is a Game Warden for Wyoming but looking for backup ideas.
What is your skill set? Are you military?

I don’t think I’m smart enough to be a vet.

I was a really average student in high school
pretty sure it's mine , contract wildlife veterinarian for government and tribal organizations.
Or it could be my son's job, videographer for KUIU and some outdoor companies. this year he has filmed in the Artic (archery polar bear), New Zealand for stag, tahr and chamois and Alaska twice for bear hunts. Will spend the summer on sheep hunts in NW territories and Alaska then fall on elk and deer hunts all over the west. Last year he was in the Yukon, Kyrgsistan, Kodiak , Montana etc.

Attachments

• IMG_2111.JPG
    IMG_2111.JPG
    899.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2121.JPG
    IMG_2121.JPG
    665.1 KB · Views: 24
  • FullSizeRender.jpg.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpg.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts