Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What is the ultimate outdoor job?

Not a job in the way you mean it, but I met an older couple a few years ago that managed a campground in northern Colorado way out in the sticks during the summer/fall months. I remember thinking how cool a gig that seemed like for the stage of life they were in (they concurred with my thoughts, seemed like they were really enjoying it). In September it was filled with hunters, cool vibe the few days we were there.

I have some clients that sold everything at age 50 when the kids were gone. Quit their jobs, bought a motorhome, jeep, and motorcycle and manage campgrounds year round now. I think they're in Tennesse this Summer, Southern California last Winter. Not for me, but they seem to be loving it.

Farming. I can't say that I loved it when I was growing up but over the last few years I've realized how much I miss it. There isn't anywhere that I would rather raise my kids than on a farm.

Same here. Grew up on a farm and really miss it. Didn't care for it at the time but it taught me some very valuable lifelong lessons.

I had a few friends that I went to college with that took Land Surveying Jobs with the BLM in Alaska that I was often jealous of.

I chose a different path as a Land Surveyor and decided to work close to home as I had family obligations/responsibilities to take care of. Now that I’ve been in the profession for 21 years, I no longer work in the field like I did way back then so it’s not so good for being an ultimate outdoor job. Mostly now I simply sit at a desk and stare at a computer screen. I did have a good run working outdoors though.

Game warden is a sweet job depending on where you're at. Don't listen to the folks who say "you dont get to hunt anymore", because thats not true. If you make it a priority, you get the opportunity to go out as much or more than the average joe. Sure, you work weekends and holidays most of the year, but theres something special about hunting on your days off in the middle of the week when everyone else is at work!

There is that whole thing about "making your hobby your job and its not your hobby any more" which seems to catch up to everyone eventually. I even see it in myself sometimes, like after 5 early mornings working/checking hunters it can be a hard sell to get me out of bed at the butt crack of dawn on day 6 on my day off to set off in the woods yet again.

I would say that the "Ultimate Job" is like some others stated, high paying with lots of time off. I have some buddies that are union electricians, real estate agents, or CPA's (like Randy) that don't work a day from Oct-Dec and hunt more than I ever could.

I think ClearCreek was referencing a recent high profile case involving a Sheridan County game warden who asked to be reassigned locations until things cooled down...plenty to read about that one online including HT.

That case and many, many others that never make the internet so most folks never hear about them.

ClearCreek

I'm going to throw my hat in the ring and say natural resource pilot. There are many different federal and state agencies that hire pilots to perform low level aerial wildlife surveys across the U.S. throughout the year. These surveys are important for a number of reasons, but you'll have an incredible amount of autonomy while flying in some of the most beautiful parts of the country. You'll fly in small planes equipped with wheels, skis, or floats depending on the season and region, and will need to be capable of flying in mountain environments as well as safely at low altitudes. The pay is very reasonable for federal positions (GS-12), and varies across the States. To be qualified for this position requires a combination of education and experience. The typical educational requirement is a B.S. degree in the biological sciences, but a M.S. would definitely help your application. Flight experience can range from a minimum of 1500 hours Fixed Wing for the Feds, to as low as 500 if you work as a combination biologist pilot or law enforcement/pilot.

I'm letting folks know about this (particularly college aged forum members) because it is something that requires a large amount of dedicated training to obtain. I grew up in a small town in the Black Hills and never knew that this type of aviation career was a possibility. You don't know, what you don't know, but if you've got a passion for aviation and the outdoors, this career may be exactly what you're looking for.

I am biased, but to me field based ecologist/biologist work is the best thing going as long as you're in a cool location. You learn to understand how plants, animals, soils, and ecosystems function, which I have to think is fascinating to most outdoor recreationists...it is to me anyway. Generally a mix of technical office work and time outside. It's related to hunting and fishing endeavors, but doesn't tend to bog you down in the spring and fall. If you pay yours dues the job openings are there. Pay is neither here nor there, though the coolest places to work can tend to be a little pricey. My $.02.

Game warden is a sweet job depending on where you're at. Don't listen to the folks who say "you dont get to hunt anymore", because thats not true. If you make it a priority, you get the opportunity to go out as much or more than the average joe. Sure, you work weekends and holidays most of the year, but theres something special about hunting on your days off in the middle of the week when everyone else is at work!

There is that whole thing about "making your hobby your job and its not your hobby any more" which seems to catch up to everyone eventually. I even see it in myself sometimes, like after 5 early mornings working/checking hunters it can be a hard sell to get me out of bed at the butt crack of dawn on day 6 on my day off to set off in the woods yet again.

I would say that the "Ultimate Job" is like some others stated, high paying with lots of time off. I have some buddies that are union electricians, real estate agents, or CPA's (like Randy) that don't work a day from Oct-Dec and hunt more than I ever could.

In what state are you a game warden Jt13?

ClearCreek

I'm a firefighter for a municipal department. It is not a bad gig at all. I used to do all the widland fire stuff because I loved being in remote areas to hike... but then quickly realized that it is not for the family man who enjoys recreation during those busy summer months. These days I work my butt off up until August, and I try to take a month off or so before the end of the year- and that's totally doable.
This year I will be taking August 18th through September 18th off. I'm taking the family road tripping to Glacier NP, and then going on my first OTC elk hunt in CO. So ya, firefighting is something else you can look into?

Environmental consulting is a good gig for those in highly regulated states.

This is a great gig! It depends heavily on which state you are in. I've spent the last 5 years working in this industry in AK. In AK, you are expected to be available all field season (april 15th - sept 30th). As you can see, those are not great dates. I have been fortunate to have visited the vast majority of places in AK during the last 5 years. I flew across Cook Inlet this morning for a 30 minute meeting and then came back (saw tons of belugas chasing salmon in the mouth of the Su). But I'm gone a ton and usually for weeks at a time. The work is always something different and challenging and if you are on top of your game and know how to save people big time $$$$$, you can move up quickly and pocket a ton. Eventually for me, burnout caught me and my necessary family/personal time just wasn't there. I put in my two weeks last week and will be switching to an Environmental Project Manager for the State. Home every night and weekend, unlimited time off during hunting season, lots of paid vacation, and I can still travel a couple days a month if I want. There is going to be some BIG TIME money in the Environmental consulting/regulation field in the near future; heck, there already is.

I did the Fish and Game deal for about 6 years. Got to do it all from big horns out of a chopper, trapping lions, netting paddle fish, and about anything you can name. It's great if you got your college paid for, have no hobbies, and/or your wife makes big time coin. The amount of field work makes it hard to have a secondary job to pay for life. I was loving every day but evenings were a nightmare. I had to buy used tires for my vehicle to drive to my interview the day I resigned.

After flying so much, I'm starting to work on my pilot license. That will be my fall back if I don't enjoy my new endeavor.

This is a great gig! It depends heavily on which state you are in. I've spent the last 5 years working in this industry in AK. In AK, you are expected to be available all field season (april 15th - sept 30th). As you can see, those are not great dates. I have been fortunate to have visited the vast majority of places in AK during the last 5 years. I flew across Cook Inlet this morning for a 30 minute meeting and then came back (saw tons of belugas chasing salmon in the mouth of the Su). But I'm gone a ton and usually for weeks at a time. The work is always something different and challenging and if you are on top of your game and know how to save people big time $$$$$, you can move up quickly and pocket a ton. Eventually for me, burnout caught me and my necessary family/personal time just wasn't there. I put in my two weeks last week and will be switching to an Environmental Project Manager for the State. Home every night and weekend, unlimited time off during hunting season, lots of paid vacation, and I can still travel a couple days a month if I want. There is going to be some BIG TIME money in the Environmental consulting/regulation field in the near future; heck, there already is.

I did the Fish and Game deal for about 6 years. Got to do it all from big horns out of a chopper, trapping lions, netting paddle fish, and about anything you can name. It's great if you got your college paid for, have no hobbies, and/or your wife makes big time coin. The amount of field work makes it hard to have a secondary job to pay for life. I was loving every day but evenings were a nightmare. I had to buy used tires for my vehicle to drive to my interview the day I resigned.

After flying so much, I'm starting to work on my pilot license. That will be my fall back if I don't enjoy my new endeavor.
College will be paid for and I will also be receiving a retirement check which will be somewhere around 2500 a month.

Lots of wisdom in there. I turned down a job in the environmental consulting field because of concerns about family time and burnout. I also know that many of the environmental consultants I have worked with can't hardly enjoy it because they are always having to think about the next "sale". They can end up sounding a lot like used car salesmen. Some can do it all and keep it balanced, but I don't plan to ever do it full time unless I have to.

One job no one has mentioned is Cult Leader. You get a bunch of people to give you all their money and worldly possessions so you can buy a big old ranch up against some inaccessible public land in Montana or somewhere. Then you can just hunt and fish all you want while your minions… I mean loyal followers, do all the work on the ranch. And all you have to pay them is three meals a day of rice and beans. On top of that you get first crack at all the pretty young women.:D

Gouch,

I think you have to be crazy to have that position and I do not know of one crazy Cult leader that was a hunter. The whole position is somewhat hedonistic.

But, there were some cults in remote New Mexico. I would not give the Leader that much sense.

Back