Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

What is the ultimate outdoor job?

Scott85

So besides being a camera guy for Randy what is everybody’s opinion of the ultimate outdoor job and what state? Right now mine is a Game Warden for Wyoming but looking for backup ideas.

Not a job in the way you mean it, but I met an older couple a few years ago that managed a campground in northern Colorado way out in the sticks during the summer/fall months. I remember thinking how cool a gig that seemed like for the stage of life they were in (they concurred with my thoughts, seemed like they were really enjoying it). In September it was filled with hunters, cool vibe the few days we were there.

Is there a Temporal limitation to this question? If not, this is the greatest job to have ever existed. 04E4CFD5-1BF1-444B-A1EE-3F96E8D62519.jpeg

I am a mapmaker born 100 years too late.

I do think there are field technician jobs in the world of geology and fisheries science which would be sweet outdoor jobs, though the pay probably isn’t there.

When I first got out of the Navy, I worked (if you wanna call it work) for 2 years on a catamaran in St John taking out snorkelers and serving drinks on sunset cruises. Didn't pay squat but it was the ultimate outdoor job. Good memories!

I teach advanced hunter education classes. Can't imagine more fun of a job. Just setup an orienteering course today in Paradise Valley. Was thinking when I did I have a pretty nice office.

Is there a Temporal limitation to this question? If not, this is the greatest job to have ever existed. View attachment 108202

I am a mapmaker born 100 years too late.

I do think there are field technician jobs in the world of geology and fisheries science which would be sweet outdoor jobs, though the pay probably isn’t there.

Being on a GLO survey crew would have been incredible.

Now a days, staking curb in the subdivision isn’t a lot of fun (and thankfully I don’t do that anymore) but the days retracing original GLO surveys with the original notes and the township plat, especially in extremely rural areas that had never been remonumented are some of the best work days I’ve ever had. There’s something special about using terrain calls to recover a scribed stone set in 1885-1910 that has never been recovered.

For me it has changed. Early in my career I was all about fish and wildlife technician work, getting my hands on critters in wild places: fieldwork. But, having seasoned a little, there is something to be said for getting projects done: being part of an access project, replacing culverts, stream restoration, etc.

So besides being a camera guy for Randy what is everybody’s opinion of the ultimate outdoor job and what state? Right now mine is a Game Warden for Wyoming but looking for backup ideas.

Regarding the underlined phrase in your quote above, I wonder if you actually know everything a Wyoming GW has to do and gets involved in.

ClearCreek

Regarding the underlined phrase in your quote above, I wonder if you actually know everything a Wyoming GW has to do and gets involved in.

ClearCreek
Well no not really, not very much to read online.

Well no not really, not very much to read online.
I think ClearCreek was referencing a recent high profile case involving a Sheridan County game warden who asked to be reassigned locations until things cooled down...plenty to read about that one online including HT.

Last edited:
Probably some type of federal "game warden" LEO type job in a western state with that 20year retirement program. :)

Game Warden would be the worst! Who would want a job where your busy ‘all hands on deck’ time is hunting season. Most wardens I know don’t hunt that much for themselves.

The best job would be something where you make 6 figures and have a ton of vacation time. Maybe like VP of a marketing for a firm that does outdoor brands and allows you to go to fun boondoggles.

Legal counsel for the NRA was probably awesome while it lasted ;)

I really enjoyed being a "game warden" in SE Arizona. Hunting season in AZ is 8-9 months long, coues deer, mule deer, antelope, elk, javelina, turkey and quail. Hunting opening weekend wasn't allowed as that was when most of the customers were out and about. During the week and during the OTC archery hunts there was plenty of time to hunt. I would usually hunt 5-6 weeks a year. I'm not sure that this would be possible in states with shorter hunting seasons.

My dad worked as a field geologist for an oil company in Colorado during the energy crisis of the early 80's. Basically got to fish, hike, climb, photograph wildlife after work every day in the field. Rough life...

I have done several population and sex/age class survey projects for small and large animals, as well as capture and relocate big game animals. I don't know if it's something I'd like doing all the time, but did have a lot of fun for the time I did (maybe 4 months combined).

I really treasure the winters I spent teaching skiing, and the summers building trails in CO's Black Canyon. Autumns off, like Big Fin wrote. There's no head like trailhead.

When I was a teenager my dad asked me what I wanted to do with my life. I said I don't exactly know but I just want to work in the woods. Spent 27 years doing cadastral surveying for the forest service and BLM, with an occasional engineering survey thrown in to break up the monotony. I worked pretty much every day in the woods so I guess it worked out as planned. I found tons on new hunting, hiking, mushrooming and shed hunting areas while working and I always knew exactly where the property boundary was. I don't know if it was the best outdoor job because of all the government BS and budget worries but with the 8 hours per pay period annual leave and 10 paid holidays per year it left plenty of time for getting out of the woods and getting into the woods to hunt. I never got rich but all and all a pretty good time.

Back