Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What is the Oldest Rifle You Actually Hunt Big Game with ?

Ruger M77 tanger in 30-06 unmolested with a VX3 3.5-10x40. Great shooter.
I have had it since about 1988 or there abouts. Had a Bushnell Trophy 3-9 on it until about 2006.

My wife and 12 year old daughter use this Brit 303, 1942 M1-Long Branch with a Leopold 3-12X scope and custom stock made by my father-in-law. It shoots great groups and isn't picky on the brand of ammo. 303 ammo's been a little easier to find at a reasonable price, so I might be hunting with it when I run out of .280 ammo! 303_M1_1942-Long Branch.jpg

Not as old as many of yours, but my Grandpa's Remington 760 in 30-06. It's killed my best white-tail and a handful of other critters. Most of the time, it stays home though in favor of something a bit more weather tolerant and lighter.

I have n old Remington 600 in .243 with a short little 18" barrel. I'm not sure how old it is, it's basically the gun I'm starting my kids on. Here's a pic of my daughter's first deer she shot with it, although it's hard to see the rifle real well.IMG_20201016_173933728.jpg

Savage Model 99E in .250 Savage. It’s been a number of years, but I have killed multiple deer with that gun. That particular rifle was made in 1939. Every male family member (immediate family) on my father’s side killed their first deer with that gun (grandfather, dad, uncle, me, and a first cousin). Maybe I can get my daughters to use it for their first one day (don’t have any boys).

Mine is a pre 64 standard weight model 70 Winchester made in 1953 in .270 with a Weaver fixed 6x power scope.

Also hunt with a FN Belgium commercial Mauser with no serial #. Any idea how old that might be?
Not sure if anyone answered your question as I didn't read through all the comments. Your gun could be anywhere from 1968 or older. Serial numbers weren't required until after the gun control act of 68.

Great thread with awesome responses. I'll have to dig up some photos - but as a list that is in the safe:

- 03 Enfield (original stock) There is some trimming work my grandfather did on the stock to fit my then 12 y/o dad. Other than the stock work, it's all original and has taken more deer than anything in my safe. Recoil is pretty tough though - and I'm not typically recoil sensitive

- 20 ga. Lefever, Nitro special. My Dad restocked it (and did all of the inlay, exterior work etc by himself). Shot all of my first birds with it. My kids will start using it this summer for practice.

- BLR 81 in .308. Purchased 1988 by me as a 12 y/o. Still shoots MOA with handloads and has over a 20 elk history.

I am primarily a bow hunter so the only rifle I have ever killed a big game animal with is my dads Remington model 722 in .300 Sav. That he got right after WWII. I lost that gun in the fire last year. I found a couple of grip and grin pics with that old rifle. Don't laugh, my hunting partner is a great guy but a lousy photographer bear.jpg
ELK 14.JPG

I am primarily a bow hunter so the only rifle I have ever killed a big game animal with is my dads Remington model 722 in .300 Sav. That he got right after WWII. I lost that gun in the fire last year. I found a couple of grip and grin pics with that old rifle. Don't laugh, my hunting partner is a great guy but a lousy photographer View attachment 178280
View attachment 178282

Don't blame the photographer.

Back