What is the Oldest Rifle You Actually Hunt Big Game with ?

I have and use pretty much the same gun. My grandma bought it for grandpa in 52. I did replace the scope when the crosshairs started creeping to the left. It is now topped with a Leupold.
I had a pre ‘64 in 30-06. Hope to get an Elk with it some day. So far only pigs and coyotes.

Can’t use rifles for deer here in good ole Illinois...which may be a good thing based on some really bad firearms incidents I’ve seen here over the years. Some folks here should be forced to use nerf guns here for their first year in the stand. Teach your kids early and take them to the range to learn good safety habits. I always took gun safety for granted as I was growing up…but after meeting some who didn’t and seeing some really scary practices at the range I’ve realized there are many who need some friendly guidance and a nudge to take hunter safety, even if they don’t hunt.

ooops…went down a rabbit hole there...now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

No pun intended, but the issue of rifle weight really bears down on me as deer and elk season approach.

The rifle I most enjoy shooting is my made in 1952 Model 70 Winchester Standard weight in .270. It just wants to shoot tight groups, sub ½ inch three shot groups at 100 yards with an original and restored steel Weaver scope. This rig is heavy and where I always hunt is always steep then STEEPER.

It’s competition is a Kimber Hunter in 280AI, at 5 ¾ pounds of rifle weight, then add a light aluminum modern 3X-9X scope, it is a dream mountain. It shoots under 1” for three shot groups at 100 yards. I bought it last year.

I have a buckle hole in my belt for hunting season. Being able to still hunt steep at 73 is about being light, lean and loose.

Heading not “in” but “up” is not where rifle weight becomes too much of a burden.

Worse is coming out and down carrying deer quarters. That is where that extra rifle weight really feels oppressive.

The rifle I would most like to hunt with again is my model 54 Winchester in 30-06 made in the late 1920’s.

It is an aperture sight only rifle. My eyes are just too old for such sights anymore, but in times past I just adorned hunting with that rifle.

My model 54 was the key to unlocking a door into an era all but forgotten now.

It was made during the wealthy roaring 20’s and it’s high level of quality is so obvious to both eye and hand.

A Remington 700 LH that I bought new in 1975. It's been modified a scosch; it's now a 6.5-06AI teflon coated with a nicer stock. Also wears Leupold glass.

ioas6Z0.jpg

If it's what I actively hunt with, I'm going to be boring to the nostalgia crowd. One of my favorite hunting rifles is my 7 SAUM, vintage winter 2018. The other favorite is my 300 RUM, 1999?, but it's running a different stock and barrel than the original. I know, I'm boring.
Do you load your own 7 saum?

No pun intended, but the issue of rifle weight really bears down on me as deer and elk season approach.

The rifle I most enjoy shooting is my made in 1952 Model 70 Winchester Standard weight in .270. It just wants to shoot tight groups, sub ½ inch three shot groups at 100 yards with an original and restored steel Weaver scope. This rig is heavy and where I always hunt is always steep then STEEPER.

It’s competition is a Kimber Hunter in 280AI, at 5 ¾ pounds of rifle weight, then add a light aluminum modern 3X-9X scope, it is a dream mountain. It shoots under 1” for three shot groups at 100 yards. I bought it last year.

I have a buckle hole in my belt for hunting season. Being able to still hunt steep at 73 is about being light, lean and loose.

Heading not “in” but “up” is not where rifle weight becomes too much of a burden.

Worse is coming out and down carrying deer quarters. That is where that extra rifle weight really feels oppressive.

The rifle I would most like to hunt with again is my model 54 Winchester in 30-06 made in the late 1920’s.

It is an aperture sight only rifle. My eyes are just too old for such sights anymore, but in times past I just adorned hunting with that rifle.

My model 54 was the key to unlocking a door into an era all but forgotten now.

It was made during the wealthy roaring 20’s and it’s high level of quality is so obvious to both eye and hand.
I've hunted with a 06 most of my life, with 55 gr. Acceleraters to 200 gr. BTHP never had problems. I was gifted a Mod. 70 Win Feather lite in 308 few years ago, but it's show quality and I can't bear to take it to the woods so I opted for a Howa Hough 308 last year. Picked up a 300 Win Mag a TC Venture few years ago for a Ram hunt in NM with my son, love it (w/Pachmyer butt pad)
Just last few weeks bought a 243 from Howa to carry this year deer hunting my "Target" 243 mauser is just to heavy for "Carry" all great calibers, all have there place. All make me happy to have along with my camera, sometimes I shoot with rifle, sometimes with camera.
Always a great hunt😉

Last edited:
Early 80s Marlin 336. It's a shooter and will do most of what anyone needs done. Rarely hunt it, though.

Kirk how about some history on your new rifle.

I have never seen one up close, until a couple days ago. I have been to Cody and Denver shows and don’t recall seeing one. When it came out of the case, I jumped on it so hard I almost broke the counter. It isn’t anything I have been looking for, I just saw it and had the impulse that I needed to buy it.

I will have to do more research. The internals are interesting, nothing like I have seen before. It has a brass elevator, much the same as a 1873 Winchester. It loads into the magazine on the bottom of the rifle.

I have had to change the ammunition that I already have for my 1886 40-65’s as it won’t chamber due to the sharp shoulder of that bullet. I do have some bullets that are more tapered and they do chamber and shoot.

I shot it today at a rock and have it minute of rabbit at least, maybe mog (minute of grouse), I should know tomorrow.

1940 Model 70 30/06 with 20 inch barrel. 1935 winchester model 61 22LR first year made. 1947 model 94 32 Special, and a 1939 I think High Standard Model D target from New York City. All great shooters.

A few years ago I shot a nice 8 point whitetail with my GGrandfathers 30WCF made around 1936 or so. I knew I wasn't going to need to shoot more than 75 yards so it seemed like a no brainer. Dropped like it was hit with a lightning bolt at 65 yards or so.

My only big game rifle is a Sears model 53 .30-06 which my grandpa bought in the late 60's. I have taken all of my rifle big game with that gun minus a couple deer with a Savage 110 30-06 which I sold some time back.

I also have a Marlin 336 Texan with an early 80's serial number.

Those are my two oldest guns.

Back