Caribou Gear Tarp

What is the most RELIABLE Goose Gun...

JoseCuervo

I am doing some 3rd party Christmas Shopping for somebody. I was told to go buy them a goose gun that does not jam.

The requirements are:
3"
Must be able to be thrown in sand, dirt, mud.
Autoloader

I am a Browning user, and like my A-500R. The gun being replaced is a 11-87 that has jammed once too many times, so Remington products are OUT!

What are your suggestions?

Well I knw you are trying to surprise me Gunner, sorry, but I want Benelli SBE. :D

I have an Benelli Super-90 and it has worked well for me. BTW, I treat it like crap, but as long as I clean it once-in-awhile it performs well.

I've got the beretta. its a dandy. No kick, and it will shoot under any conditions, supposedly even under water.

The AL391 "Urika" is designed as more of an upland gun, although it should handle any 3" goose load fine.

In the Beretta line, the premium "goose gun" is they AL391 Xtrema. It is a composite stocked gun chambered to take up to the 3 1/2" shells. These seem to be incredibly reliable, although some people seem to have trouble fitting them due to the longer stock.

The Benelli SBE and SBE II are also very very good goose guns, and you will pay for it. To me they are sinful ugly, but they are incredibly reliable. You will pay about $250-300 more than the Beretta Xtrema.

I would stay away from the Browning Golds and the Winchester Super X-2. I have had MANY problems with mine that seem to not be confined to just me. Alot of guys have problems with these cycling especially in cooler weather.

My .02

The Benelli in Camo (3") was $920. Not sure which model, is that the Black Eagle?

The Beretta Extremas were 3.5" camo for $998 and black for $898.

I looked at the Winnie X2, and was not impressed. No Browning Gold Hunters in stock.

Any thoughts?

It was either the M1 or M2. If it had rubber stuff on cheek plate the stock (their comfort tech system) it was the M2, if was only composite, it was the M1.

If you do decide to go with a 3" instead of a 3 1/2", I would probably go with a Benelli. The 391 is a great gun that is easy to break down.

IMO, a 3 1/2" gun is completely unnecessary. Their range is not greatly improved over 3" shells and the shells are quite a bit more expensive. If alot of your shooting is at a distance (40 yds +), I would suggest that instead of a 3 1/2" steel round, that one goes to Hevi-shot. That stuff is better than lead ever was and when you consider that it wounds alot less birds and as your shots:kill ratio improves, it ends up not being that much more expensive than steel.

If most of the hunting is going to be done over decoys, most of your shots will be within a reasonable range in which 3" steel is as good as anything. Alot of the geese we shot this year we could have damn near killed with nerf balls they were so close.

I plan on reloading a bunch of hevi-shot for next year's spring goose season. I have seen tests where #2 Hevi-shot will still completely pass through a sheet of tin at 80 yds. And since it is so heavy, you can get away with smaller shot and increasing your payload for incredible patterns.

What is the differnece on the M1 to M2 to SBE?

And I think 3" is adequate. It is all shooting over decoys, and my favorite way is to jump shoot them AFTER they have landed in the decoys....

I have the M1 Super 90. The only difference between that and the SBE is the 3.5". Mine is only 3". I know nothing about the M2.

What small said about the 3" vs 3.5" is what I have heard as well. Good info. from the No Dak guy (I guess there is one out there). ;) :D

and my favorite way is to jump shoot them AFTER they have landed in the decoys....

and I thought your favorite way of jump shooting them was in the howling wind off of a small stock pond while antelope hunting. After bouncing around the better part of Eastern Montana. :D

Nemont

I think the M2 uses the same action as the M1, the only difference is the use of the comfort tech stock that is supposed ot cut down on recoil.

Gunner- On Saturday we were in a corn field with 7 guys and we only needed 2 birds to fill out our limit. We had a flock of 12 or so birds come in and we landed about half of them. They were right in front of EVERYONE and no one really knew who should shoot. The birds ended up getting up and flying away without anyone ever shooting or even popping out of their blinds. On the video you can hear me laughing my arse off as they flew away. A pair did end up coming back and got crushed on the deck about 15 yds out to finish the day.

And I just reread your original post...I still think the Browning A-5 is one of the greatest autoloaders ever. I believe I am going to pick up one of those old square backs when I dump my Browning Gold (I am probably going to pick up an AL391 Teknys as well).

mtmiller said:
Mine is only 3".
Bummer dude....

$920 Benelli M1 in Camo
$920 Benelli M2 in Black
$1099 SBE in Black
$1350 SBE-II in Camo

The Beretta Extremas were 3.5" camo for $998 and black for $898.

I am starting to see the trend...

Nemont,
Thems was just ducks on the stock pond.... If they were geese, I would have used the rifle from the window of the pick-up.... :cool:

Smalls,
Too many times, the easiest geese get away.... And you end up having to work with 3 shots per goose at leery ones.... :BLEEP:

Gunner- I've shot my Berretta 303A since the mid 80's and its been bulletproof as a semi-auto. My old Browing A5 and Rem1100 haven't left the closet for decades (they used to come out of the closet more than Moosie ;) ) but this shotgun does it all for me now from ducks to turkeys.

Don't think you can go wrong with the Beretta line IMHO...

miller...3" :eek: :eek: no wonder you hunt so much :D :D

I hunt ducks & geese and shoot sporting clays with a Browning Gold and don't have the problems some have talked about. I shoot 3" whlie hunting and don't have any problems at all

While shooting Sporting Clays this year I may have had 2 or3 jams but i shot over 5ooo rounds with it to.

I like my Berretta 390 real well. The only time it has jammed is when I was in your cornfield. I'm not much of a waterfowler though. I bought for the chukar hunting.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back