Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What is the dumbest thing that someone has ever asked/said while you were hunting?

My brother is not a hunter, but spends a lot of time canoeing in the wilderness in Northern Ontario. One trip he comes back and excitedly tells me they spotted a mule deer. I ask, a mule deer, eh? Not many of them in Ontario, how do you know it wasn't a regular old whitetail? He says well, it looked like a mule.

I still wonder whether it was one of the small number of elk we have in pockets aronud here, or some other mythical creature that science hasn't identified.

I was in the parking lot of a walk-in HMA glassing a herd of whitetail does down the valley at 500 yards to see if they had bucks with them during the rut last year, when a Subaru pulls up right next to my truck and two characters in sweats and tennies and hunter-orange hats get out. Dude 1 to his friend: 'Do you think it's worth trying to hunt?' Dude 2 replies 'Well, I don't see any critters out.' Dude 1: 'No point wasting our energy then.' Dude 2: 'Let's find somewhere better.' And they jump in the vehicle and leave.
Possible well known HT'er? @wllm ?

Last edited:
My wife’s family from Minnesota comes back turkey hunting every year. A few years ago they brought a friend. Said friend and wife’s uncle sit in a blind behind my house. I get back from helping everyone else chase turkeys. Those 2 are in my front yard high fiving and drinking celebratory beer with a dead turkey. Said friend says “holy cow I got a jake, but it’s got a nice beard”. I can almost immediately tell from 30 yards it’s a hen.

They thought the snood over the beak was the beard…….🤦‍♂️

My wife’s family from Minnesota comes back turkey hunting every year. A few years ago they brought a friend. Said friend and wife’s uncle sit in a blind behind my house. I get back from helping everyone else chase turkeys. Those 2 are in my front yard high fiving and drinking celebratory beer with a dead turkey. Said friend says “holy cow I got a jake, but it’s got a nice beard”. I can almost immediately tell from 30 yards it’s a hen.

They thought the snood over the beak was the beard…….🤦‍♂️
Snood and Wattle sounds like something you'd see on a law firm's shingle...

I bugled in a couple hunters last year. They proceeded to ask me if I seen anything.

I think one had a fire-bull hat.

A few years ago the wife and I were out in Wyoming hunting antelope in a well known unit with challenging access. Day 1 or 2 we were cruising roads checking access, WIA's and assessing pressure trying to come up with a plan for the week. I turn down a country road and 3 guys in an out of state SUV flag me down.
SUV guys: "you outa state hunting antelope?"
Me: "Yep"
SUV Guys: "How do you know where to hunt?
Me: "Well, I find accessible BLM, State land, HMA's and WIA's then glass them for game?"
SUV Guys: Were not sure what all that is. We came out figuring we could hunt anywhere but have seen some private property signs so we're kinda confused."
Me: "Do you have Onxmaps, a gps or a unit map?"
SUV Guys: "No, all we have is this..." Showing me a gas station state map.
Me: "Go to the Game and Fish office in Gillette and they should be able to help you out."

A few years ago the wife and I were out in Wyoming hunting antelope in a well known unit with challenging access. Day 1 or 2 we were cruising roads checking access, WIA's and assessing pressure trying to come up with a plan for the week. I turn down a country road and 3 guys in an out of state SUV flag me down.
Me: "Well, I find accessible BLM, State land, HMA's and WIA's then glass them for game?"
SUV Guys: Were not sure what all that is. We came out figuring we could hunt anywhere but have seen some private property signs so we're kinda confused."
Me: "Go to the Game and Fish office in Gillette and they should be able to help you out."
You win. Holy smokes

abt 35 yrs ago I was at work looking up at a flock of geese flying by and an old timer asks me ever notice one side of the V is always longer than the other, and I say Yea why Is that
He says well theirs more geese on that side lol
Ive used that for 35 yrs and get a few every yr

I had a guy I bumped into hiking a ridge opening morning on an elk. He asked me if I had any idea where the elk could be.

I stared at him a bit and told him we were both standing on the same ridge, looking at the same country for elk. No, I didn’t.

Gaggle of Brozeman hunters were hunting with the wind directly at their backs proceeded to stampede a herd of elk to the the next precinct. I was watching them with the wind directly in my face. Ran in to them on the road and they had the audacity to ask if I had seen that herd of elk they were sneaking on and why those elk spooked so badly.

Gaggle of Brozeman hunters were hunting with the wind directly at their backs proceeded to stampede a herd of elk to the the next precinct. I was watching them with the wind directly in my face. Ran in to them on the road and they had the audacity to ask if I had seen that herd of elk they were sneaking on and why those elk spooked so badly.
That must have been before they attended one of the hunting summits or master classes. They are prolly core af now

It’s funnier to imagine them driving to Gillette and looking for the WGFD office that doesn’t exist

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back