What is the dumbest thing that someone has ever asked/said while you were hunting?

a coworker of mine said he hunts with 3 different kinds of ammo in his 243 at the same time, all with very different POIs. I stay to myself most of the time though
A relative of mine used to carry different bullets in his leather shell belt when I was a kid. I got the most enjoyment out of his thoughts on using the round nose spitzers as “brush busters”. I love to think of this scenario where he had a bull in close brush and is ejecting rounds out of his magazine to swap in the brush busters

I know they're not game wardens or anything, but...
Had a park ranger not know the difference between antelope and elk as we had to get our game heads checked before driving through Yellowstone Park one year.
Had to literally ask us, "which one is the elk?" ...There were four antelope and one elk head 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
“Are you hunting?”

As I am packing out the head of my last bull elk and nearly to my truck off the trail another hunter pulls up and asks “Did you kill that in unit XX?” (Unit XX was 20 miles away). I told him I sure did kill it in unit XX.

Attachments

• B8E79F08-269A-4C7A-8576-402F24768891.jpeg
    B8E79F08-269A-4C7A-8576-402F24768891.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
One time at deer camp...
In PA, back at camp for lunch, my friend's uncle says "Can't believe we didn't see any deer. We sure got up early enough."
Like the deer crawl into holes after the sun comes up.
That was my last trip to that deer camp. I found better mentors.

My brother and two friends tripled on bull elk during a nasty storm and managed to get all three of them and all three people on a single quad, as we did when we were all teenagers and only one of us had a quad, elk were stacked as one can imagine, a whole one essentially riding on the seat with the driver straddling it, and quarters with hide on and a person on top on both front and back racks, they were stopped by no less than 5 people who all asked: "see anything?"
to which they responded "nope, pretty slow out today" not a single person made a comment about the mound of elk that pretty much hid the entire quad...

We were talking about Canada geese one day at work when a younger guy said, "not many of them get really old." I asked why he thought that. He replied, "because there's less of the big white ones."
I was completely confused. As he kept talking I realized he was talking about SWANS! He genuinely believed that geese grew into swans, that as they continued to grow they got bigger and whe old turned white, like old peoples hair.

I was in the parking lot of a walk-in HMA glassing a herd of whitetail does down the valley at 500 yards to see if they had bucks with them during the rut last year, when a Subaru pulls up right next to my truck and two characters in sweats and tennies and hunter-orange hats get out. Dude 1 to his friend: 'Do you think it's worth trying to hunt?' Dude 2 replies 'Well, I don't see any critters out.' Dude 1: 'No point wasting our energy then.' Dude 2: 'Let's find somewhere better.' And they jump in the vehicle and leave.

Me and a buddy had doubled up on deer one morning. We were about a 4-mile hike in along a very popular hiking trail. As we were packing out the meat and antlers with rifles slung over our shoulders, most of the Sierra Club hikers were giving us plenty of room and glaring at us. But there was one man from another country that was extremely interested in what we were doing. He kept asking in his thick accent, "bighorn sheep?". Every time he asked I replied that no, we were deer hunting and these were mule deer. He didn't care and wanted to get a photo with us and our "bighorn sheep", with him in the photo too. Only time I have ever had a tourist want to get a photo with a shaggy, bloody, dude packing out of the high country.

Back