PEAX Equipment

What is the best piece of advice tht you have ever been given?

From my Dad on the day I started my first "regular" PT job knowing I had an eye for young ladies...."Son, don't sh#t where you eat". I have seen many have loads of trouble over this one through the years.

Oma: "Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD" This has become my family motto for the simplest of guidance. A close corollary is "You are free to do anything you are willing to face the outcome/consequences of"

Mom: My mom was a single mother struggling to feed me at this point and soon to find out she had terminal cancer. Nobody is going to be there to save you, care for you or give you anything. You have to be able to take care of yourself and if you want anything out of life it is your responsibility to get the education(or training) to make yourself marketable and then then WORK for what you want. She made sure that as a preteen I knew how to cook, clean and care for myself. Hard truths have always saved me from rough surprises and shocking disappointment. I wish she had lived to see my adult life that she laid the foundation for.

There are a few on here I should try and take to heart.

I guess I have two, both from my grandpa.

The first isn't really advice I suppose, but once I reached a certain age, if my Grandpa asked me for either a knife or a way to start a fire while not at the house and I didn't have it, there were repercussions. Didn't matter if we were headed to town to get supper or heading out on an all day trap check. That has stuck with me always and been passed along to my son.

The other one from my Grandpa that has probably played a part in what I have become was "If you can't outspend them, out work them, then when you can out spend them, out work them anyway." That was said often in the context of his commercial fishing and trapping. He also like to use it when some of the folks he called "big shots" would be braggadocios in someway or another. He also said it anytime something had went awry that we couldn't afford to fix by going and buying a new one or a part or whatever and had to find a fix with what we had on hand.

I always took it to mean that if you work your tail off when a challenge was encountered you can overcome it regardless of how much money you have to throw at it.

Does that mean work for yourself, or don’t screw anyone at work (like the boss’ daughter)?
Hell comes to those who play with the drop dead sexy staff, etc. Basically a quote shared that was intended to keep the personal drama outside the work environment. My brains found that very hard to follow. ;) Boss' daughter certainly included.

Sorry for the long game quote though this one my uncle read to me as a young one... more than a few times.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Loose lips sink ships

And snitches end up in ditches..

a favorite of my cousin who is on his third stretch in club fed. Should get out next year..

Probably not a good one to follow unless your really good at it.

Mom: My mom was a single mother struggling to feed me at this point and soon to find out she had terminal cancer. Nobody is going to be there to save you, care for you or give you anything. You have to be able to take care of yourself and if you want anything out of life it is your responsibility to get the education(or training) to make yourself marketable and then then WORK for what you want. She made sure that as a preteen I knew how to cook, clean and care for myself. Hard truths have always saved me from rough surprises and shocking disappointment. I wish she had lived to see my adult life that she laid the foundation for.
I send each new employee I hire two books. One is No Excuses by Kyle Maynard, and the other is Extreme Ownership by Navy Seal Jocko Willink. The latter epitomizes your mom’s ethic. Only YOU own your outcome. Yes, others can and will help, but YOU have to own it. Great lesson!

Sorry for the long game quote though this one my uncle read to me as a young one... more than a few times.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt
Reminds me of what I used to tell the kids when I coached hockey - if you’re not falling then you’re not trying hard enough!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back