Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What is the best piece of advice tht you have ever been given?

220yotekiller

Hey Guys, what is the best piece of advice that you have ever been given? Whether it has anything to do with hunting or not. My two grandfathers gave me mine.

"Don't ever go out without a coat and something to drink in your truck, you never know when you are going to be cold or thirsty." Grandpa Osborn

"Don't go hunting without a pocket full of shells and a lighter." Grandpa Tuck

I don't know how many times that I have taken advantage of these pieces of advice, dozens probably. But i can tell you with great detail about the times that I didn't listen!

"You only live once, life's all about the story"

Beyond the whole #YOLO or white girl Carpe Diem tattoo; it's something that one of my mentors has told me early in my career and I've now lived most of my adult life by it. When an opportunity presents itself, I step forward and jump in. I've done a ridiculous amount of awesome shyt and taking risks has gotten me here. I have a great career and live a full and exciting life with my wife and kids. For me, life is all about the story and people I live it with. I know that when I'm on my death bed I won't regret not taking chances and f*ck me do I have some good stories!

The second one was also said to me by a mentor when I reached my first leadership position in the army: "Once you leave the Army, it will no longer be there for you. The only people that will, are going to be your friends and family, and the way you treated them while you were in the Army will dictate if they are still there for you or not."

This quote has molded me into the leader that I am today. Priority for me and my troops will always be them and their families. The Army comes second, family and members first. A big part of that is mental health, if guys keep shyt inside and wait too long to reach out for help, they will reach a point of no-return and this will directly affect their family and friends. I've seen too many guys miss out on important mile stones because they put work first, don't miss out on your first baby's ultrasound because you don't want to be "that guy" and "bother" your Sgt (FYI, that was me).

“Just because you’re right doesn’t mean you’re right.”

There’s lots of ways this applies, but in today’s polarized social environment it speaks to the need to try and at least understand other people’s perspectives vs. being so binary and judgmental. In relationships (which is the context in which I first heard it - marriage counseling) it’s about valuing the relationship and impacts that arguing your point (even if you’re technically correct) has on those relations. In other words, you may be right about the issue, but you’re wrong to continue arguing it if it’s damaging the relationship.

I struggle with it, so I guess that’s why I’ve always considered it good advice. I’d guess a few other “not to be named” HT’ers do as well! 😂

Back