Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What Have You Owned for 50 Years Or More?

A teddy bear:ROFLMAO:
But I can't be bothered to go in the attic looking for it.

Other than that, the closest thing is a Puma folding knife purchased in 1974

Cheers

Richard

50 years ago I bought a saddle from the Manix store in Augusta, Mt. Still have it. I still have the Remington bullet knife from my Grandfather as well as the 8mm Mauser carbine I missed a nice 3 point Muley with when I was 12 lol. Then there are the Savage Anshutz 22 target rifle and Win, model 1200 12 gauge I got for my 12th birthday. Oh and I can't forget my Ruana knife and model 70 300 H&H I got as a teenager.
I have some other things that bring back fond memory's along with the above. Cool thread here thanks.

Remember when guns were still considered O.K.? I couldn't wait until Christmas in 1961 for a set of Shootin' Shell guns. As kids we would circle things in the back of the Sears catalog and put our name by it, hoping that Santa would bring something we circled.

That Christmas I only circled one item...

thumbnail_IMG_2215.jpg

Mine is a ruger 10/22 that I paid for with my lawn mower money. It was the first purchase of any substance I ever made with my own money for the sum of $39.
That would be me too except my brother stole it and gave it to some buddy of his in California.

I have a Sheridan Blue Streak pellet rifle still that I bought with my first 4H lamb profits.

50 years ago I bought a saddle from the Manix store in Augusta, Mt. Still have it. I still have the Remington bullet knife from my Grandfather as well as the 8mm Mauser carbine I missed a nice 3 point Muley with when I was 12 lol. Then there are the Savage Anshutz 22 target rifle and Win, model 1200 12 gauge I got for my 12th birthday. Oh and I can't forget my Ruana knife and model 70 300 H&H I got as a teenager.
I have some other things that bring back fond memory's along with the above. Cool thread here thanks.
...and the Manix store was over 50 years old at the time...

I remember seeing those in my rear view mirror...
In 1969 fellow Army aviator friend who drove a 65 GTO raced me in my canary yellow 68 GTO from Virginia, where we had just finished training with orders to Vietnam, to his home in Sparks, Nevada. (We stopped only once to rent a motel room to watch a football game.) The two GTO's took turns passing one another at high speeds, with no proven winner ... but my yellow canary was certainly the prettier Pontiac.:D

I certainly wish I still owned that car!

In 1969 fellow Army aviator friend who drove a 65 GTO raced me in my canary yellow 68 GTO from Virginia, where we had just finished training with orders to Vietnam, to his home in Sparks, Nevada. (We stopped only once to rent a motel room to watch a football game.) The two GTO's took turns passing one another at high speeds, with no proven winner ... but my yellow canary was certainly the prettier Pontiac.:D

I certainly wish I still owned that car!

Certainly the comment was made in jest, as I never really raced that car in all the decades I have owned it. I never could use anything I own hard enough to break it or wear it out. I think many of us will agree that the muscle cars of the 60's were some of the most handsome cars to ever grace asphalt.

They won't keep up with the super cars of today, but who can deny the beauty of the design and function of those old cars. Mine is a tri-power car with no power options. It really looks good on the street or show, but I still have to keep cardboard under the engine for oil drips...

PZCMxTe.jpg

Developing a love of fast cars before girls (young) from the era of American Graffiti to the factory muscle cars of the 60/70’s I am to this day still stopped in my tracks at the sight of a well preserved or restored vehicle from those times...the street races of the 50’s and 60’s were way more glamorous and far less dangerous than the rice burners of today weaving through congested roadways. I feel the same about my music but hell I’m old.

As a card carrying Pack Rat in good standing, I still have a lot of "stuff" that I've had for over 50 years.

In the back of my gun safe I still have my first BB gun, a chrome lever action Buzz Barton No. 103; my first .22 rifle, a Remington Model 514 single shot bolt action; my first centerfire rifle, a Herter's Model U-9 bolt action .30-06 that I mail ordered in 1967, and it was my first attempt at finishing and checkering a stock.

Here's that Herter's .30-06 with a mule deer that I shot in the early '70s
13tGbWpl.jpg

Still in the firearms department, I still have my Miroku o/u 12 gauge shotgun that I ordered from the Miroku factory the day that I left Vietnam in 1970, and a Ruger .357 Blackhawk and a Gov't model 1911 .45 acp that I bought when I was stationed at Ft Sill, OK in the fall of 1970.

My first shotshell reloading press, a Honey Bair 12 ga single stage, is still bolted on my reloading bench, and I still use it for my field shotshells.

I couldn't begin to get into them, but I still have many of my Army uniforms hanging in a closet downstairs. Here I am in my dress uniform when I graduated from the Ft Belvoir OCS school in 1969.
1gdSBODl.jpg

Certainly the comment was made in jest, as I never really raced that car in all the decades I have owned it. I never could use anything I own hard enough to break it or wear it out.
I drove the shit out of my Camaro. Took meticulous care of it, but dragged it anytime, anywhere. Days long gone. mtmuley

I had a thing for 69 Dodge Chargers. Barely could afford a rusted old jeep when I was 18 in 1981.
I did alot of hitchhiking as a kid. Got picked up once by a guy driving a Mach 1. He was actually rat racing with another car. I thought I was going to die. Pretty certain he was cranking on Speed.
Stuck with off road vehicles. Too many kids wrapped around Oak trees.

I have a bunch of hot wheels and box full of 8 track tapes that are 50+ years old! The grand kids play with the hot wheels now!

I’m not 50, or even 40 for that matter but my kids play with Tonka trucks that I played with in the sand box after my dad played with them as a kid in the sand box too.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back