What Have You Owned for 50 Years Or More?

David North designed the GTO and believe it or not, used a double barreled shotgun for the inspiration of the stacked headlights on the GTO in similitude of the over/under shotgun. He came to Bozeman for a fund raiser for the University and I had my car on display there. He was a gracious guy to talk to and quite interesting as to his background with GM and making muscle cars.

There were a few posters made for the occasion diagramming the first 2 years of the Genesis of America's first true "Muscle Car". I had David autograph my car, making it something of a unique vintage car with the designer's signature.

He even drove it...

100_0080_zps5dc626f5.jpg100_0067_zpsf0c59515.jpgimage_14.jpgcarshow028_zpsbf2babb8.jpg

Last edited:
Winchester Model 54 .270 (Grandfather's, my father's mine). A 1911 Colt .45 with original leather shoulder holster that was my Uncle's. He was was Captain in the Army with Patton striking across Europe. After Victory in Europe, he was sent to Japan for the occupation. I've taken a couple mule deer with the .270. I've punched some paper and tin cans with the .45.

Not old enough to own anything that long. Do have some old things laying around though. Have a Colt Army Special made in 1916 and various .22s that were my grandfather's along with his Zippo handwarmer that must be 60+.

Well, my children are over 50, does that count ;)

Probably not, since I dont "own" them. They still have several things from yesteryear---a water pump that is now part of a fish pond, an ice cream churner that is a flower holder, some furniture, mule harness and collars. Several firearms but the unusual ones would be the old Fox shotgun, the Lefaucheax double barrel with a folding bayonet, lord and lady colt derringers. A pocket watch that my father carried is still ticking and will probably do so after I am not.

Love you fellows who love old, fast, vintage cars !!!!!!!

far too young for this game

but when i caught my first fish, pretty sure it was a rainbow trout, with my dad when i was 6 or 7 he cut a fin off it and put in one of those old round plastic film canisters. no we didn't return a finless trout back to the lake, we ate it.

i still have that film canister in my safe, i plan to have it for the rest of my life.

Last edited:
far too young for this game

but when i caught my first fish, pretty sure it was a rainbow trout, with my dad when i was 6 or 7 he cut a fin off it and put in one of those old round plastic film canisters. no we didn't return a finless trout back to the lake, we ate it.

i still have that film canister in my safe, i plan to have it for the rest of my life.

When we were first married, my wife borrowed my dad's coat when we went fishing and stuck a fish in the pocket that eventually slid through a hole in the pocket, into the lining of the coat. My dad looked for something that smelled bad for weeks in the closet before he found the fish remains in the coat lining.

If he would have kept it another 49 1/2 years, we would have had it for 50....

Back