Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What elk? a smoke pole decision

Which elk?

• Total voters
I thought he went back home and was playing a game...

Looks like a Hawken on a small cow. Or a big Hawkin on...

A flintlock muzzleloader of some kind.

Is it really a thing?
Been doing it for 15 years prior to the heritage season so ya. When mt made this season I hung the rifle up and quit hunting with it. I ended up rifle hunting this year due to having tags in other states that was gonna make a heritage hunt impossible for me

Been doing it for 15 years prior to the heritage season so ya. When mt made this season I hung the rifle up and quit hunting with it. I ended up rifle hunting this year due to having tags in other states that was gonna make a heritage hunt impossible for me
I was just reflecting on shooting a moose 33 years ago with my .50 cal.
Hunted intermittently with blackpowder ever since.
Never seen anyone hunting with bp before Heritage season or since.
Nice to have a designated season..though I don't think in the scale of things many folks are doing it.

Nice to have a designated season..though I don't think in the scale of things many folks are doing it.
I wish they would split the state pick your weapon and that’s the only way I would hunt in mt. I’d just call for buddies during September and take the 9 days and hunt by myself would be glorious

I also was referring to the traditional aspect^^.
I've harvested 5 deer with in-line in the past 8-9 years but that is a different cat.

I also was referring to the traditional aspect^^.
I've harvested 5 deer with in-line in the past 8-9 years but that is a different cat.
It’s a totally different weapon I’m glad they didn’t make in-line a legal weapon for this season I hope it stays this way also

The weather this year seems to have been great all the other seasons for it have been miserable cold

That is way cool. I’m envious of those who live in states where you can elk hunt every year. Congrats op.

Pic of the cow. This is only the second cow elk I have ever shot. My first elk back in 2000 was a cow. She was also my first with a bow. This is my first game animal with a muzzleloader. Challenging and fun.
Never thought with an elk season starting September 2 it would take a guy like you until December 15th to get one killed, congratulations on the cow with the muzzy!!

Back