what do you require in a varment gun

On prairie dogs, I haul them all. .22mag, .222, .223, 22-250, .243, .25-06. no need in wasting a chance to practice.

For the coyotes, it depends on where I am going that day. If some of the places lend themselves to a little longer shots, I haul the 25 or the 22-250, shorter stuff and long hauls I use the .222.

Somebody
wink.gif
, has talked me into building the 20tact. I think that will fit in quite nicely.

later pup

MTO,

I hope you had a good fathersday. You better let Jess do the shooting if you want to see it blow up...LOL LOL I don't think she will let you shoot her new gun.ROFLMAO
I hope you had the best day.
Shaky,

I have yet to go after chucks with my 20 but I'll put her up to the test on coyotes. I made 3 shots this last year over 400 with the longest at 437 and I had lots of room. The bullet worked very well and never exited. My scope is a Burris 6x24 w/balistic plex and its diled in with a 200 yard zero and the next hash mark is 312, the next is 409 the next is 498 and the last is 543 with the load I'm shooting now. I have a program that computes the distance to +/- 1.3 yards but like you said, I have to know the distance to make it work. Thank God for range finders. I also need a solid rest to make shots like that. I envy those who don't.

Slydog

PS: if you ever get up in this neck of the woods let me know and we will go find a dog.
My treat, my plesure.

Don,
We were after the 5,280 fps mark back then and barrels don't live long in that range. but it shot well a 4550 for a short time, LOL
Have you tried a ladder for a shooting platform, It helps get you away from the ground so your rangefinder will get better readings and it helps see better.

PUP,
you know that I will buy that clunker of a 20 you are building, before you shoot it. If you shoot it first I wouldn't be able to afford it,,,LOL I will send the tool steel as soon as you are ready.

Glad you made it to Moosies

slydog

Dic,

4550??? My goodness, what bullet were you using?

We have never tried a ladder. I do have an 8 foot step ladder, we may just try that for ranging distance. Thanks. I wonder what I do when Dave falls off the ladder. Oh well, I will cross that bridge when I come to it,
biggrin.gif

After last night my total so far this season is 34 chucks.

Don
smile.gif

Don,

My grandfather was Howard J. Johnson of the Barnes/Johnson era (458BJ express) and we were swedging our own bullets. Now 20 years later I'm still hooked to Barnes at the waist as an X-tream team member. I guess its just in the blood.

I use a 6' ladder and have customized it for shooting. It works great in fields and on the flats. I use it for coyote huntin in tall sage brush and it works well. HINT: paint it camo to take away any glair.
Hope that helps.

slydog

Don,
Are you thinking of building any small cal stuff. If so I would love to do some of the testing for you. Anything from 17rem to .308 I have 26 calibers that I load for. BTW I'm writing an article for the new Barnes manual #4 on the 8mm witch was my grandfathers favorite.

I'm real interested in .204 stuff and would love to see something in the 36grn area.

slydog

Dic,

I am in the testing phases of various calibers for various applications. I will be introducing new calibers in the near future, once tests are completed.

I am a bit confused. If you work for Barnes why would you want to use my bullets? Maybe I missed something, somewhere.

My bullets aren't swaged, they are all 100% turned but I assume you already knew that.

Be well,

Don
smile.gif

Don,

I love the 20 and will shoot it as long as I can hold up the gun. I don't work for Barnes, I'm on the Barnes advisory staff, the X-tream team. The only trouble is I can't talk Randy Brooks, the owner, into building the bullet I want for the .204 so I'm shooting what works best. Please don't think I'm a spy,,,LOL I only want a bullet that I can shoot deer, coyote or what ever I need to, without worry about performance.

I like the design of your bullet and also the princable behind it. I would love to test one of your bullets if you ever make one in .204 caliber. The thought of a bullet that will expand and not blow up makes me warm all over... LOL

slydog

for serious p dog shooting I use a .220 swift and a .243 both with 24x scopes
just playing around with them I use .300 win mag..

for coyotes it depends where I am hunting in the state and terrain...
.223 shorty- up to a .300 winmag and everything in between...

pretty much any more my #1 goto gun is my .243 my #2 is my 300 winmag.

I like to see things go splat when I shoot them...
for bullets the only thing I use anymore is the ballistic tips both for hunting and varmits....
Delw

Del,

My little DAGO BUDDY, how have you been? AND, how is my girlfriend, I mean, your wife doing? Tell her I miss her,
smile.gif

Sly,

I can make you a .204 bullet if you like. PM me your specs. I can't wait to test my 22 VR bullets out on woodchucks out of my 22 CHeetah MK 1. I am thinking somewhere in the 4400 FPS range, maybe more.

Don
smile.gif

Shaky, think you could make a 50 grain .204 bullet as well ?

What do you guys think of this setup for a varmint rifle?

Start with a factory Rem 700 ADL Syn in .223. It would be punched out to .223AI and cut and crowned short enough to get rid of the sight screw holes. A McMillan Mtn Rifle stock would follow later and it would be topped of with a Leupold 3X9 with turrets. Once that barrel is shot out I'd rebarrel to Tactical Twenty!

Sounds like a winner to me,the 700 is a popular action to say the least!

punching out the .223 to a .223AI is a good idea for just a little extra poop but it will cause you a lot of extra work for little return, I would just shoot the .223 till it goes away and then build the 20tact.

Thats just my thoughts

sly

Look at it this way Maineiac,ours will be "pre-factory" builds.Sooner or later this caliber will be another offering from the big 5. A gun made prior to the factories churning them out is bound to be worth more,kinda like pre64's.

Guys the 20tact has been around for about 3 1/2 years and to some of us its not new at all.... You late bloombers.

slydog

sorry I had two many letters in one word

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-19-2003 15:16: Message edited by: Slydog ]</font>

Heck,there's plenty of stuff here in the US to kill,and in my state we can hunt any big game with a centerfire.I can legally hunt deer with a 17Rem here,not that I would.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Seldom Ever:
Shaky, think you could make a 50 grain .204 bullet as well ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seldom,

That would be a really LONG bullet. You would need a fast twist to stabalize it.

As far as making a bullet goes. Just about any bullet can be made but I am sure you want it to shoot as well.

Don

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heddenbk
Back