PEAX Equipment

What do you do with your coyotes

If you want to see a pro at work on yotes watch the movie Trapper Jake, on amazon I think.
I watched this a while back. Once you get past the brutal bludgeoning in the opening sequence it's an informative journey into a dying culture.

If you want to see a pro at work on yotes watch the movie Trapper Jake, on amazon I think.
I watched it last night, Jake did a short film with Ray Mears some years ago, I enjoyed him in both, thanks for bringing that film to my attention.
Cheers
Richard

Last edited:
I never learned how to skin them so I sell whole.....for basically nothing lately. Personal beliefs have changed so I rarely shoot Yotes these days
May I ask why? Just curious, I would like to try this hunt but my buddy doesn't like the idea of shooting a canine. My opinion is that it's a game animal, as long as it is done in fair chase and cleanly I dont have an issue with it. Would be curious as to why you once did but now refrain.

I personally have a hard time killing things that I am not going to eat. I don't devote a lot of time to predator hunting because there aren't many culinary delights derived from it. However, I do still believe that procuring fur through hunting is enough of a reason to kill them. Their fur is a renewable resource and makes for some damn warm clothing.

May I ask why? Just curious, I would like to try this hunt but my buddy doesn't like the idea of shooting a canine. My opinion is that it's a game animal, as long as it is done in fair chase and cleanly I dont have an issue with it. Would be curious as to why you once did but now refrain.

I'm not against coyote hunting as it can be quite a fun time especially with close encounters.
I used to believe that removing coyotes was a good thing for the sake of deer, antelope, pheasants, calves but in reality removing a couple coyotes from an area creates a "vacuum" where multiples will replace the ones you shoot. So from a population control standpoint killing one or 2 really only decreases the population very short term but long term may actually increase the population. There are a lot of studies to prove this...I think I posted links on other threads you can search that if you'd like. From a fur standpoint, the prices weren't that great even for good coyotes so I stopped since I was basically killing an animal and not doing something with it. If prices got better I'd probably consider it again. I also believe a lot of animals have their ecological niche and leaving coyotes & foxes alone to chase mice and gophers is a benefit to the system...sounds like a wacko belief I know. Sure they can put a hurting on deer/antelope fawns but that's nature doing its thing.

Now for something to get me outside and active in the winter, I will still go do some calling though rarely do as I've increased other types of winter activities (XC skiing, snowshoeing, ice fishing, etc).

I'm not against coyote hunting as it can be quite a fun time especially with close encounters.
I used to believe that removing coyotes was a good thing for the sake of deer, antelope, pheasants, calves but in reality removing a couple coyotes from an area creates a "vacuum" where multiples will replace the ones you shoot. So from a population control standpoint killing one or 2 really only decreases the population very short term but long term may actually increase the population. There are a lot of studies to prove this...I think I posted links on other threads you can search that if you'd like. From a fur standpoint, the prices weren't that great even for good coyotes so I stopped since I was basically killing an animal and not doing something with it. If prices got better I'd probably consider it again. I also believe a lot of animals have their ecological niche and leaving coyotes & foxes alone to chase mice and gophers is a benefit to the system...sounds like a wacko belief I know. Sure they can put a hurting on deer/antelope fawns but that's nature doing its thing.

Now for something to get me outside and active in the winter, I will still go do some calling though rarely do as I've increased other types of winter activities (XC skiing, snowshoeing, ice fishing, etc).

Thanks for the detailed response! Didn't really think of it that way, but you're right. I'm sure in AZ they feast on the rats and mice, which are a huge nuisance.

I used to believe that removing coyotes was a good thing for the sake of deer, antelope, pheasants, calves but in reality removing a couple coyotes from an area creates a "vacuum" where multiples will replace the ones you shoot.
We say, 'shoot a troublesome fox, 3 come to the funeral and one stays behind'
Cheers
Richard

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back