'Yotes: What to do with carcusses when pelts have little value?

bucdoego

It would seem some people don't know or care. I just saw where some were discussing using them as bear bait, but what if you aren't a bear hunter, etc. What is considered 'ethical'?

Wyoming Hunters Angry Over Pile Of Coyote Carcasses Dumped In Public
Wyoming hunters are reacting with anger over whoever left a pile of dead coyotes along a road to a popular recreation area near Rock Springs. They say it undercuts the importance of ethical predator control.

PS - Never shot a 'yote. The question is asked in earnest, as I don't know the answer.

Last edited:
Dump them but do it out of sight of the public's eye. That would be my suggestion. That or don't even pick them up when you shoot them and leave them right where you shot them. Unfortunate, some idiots were likely getting a "hero shot" and then just drove off after getting their photo op taken care of. I bet you there is a photo out there on IG of these idiots somewhere.

It might be a regional thing, I grew up in the high desert, tended to eat whatever they could find there.

Many people just don’t think past the end of their nose on this kind of thing. I’ve shot and trapped a small pile over the years. The simple answer is dump them out of sight from any road or anyone who cares, on property that you’re supposed to be on. Preferably the same property the coyote was taken from if possible. Natures cleanup crew will take care of it shortly.

Same goes for deer gut piles. I can’t tell you how many times over the years parts of deer carcasses have been strewn all over out in the road in the area I hunt because unscrupulous hunters decided they should gut their kills right in a roadside ditch. It’s infuriating. And I have even had words with people I have caught doing it on a property my family leased. Then they acted like I’m the bad guy for stopping them from dumping deer guts on the edge of the road. 🤦‍♂️

We tend to bury the carcasses. Easy to do on the farm when you got a backhoe.

Since they don’t keep hogs anymore, a bag of lime and a deep hole lasts longer.

Every fall we get arguments on local hunting social media pages about carcasses and gut piles left in ditches and in plain sight.

There's always two clans; normal/level headed people who protest these practices and those lazy MFs who are clearly the ones dumping carcasses and leaving gut piles for the world to see because the "coyotes will get them"...

I don't care if you blast coyotes and dump them hole as long as it's legal, just do it where no one can f'n see it. I swear, its almost like some hunters want to shock people and pretend this behavior is "normal", same kind of dudes chugging beers out of a deer's throat...

If they fall where shot I will toss them in cover if it is around....if the run, they stay where they fall.

On my old farm I used to throw them out in the field in the winter so I could watch the eagles eat them. On other people's property I dump them in the brush or a ravine out of sight.

Even when I used to bowfish all the time, I'd have 100s of dead carp that I'd dump on our private land. I'd bet you couldn't find where I dumped them... Even on family land I put a tiny amount of effort in to "hiding" the piles of dead fish and it was extremely easy to do. Literally throwing them under a bush would make them almost impossible to find.

I always dump carcasses on our property. But still throw them out of sight...

Something like this has to be an intentional move by someone, or they are just the most ignorant and lazy person around. Anyone with a little common sense would take the effort to put them, at a minimum, well off the road, and with a little thought, out of view.

I don’t shoot them unless I’m going to skin them. If they aren’t worth anything, I tan them to make stuff. I throw those carcasses in the dumpster…no big deal.

If people don’t want to skin them, I wish they would just leave them where they fell. Dumping a big pile of them somewhere out on public should be treated as littering IMO.

In the late 80s, I was home from college for the holidays and shot a coyote with the mange. It was below zero and I threw it in the back of my truck. Later than night I was driving around with my cousin and we pulled into an ally behind somebody's house where he had a speedboat, covered for the winter. I lifted the cover and stuffed the coyote underneath. :)

The boat owner was that kind of guy and to this day it makes me smile.

Back