PEAX Equipment

What do you do with your coyotes

Mainer207

So, I’ve never been a predator hunter, but as I get more into hunting I want to give it a go.

I’m curious what you guys do with your coyotes...Do you leave them lay, skins for the walls, or have you made garments out of the furs?

My girlfriend handled a coyote fur at the local bow shop and now she wants a hat...I’m wondering if I can skin and tan myself before taking it to someone to make the hat or is the whole process better off in someone else’s hands?

cheers!

Hang them in the shed and sell them whole. I don’t shoot any til December though.

I sell them whole in the winter. Too nasty to bother with skinning. I don’t get enough coyotes to make it worth it anyhow.

I do pretty decent selling them whole, I’ve put them up before but it hasn’t been worth it to me at least.

Skin , stretch and dry also. Our earlier coyotes bring good money, late Oct into November for the best price. Good guard hairs, good price.

I built a skimming machine and a tumbler. Now if I could find someone to do my fleshing I’d have it made.

I mostly hunt coyotes and do everything from the skinning - tan all myself. Once you get proficient with it, it is super easy and saves a lot of money vs having them done by a taxidermist/ tannery. I use them as wall hangers, gifts, or sell them. You can make a skinning rack fairly cheap, save yourself a lot of time and get a small cheap pressure washer for fleshing, make a stretcher vs buying one already made, and buy the tanning supplies online. Or you could just put them on the stretcher and let them dry and leave them that way. I never leave coyotes out in the field unless they have mange, then I bury them.

I like to have mine tanned and hang in the man cave with my other hides including bobcat, beaver, badger, fox. I think they look nice.
Yes coyotes do stink but once you get through the process that come back smelling good from the tannery.
I just show one from my deer stand with my bow earlier this week. It is already skinned and salted.

Skinning has a a fun skill to learn. Once you get your knives sharp and learn the method it is effortless. Gotta want a new hobbie though

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back