PEAX Equipment

What do you consider "In Shape"?

What do you consider "In Shape" for elk season?

• I run marathons to stay in shape. Maybe even a 50 miler.

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • I run 1/2 marathons to stay in shape. I shoot for 13 miles in under 2 hours.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I feel that being able to run 6 miles in an hour or less is in shape.

Votes: 56 19.4%
  • I spend the entire summer hiking and scouting to get in shape. Lots of elevation gains worked in.

Votes: 103 35.8%
  • I don't "work out", but am very active at work. I spend a lot of time outdoors all year long.

Votes: 65 22.6%
  • I feel that being able to jog a couple miles or so means that I'm in shape.

Votes: 29 10.1%
  • In shape, what's that? I'm a couch potato and don't understand why anyone would work out.

Votes: 12 4.2%

• Total voters
Funny story....

I always thought I was prepared for anything when it came to hunting. I could run miles, hiked constantly, totally physically fit. I even carry a very heavy pack, and always left my hunting partners in the dust, so to speak, and was always very proud of the fact. Couple years back I was hunting with some friends, and throughout the week I noticed that I was becoming fatigued. My pack seemed heavier than usual, my legs burned, I was sucking some air doing what I normally do with ease.

Little did I know the lickbags I was hunting with were gradually filling the bottom of my pack with rocks every day. After about 3 days I decided maybe I was just not what I once was...so I decided to lighten my pack to help out a little because I just couldn't physically hack it anymore. That's when I found their little surprise...:mad:

Ever since then I've realized that was probably the best way to simulate physical conditioning for a hunt... to do exactly what you would do in a hunt situation. Now I load my pack as heavy as I can and hike up and down until I burn my self out....:W:

I feel as if I'm "In-Shape" if I can make it through Greenhorn's photo bucket account without ending up out of breath... it's really tough to do, but with practice, patience, and commitment... someday I'll be there!

Im always in decent shape for the steep stuff but my weight fluctuates 5-10 lbs during the year and right now im in fat pants. im starting training for a triathlon, it helps to have a goal out there to keep me motivated.

i just posted this so i somebody will send me the password to greenhorn's photobucket account. Seacat?

Funny story....

Little did I know the lickbags I was hunting with were gradually filling the bottom of my pack with rocks every day. After about 3 days I decided maybe I was just not what I once was...so I decided to lighten my pack to help out a little because I just couldn't physically hack it anymore. That's when I found their little surprise...:mad:

Ever since then I've realized that was probably the best way to simulate physical conditioning for a hunt... to do exactly what you would do in a hunt situation. Now I load my pack as heavy as I can and hike up and down until I burn my self out....:W:

Had a friend who seemed sheepish about letting me glance into his pack as we scouted, had lunch, etc. So I stick my nose in there and find a bunch of rocks and way more water than a guy could use in a day of scouting. His pack had to be 60 pounds. Was impressed but have not emulated...

Having only hills to hike in Northwest Alabama, I've found crossfit year round, throwing in some 4 to 7 mile runs, then changing over to hiking with a weighted pack a couple months before my hunt has worked well for me. Training can be addictive too, even more so at 46years old and trying thinking more about health and longevity now.

"In Shape" is relative to age. I'll be 68 when I hit the hills this Fall. I'm very active and hit the elliptical for an hour several times a week. Knees and hips are issues. I just go slower and enjoy it more.

Being in shape for us is being able to hunt 15 straight days of archery elk covering 6-15 miles everyday plus packing elk out on backs as the need arises in that time frame. Anything less & we are not pulling our weight!
+1, we average about 10 miles day with large elevation gains during archery season. I brought a buddy one time and warned him to get in shape beforehand. He didn't. He couldn't/wouldn't help pack any meat and he had now fun. Spent more time at camp. Getting in shape is essential to hunt the backcountry, especially if you aren't using mules.

Nothing like getting paid to stay in shape. Being a timber cutter for 30 years has allowed me to breeze through 3 sheep hunts along with many other hunts.

Knees can't take the pounding that jogging/running requires so I hike varied terrain as much as possible and do the P90X thing to work on core strength and improve cardio.

And eating as healthy as possible definitely helps but I don't always practice what I preach but I try!

It gets tougher to stay in good hunting condition as I get older. Definitely have to work on it WAY more then I did when I was in my 20's and 30's. This getting old stuff is a beeeeoootttccchhhhh!

Put in 1/2 marathon yesterday. Maybe I am not in top shape yet.....little sore this morning.:D

I put in a 'half' .........as in a 1/2 hour run yesterday. >Sprinted the last 4 tenths of a mile, a little grade....tried to wreck myself, only a a little sore this morning. (A fellow hunt talker and I started working in getting in shape together.) Cool stuff. Getting in shape. ........ Pre season scouting. Counting down to bow season baby!

Got in a nice jog Saturday morning. Still a little slow and need to up the mileage a little, but for the first of June I feel like I'm doing pretty good. Still up in the air on what tags I'll have, unless New Mexico comes through for me I won't need to be in great shape, but I plan on continuing to get in some miles even if I don't draw anything else.

The runkeeper program for my iphone really is neat. Here's a screen shot from the computer of Saturday's jog.
runkeeper2.sized.jpg

They changed something so it isn't showing the pace and elevation changes anymore, but that was really cool. Here's a shot of a hike I did in Vegas in April that shows the elevation and pace. I hope I can figure out how to add that back.
rrc_runkeeper.jpg

Here's what it looks like on the phone.
rrc_runkeeper.png

I'll be in Montana in a couple weeks so I'll hopefully get some real hikes in and see what kind of shape I'm really in. Pine Creek Lake south of Livingston is always one that will let you know in a hurry what kind of shape you are in, I wonder if the trail will even be open all the way to the lake though with all the snow.

I'm suprised this poll ended up being so popular, most lay people would never even think about needing to be "in shape" to go hunting.

We did 7 miles w/ about 1K in elevation gain yesterday. Combining the hiking w/ the P90X seems to be paying off for this lard butt. We averaged 2.5 miles per hour. Got up this morning and felt like I could do it again no problem. Instead, we did chest and arms from P90X. Will hit the abs tonight and then take the dog for a short 2.8 miler w/ 1500 feet elevation gain in the first mile.

On top of the exercise, I've been using myfitnesspal.com to keep track of calories and nutrition. Seems to be working well.

Keep hitting it, said the fat man. :)

The big elevation gains are something that I can't really mimic here in the flat lands of Texas. I have a spot where I can get 200' elevation gain in about 1/2 mile, but that's about it. 1,500' of gain in a mile is a burner!

I was using myfitnesspal.com for a while as well and it really helped me to see what was good and bad for you. I used to think pizza was okay for you, but it is shocking to see the calorie counts on pizza! I'm not logging calories daily anymore, but I probably should. Working out is easier to do for me than losing weight. I would be alot better off if I could shed 20 pounds.

I have a large goal: Drop 100 pounds by the time I'm 40. I've got less than 1 year to do it.

So, it takes me a long time to get that far, but I'm still getting on top of ridges w/ a pack that weighs about 30 pounds. The weights and strength training along with the hiking are starting to show their effects. I've got the strength, but the fat is keeping me from really hammering it like I want to. To get where I want to be, I've got to monitor everything. MFP is pretty easy to use, and it keeps me honest on what I eat and what I do for exercise.

Good luck on that Ben, but be very careful trying to drop that much weight in what really is an awful short time period for 100# drop!!!

Well I got 6.5 miles in this morning, but not at a 10 minute pace yet. I think that is the farthest I've ever jogged in my life. Ended up with an 11:18 pace, was shooting for 11:00 and I added 2 miles more than my last long run of 4.5 miles so overall I'm pretty happy with my progress. Been researching out the tag I drew in New Mexico some more and I'm going to need to be in pretty good shape to hunt it effectively.

Training for an August 26k trail run (16 miles) with 2500 ft of elevation gain.

Salt_Point_26_Km_Elevation.JPG

Today I ran an 8.79 mile portion of the race trails with 1379 feet of elevation gain in 1:43:00

In 2009 I ran this route and felt like crap...
Sunday, 2009/06/21 on: trails
Where: Salt Point State park With: Fleet Feet Trail Group This run kicked my butt. Perhaps it was the 4 beers the night before, Perhaps it was the 7 miles on Friday, Perhaps it was sleeping on the ground the night before. Perhaps I'm turning into a big wimp. Either way, I have reconsidered my race on July 26. I think I will do the Short Race. One loop is all I can handle. [ Map/URL link] --- [Delete this ]

Then I Ran the full 26k race 30 days later, and did much better and It had me pumped for my Nevada deer hunt 2 weeks later.

I'm hoping I can beat my time from 2 years ago this year. Same course, we will see if it is similar weather. Hoping for some "Pace bootie " to pull me along like last year...

5250_1202095373448_1260492116_573458_377755_n.jpg

Last edited:
I'm getting old and my hips are starting to bother me. 59 and 5/6 years. I used to walk all over the place, but now my muscles are tight and my hips hurt. I'm going to ride my bicycle more, because of the lower impact. I'm hoping that riding will reduce the pain walking. It does seem to help, but I have only just started. With the poor fiscal state of the state, there is too much loose rock on the roads around here. No money for oil and chips.

Got in 7.02 miles this morning. Only an 11:47 pace, but that includes walking up a hill that was 300' of elevation gain. Getting in 6 miles at a 10:00 pace is going to be harder than I thought. I ran 2 miles this week at a 9:36 pace and that was really pushing it for me. 2 months to go before my first elk hunt so I still have time if I will keep at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BullelkSD
Back