Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What do I need for mule deer in really tall sage?

fmnjr

Mainly, I'm trying to figure out if using my trek poles to rest my gun on will really work or am I asking for trouble and disappointment? If I don't use the poles what rest(s) should I look at? I know, there are lots of threads already on the topic of shooting sticks but, that's the problem, there are too many to wade through. Combined with the tall sage, there are tons of junipers. If I end of hunting the flats I want to be 100% prepared. For example, we were scouting last weekend and jumped a small forky with a couple does. He was 94 yards and looking straight at me between 2 tall bushes. An offhand shot might have done it but I want to have something tall enough and rock solid to work from.

If I’m on a fairly flat sage hike/hunt I’ll take my Primos tripod for that very reason and to use under my binos for glassing. I made a loop for them to attach to my pack if/when successful.

My experience has always been that when you are in that tall stuff you are usually right on top of them. They see you, you see them. Typically, this doesn't allow enough time to set up a tripod to shoot from. I would give some time to practicing offhand out to a 100 yards. That is well within range of an ethical offhand shot.

I have shot off a stick. I had an attachment that was a y-shape and it stayed on the stick during hunting season. One stick can be tough to hold steady, especially on rocky stuff. The stick can be too short to set up for a natural shooting stance so you should practice. A Trigger Stick is a bit heavier to carry but extends fast.

I’m short, so it doesn’t take much for sagebrush to be “very tall”. 😁 My trekking poles would still not be tall enough in a lot of cases. I am a good offhand shooter so if it’s somewhere in the 100 yard neighborhood I don’t even think twice. Otherwise I have some Trigger Sticks that I really like. Can go from sitting/kneeling to standing or vice versa very smoothly and with nearly zero readjustment. That’s important because once you stand, you’re going to have to be quick on the trigger and not be fumbling around with the sticks or whatever you’re using.

I’m short, so it doesn’t take much for sagebrush to be “very tall”. 😁 My trekking poles would still not be tall enough in a lot of cases. I am a good offhand shooter so if it’s somewhere in the 100 yard neighborhood I don’t even think twice. Otherwise I have some Trigger Sticks that I really like. Can go from sitting/kneeling to standing or vice versa very smoothly and with nearly zero readjustment. That’s important because once you stand, you’re going to have to be quick on the trigger and not be fumbling around with the sticks or whatever you’re using.

Being short, at least you don't expend much energy getting up/down. Advantage short people! I'm checking the trigger sticks.....thanks.

Off hand proficiency to about 150 goes a long way, a skill I could always get better at. Beyond that approximate distance it’s no contest for me, if you want both tall and solid a tripod is the only realistic option.
I’m ok off hand but could always use more practice.

They are pricey but dual purpose. Stealthpod x trekking poles/shooting sticks. Best shooting sticks I have used, middle of the road trekking poles.

They look like they'd work great, they are spendy.
They hurt the bank for sure. But for a a universally adjustable set of stick that can deploy extremely fast they are amazing. In non-extreme country I hike with them already together as a single trekking pole which allows for almost instant deployment. In the real rough country I pull them apart.

I don't use sticks at less than 300 yards. I shoot freehand. I use sticks or tripods at anything more than that, or shoot prone or off my pack but in tall sage I would only take 300 or less shots and shoot freehand.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back