Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What do I need for mule deer in really tall sage?

I don't use sticks at less than 300 yards. I shoot freehand. I use sticks or tripods at anything more than that, or shoot prone or off my pack but in tall sage I would only take 300 or less shots and shoot freehand.
Free hand at 300 yards?!?! 🤔 What kind of groups do you shoot like that. I couldn’t imagine taking a 300 yard freehand shot.

Free hand at 300 yards?!?! 🤔 What kind of groups do you shoot like that. I couldn’t imagine taking a 300 yard freehand shot.
Learn to use a sling to steady your shot, not that hard. This is what I am talking about: https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2016/9/6/how-to-properly-use-a-sling/

Do I shoot 300 yards routinely? Hell no not if I don't have to. I would drop to prone or kneeling but there are times where you either don't have time or other issues stopping you from dropping to kneeling or prone. I would take a 300 yard shot if I think I can get a clean kill shot out of it. In sage, I shoot freehand yes. You kind of have too. Or I use one of my shooting sticks and the sling to assist. Sometimes 200-300 yard shots are what you are presented with and you either have to take them or go home empty. I have enough confidence in my shooting that under right light and right conditions, I might. If I had any cross wind at all I would not attempt it at all, wind drift would be severe. I would take a headwind or no wind shot only. If head wind is greater than 10 mph, your drop will be more than 6 inches, so again, under right conditions I would. Conditions have to be perfect and I have taken deer at 200-300 yard ranges shooting freehand with my sling kind of what the link shows.

Last edited:
If I have to shoot standing with a handgun at distance I use my tripod with a small field bag on top or just my trekking poles.

actual shooting sticks are faster to set up if you don’t need the trekking poles.

you should always seek a supported shot if you can.

Sometimes the obvious is some past experience overlooked:
Looks like you beat me to it LOL. This is my preferred method over messing with tripods and shooting sticks but I don't take even shots with my sling unless conditions are perfect. In a crosswind you are screwed even using a tripod unless you are really good with Kentucky windage which I am not.

I've got a couple of these 2 point slings: http://seartactical.com/sti-sling/

Started playing around with them and found out it is very easy to set up as a loop sling.

We're hitting the range tomorrow and will see how it works out there.
You also want to read in to how to position your arms too. If your elbows are extended the way most people shoot freehand without that support of the arm against the body there is no assist, and your shot will be near as good. In the sling assisted freehand shooting, your support arm is pulled into your body to steady it. With practice it's almost as steady as using a tripod and enables a quicker shot when you need it. Experimenting with the sling by itself will not work if you do not do that. I don't like to carry tripods or bipods when I am hunting. It's just a few more pounds of weight to carry that I don't have to.

I get a rest pretty much always... I've never taken my first shot on anything without a rest. To each their own, I'm just not that proficient a shooter.

I've had really good luck with trekking poles and a gear tie from home depot.
1600454688149.png

I get a rest pretty much always... I've never taken my first shot on anything without a rest. To each their own, I'm just not that proficient a shooter.

I've had really good luck with trekking poles and a gear tie from home depot.
View attachment 154347
Good call, I have a bunch of those around and like having nice poles on the rough country!

Got a trigger stick and the gear ties, of course. Trigger stick is great and we used gear ties to hang a deer, so that worked out well.

I don't use sticks at less than 300 yards. I shoot freehand. I use sticks or tripods at anything more than that, or shoot prone or off my pack but in tall sage I would only take 300 or less shots and shoot freehand.
yeah, but you shoot in competition. The 'rest' of us mere mortals need help well inside 300...

yeah, but you shoot in competition. The 'rest' of us mere mortals need help well inside 300...

My gramps was one of those guyw that could throw up his rifle and hit whatever he wanted at 300 yards. He never understood why the rest of us couldn’t do the same. 100-150 is about as far as I can consistently hit freehanded.

As far as a shooting stick goes I have always just found a stout relatively straight stick that is about head high and used that. Just plant it in the ground with your off hand and rest the rifle on your wrist Works like a charm for me.

Of course we have actual trees here to provide said stick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back