What dies do you use?

elmo

Lets have a die Poll. What brand? Neck sizing or full length sizing all the time? Any one bought high dollar (Forster.etc..)micro-adjustable dies. Did you notice a difference. Are they worth the extra $. How much time to change Calibers on your set up?My buddy and I use RCBS standard full length so far.Highly biased opinions gladly accepted
biggrin.gif

elmo, My favorites are a tossup between Lyman and RCBS. I use only full length resizing dies. There is one set of OLD Liberty dies in my small collection, they work fine, but have to reset them everytime I use them.
smile.gif
WD

I started out with RCBS dies, now I buy exclusively Redding.

I still use the RCBS ones I have, and they work fine, but the fit and finish on the Redding ones is simply better, and I prefer the way the decapping rod/expander ball is set up on the Reddings.

I use the plain old full length resizing dies, but don't full length resize, unless I have once fired brass from some other rifle.

My wife gave me five RCBS dies for Christmas, in 1974, with the press and a Speer reloading book. I never used them for a of couple years.(Kids in school, work, work!) I got though all that and built a new house with one room just for reloading and guns. The five RCBS have turned into forty three and the room is much to small for all my junk!
Be safe, have fun!
deadeye2

I have only used the RCBS standard full length dies... I think it is more of a pain in the arss to change callibers on my RCBS case trimmer than the dies...

What brand of dies indeed? My reloading bench look like a 1970's disaster movie. I have one rack with four shleves full on dies. Among the better known brands are RCBS, REDDING, Dillon, K&T, Pacific, J&B, Hornady, RCBS Custom, and various and sundry others. For a while, I collected dies with funny names. I have some Arcadia Tool and Die, (which became Arcadia Machine and Tool or AMT) Dunlevy, Durham, L&M, and Chromo (from UK).
Today, if I can possibly do it, I buy Redding dies almost exclusively. I still find myself calling the RCBS custom shop about twice a year though.

Let's see? Where did I put those primers?????
cool.gif

------------------
Dan AZ www.huntandlodge.com

I bought a RCBS Rock Chucker kist over a year ago. Have 2 sets of dies RCBS. Been reloading Rifle for a few mounths, and they seem to work good for me.

John

------------------
"When a man lies he murders some part of the world"

Cliff Burton

I have 1 set of RCBS dies and 1 set of Hornady dies both are full length.

------------------
Good Huntin-Kraven

I have an assortment of full-length dies...mostly RCBS, some Redding, a couple of Lyman. I use Lee neck-sizing dies most of the time, though, for my own rifles. I run the case through the collet die, turn it 180 degrees, and run it through again. In magnum pistol dies, I prefer the Lee carbide with the factory crimp die for use with H-110 or W-296. The main reason is that the Lee factory crimp die also re-sizes the case if it has bulged a little from bullet seating, for example.
Like our tastes in cars and women...your opinion may vary!
biggrin.gif

Elmo,

Whenever I can I use Wilson dies. All ya need is a plastic hammer and a small arbor press. I can reload at the range if needed for the purpose of developing a load. I bought a Rock Chuker more years ago then I care to remember and used to use RCBS dies. I did have to purchase a Redding die last year to full length resize my cases for my 22 CHeetah MK 1 only because I used 243 brass instead of 308BR brass. The outside contour of 243 brass is NOT the same as the outside contour of 308BR brass so I needed to full length resize the 243 brass.

I got turned onto Wilson dies from a fellow bench rest shooter.

Don
smile.gif

Hello, Don. Welcome aboard. This isn't the busiest site around, but it's quite civil, and the people here just like to talk hunting, shooting, and swap stories. The reloading and gun oriented posters seem to be especially well-behaved.

Bench rester, eh? We need some more good technical expertise around here. Hope you keep stopping by.

-Brett

Hey Shakey, Welcome to Moosies! Can those Wilson dies be used in a standard (Rockchucker) press? Or is it all hand work? Give us an idea of how long it takes to load a 100 br cartidges. What's your best 5 shot group? What was your best group before Wilson dies?

Hi Guys and thanks for the welcome. I best clear some things up before I proceed. I have buddies that bench rest shoot and I have done some bench rest shooting but I did it for the fun of it not the competition. My best group? I don't recall exactly but it was somewhere around .200" at 100 yards. I do have and use a bench rest "style" rifle for woodchuck hunting and shoot 1/4" groups at 100 yards using that rifle. I have a handicap which doesn't allow me to be competitive so I shoot more for fun then any other reason. (on paper)

Wilson dies look (in appearance) completely different then lets say a RCBS or Redding die. This will sound sort of silly to most that never used them but basically all you need is a little plastic hammer and a small arbor press to load/re-load using wilson dies. No, they won't fit in any press such as a rock chucker.

How long to re-load 100 rounds? Lets see, if you de-primed and neck sized (one die using the plastic hammer), clean the primer pocket,
press new primers in the primer pocket, throw the powder, seat the bullet (the purpose for the small arbor press)I would say this shouldn't take more then an hour. Some guys at the range can do this much faster then I can because they don't shake like I do.

As soon as I remember how (again) I will list a picture of my woodchuck rifle.

Don
smile.gif

Hi again,

I did a test of inserting the picture before entering it here. This is my woodchuck rifle. I will do my best to describe it:

Stolle Panda Action - aluminum -- bench rest action - lest side port - right side bolt
McMillan "Hunter Class" graphite stock (oh the color? My daughter likes purple so I said, why not.)
Hart S/S barrel - Heavy Varmint Taper - finished at 27 1/2" long
Jewel Trigger with safety set at 1lb
Kelby Rings - 30mm
Swarovski 6 to 24 X 50 Scope with dot reticle

The Action is bedded and glued to the stock - This is very typical of bench rest rifles.

Gunsmith work done by Dan Dowling.

Ok now you can make fun of the stock, lol.

View

Don
smile.gif

Don, I like the paint job, One would have to look close to tell if it is real wood or synthetic.

Any website available for the Wilson dies you mentioned?-----Chainsaw

Calif Hunter,

Your right, there is no way I am going to carry this rifle to far, at 13lbs (including the scope). The stock is flat on the bottom (fore-end) and designed to sit on a front bag. We set-up on a portable bench and try to get as far away from the woodchucks as possible. We like the 600 plus yard kills.

Ok now I can't remember the other post below yours (tis he** to get old, lol). In any case the stock is not painted at all. The "purple" and "white" marble pattern is the color of the resin. No paint at all. The way you see it is the way the stock comes out of the mold with the exception that I waxed it and polished it, just as one would a fiberglass boat.

I am not sure if "Wilson" has a web site or not, I will look into that and get back to you. If you have or know somebody that has a copy of "Precision Shooting" magazine, there are ad's in that mag for "Wilson" dies from various sources.

Good hunting all, be safe, Don
smile.gif

Brett,

Thanks for the welcome. As to any expertise on my part, mostly I fumble into things but if I can add anything that is helpfull to others, thats what it is all about.
smile.gif

So, your in SD huh? Your a lucky dog. I have hunted in SD for pheasants. To bad I don't have any skills that are needed in SD, the pheasants there are fantastic. Good hunting, be safe, Don
smile.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back