Yeti GOBOX Collection

Some Questions Before I Start Reloading

Hey guys. Things have been going good. I got all my gear, loaded up my first set of rounds and did my first batch of testing. I don't have a chrono so did a .5 grain ladder test of three shot groups round robin style. Maybe excessive but for my first time I'd rather spend the money to be more sure. I believe I've picked my powder charge. Next is seating depth. Nosler says .050-.100 of the lands for Etips. I did initial testing at .050 and now going to work back to .100 with 3 shot groups. What increments should I do this in though? And should I shoot all three at one depth or shoot one of each depth first?
I adjust in increments of 0.010". I would shoot three at same seating depth let the barrel cool and then shoot the next three - rinse and repeat.

One thing I recommend you do is get meticulous in your routine in reloading and don't do what I did. Develop a routine so you do not miss a step and measure carefully. I had a number of cartridges on the light side for powder and ended up having to use a cleaning rod to push the bullet back out of the barrel. These type errors can be dangerous if you accidentally load too hot. Make sure you weigh each and every bullet when done. They all should be consistent. Pull any on the light side apart and see what you missed.

Imperial sizing wax is the way to go. I avoid ANYTHING that you have to spray.

Grizzly.com has a nice Bald Eagle digital scale on clearance for $48. I'd get one myself if I didn't already have 2.

Unless you are using a ball powder I wouldn't waste the money for a powder measure and/or trickler for hunting loads unless you're doing hundreds at a time. Just as fast to pour it out into a plastic cup or dish and weigh it out with a small plastic spoon. Spend the money on an expander die kit like the one from Sinclair/Brownells.

Shop around for your dies. I was looking for Redding 6.5-06 A Square dies. I found them at place A for $125 + tax plus free shipping. Got the last set from place B for $79 + tax + shipping. Big savings.

I don't care for the Lee lock rings on their cheap die sets. I like the Hornady with the wrench flats myself.

Since you are loading for the .300 Win mag I would pretend that the belt isn't there.

Is this a new rifle or one with a lot of rounds through it? If well used the original lands in the throat area aren't going to be there anymore.

Also wise not to go with a kit since it's likely to contain things that you don't want or need.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back