Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Is there a good scope you like for your shotgun with a cantilever slug barrel?

TomTeriffic

The scope should be of good quality and hold up to shotgun recoil. It should have the proper eye relief as well. What scope model/brands do you like for deer hunting with a slug gun in the woods? As a matter of fact I own a two-year-old unused Leupold rifle scope already. I bought it for a Ruger American Predator which I sold. It has an excess of 4" of eye relief on low and 3.7" eye relief on high. Being a Leupold, is it tough enough for 12-ga. slug gun recoil?

Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7x33mm Riflescope​

1642017441165.png

• Leupold Model #174178 - VX-Freedom 2-7x33mm with Duplex reticle and Matte finish
  • 100% Waterproof, fog proof, & shockproof
  • Made with 6061-T6 aircraft quality aluminum and punisher tested to a lifetime of performance even under harshest recoil
  • Twilight Light Management System - Adds up to 10 extra minutes of shooting light and reduces glare for crisp image quality
  • Precision 1/4 MOA finger click adjustments for wind age and elevation offer absolute repeatability and dependability over a lifetime of extreme use
  • Scratch Resistant Lenses - Lens surfaces are scratch resistant to military standard extreme abrasion specification
  • 3: 1 Zoom Ratio - Ideal for virtually any situation
  • Designed, machined, and assembled in the USA
Magnification Range: 2x-7x
Weight: 11.1 oz.
Length: 11.04 in.
Maintube Diameter: 1 inch
Eye Relief (in) - Low: 4.17
Eye Relief (in) - High: 3.7
Linear FOV (ft/100 yd) - Low: 43.8
Linear FOV (ft/100 yd) - High: 17.8

BrandLeupold
ColorDuplex (174178)
Item Dimensions LxWxH14 x 3 x 2.75 inches
Sport TypeHunting
Item Weight11.1 Ounces
MaterialAluminum
Objective Lens Diameter33 Millimeters
Compatible DevicesRifle
Night visionNo

Last edited:
But I do have one more question: may I safely use the very Leupold scope model I already own on my Mossberg 500 shotgun?

I’d sure as hell drill & tap that 500 (seems like most already are), add a rail, & mount it in some quick release rings. Why deal with that cantilever if you have a better option

I’d sure as hell drill & tap that 500 (seems like most already are), add a rail, & mount it in some quick release rings. Why deal with that cantilever if you have a better option
The barrel to receiver fit is not precise on pump shotguns. It's certainly not tight as on a barreled action for bolt rifles. For consistency and accuracy, we need the scope attachment rigid with respect to the barrel. We need the scope to consistently point with respect to where the barrel points so zero is retained. Hence the cantilever mounting system was invented. I would need a special slug barrel for deer anyway.

I get better groups blindfolded shooting my rifle than with my 500. I’ve tried the cantilever barrel and the mounts on the receiver and the results are horrendous. Sell it and get a Savage 220 if you want to shoot slugs.
I checked out the Savage 220 slug gun. About $700 and she's a 20 gauge. How is the recoil as compared with a typical .308 bolt action rifle? I think now a serious slug gun is a must have in shotgun-only deer states and in states where rifles are banned on most public access hunting lands for big game. Would my Leupold RIFLE scope be safe perched on top of that Savage 20 gauge slugster?

That Savage 220 has a 24" rifled barrel so technically that gun is a bolt-action rifle that's legal for deer where shotgun slugs are required.
What is the true outer limits of that gun in yardage for ethical shots at deer anyway? 100 yards? 150? 200? If I had to toss buckshot at deer, I probably would just use my Mossy 12 ga. with field barrel.

I've been just reading that pump shotguns make rotten platforms for slugging for deer. Punishing recoil in a 12 gauge. I still need my Mossy 500 for birds with its field barrel anyway. I would also get a defender barrel for that gun and use it as my home defense shotgun also. I plan to sell my Remington 870 express police pump, now doing home defense duties, once my lately-acquired Mossy 500 is inspected by my local smith, test fired and proven. I may also need a Limbsaver job done on that Mossy.

I used a Leupold rifleman shotgun scope on my cantilevered sluggun barrel for years. It worked very good. I used my shotgun for everything from hogs,turkeys , ducks, dove , quail in Florida and deer in Ohio. So having the scope on the barrel worked for me as I was switching between three different setups during the seasons And sometimes during the day.

I checked out the Savage 220 slug gun. About $700 and she's a 20 gauge. How is the recoil as compared with a typical .308 bolt action rifle? I think now a serious slug gun is a must have in shotgun-only deer states and in states where rifles are banned on most public access hunting lands for big game. Would my Leupold RIFLE scope be safe perched on top of that Savage 20 gauge slugster?

That Savage 220 has a 24" rifled barrel so technically that gun is a bolt-action rifle that's legal for deer where shotgun slugs are required.
What is the true outer limits of that gun in yardage for ethical shots at deer anyway? 100 yards? 150? 200? If I had to toss buckshot at deer, I probably would just use my Mossy 12 ga. with field barrel.

I've been just reading that pump shotguns make rotten platforms for slugging for deer. Punishing recoil in a 12 gauge. I still need my Mossy 500 for birds with its field barrel anyway. I would also get a defender barrel for that gun and use it as my home defense shotgun also. I plan to sell my Remington 870 express police pump, now doing home defense duties, once my lately-acquired Mossy 500 is inspected by my local smith, test fired and proven. I may also need a Limbsaver job done on that Mossy.
Here is my first question......where are you planning on hunting that is shotgun only? Most times there are avenues allowed through the regulations that make alternative weapons a better option. IL is a prime example of that and I have the answer for that one ;)

As for the questions about the scope and recoil.....1) Yes the scope will work and 2) recoil is stout on a non-gas, slug shooting shotgun (12 even more so ) and different than rifle recoil.....more of a big thud instead of a sharp crack.

Here is my first question......where are you planning on hunting that is shotgun only? Most times there are avenues allowed through the regulations that make alternative weapons a better option. IL is a prime example of that and I have the answer for that one ;)

As for the questions about the scope and recoil.....1) Yes the scope will work and 2) recoil is stout on a non-gas, slug shooting shotgun (12 even more so ) and different than rifle recoil.....more of a big thud instead of a sharp crack.
Southern Oklahoma, WMA and OLAP lands primarily .... most deer lands don't allow rifles during gun seasons but they do allow shotgun slugs ... if I were to get a Savage 220, I forgo getting a traditional deer rifle, in say .308, altogether.

I don't think this 220 in 20 ga. kicks any harder than a .308 bolt gun or does it?

The Savage 220 has a rifled barrel but is chambered for 20 gauge shells. Is it a RIFLE or is it a SHOTGUN? They used to ask questions like this about Chevy El Camino and Ford Ranchero, is it a CAR or is it a TRUCK?

I've got a 220 I use for hunting in IL. It's probably the most accurate off the shelf shotgun available. Best ammo I've found for mine are the 3" Remington Accutips, however they are nowhere to be found now and I'm down to about 13 rounds, so next season may be the last time I use them, then I'll have to experiment and see what else shoots good. Some are having good success with the Hornady ammo.

I've shot mine at paper every 50 yards out to 200 so know where it hits, and wouldn't have any issue taking shots out to 150. Pretty significant bullet drop from 150-200 yds, so conditions would need to be optimum.

Those slug loads kick pretty good, probably because of the lightweight cheap plastic Savage stock, but no worse than most centerfire big game rifles.

If you can find them, look at the VX-Freedom Leupold Ultimateslam 3-4x40 #174184 . I have an older model #115368 with the firedot. I have it mounted on my Savage 220. Slugs only here in Illinois.

blacksheep

Southern Oklahoma, WMA and OLAP lands primarily .... most deer lands don't allow rifles during gun seasons but they do allow shotgun slugs ... if I were to get a Savage 220, I forgo getting a traditional deer rifle, in say .308, altogether.

I don't think this 220 in 20 ga. kicks any harder than a .308 bolt gun or does it?

The Savage 220 has a rifled barrel but is chambered for 20 gauge shells. Is it a RIFLE or is it a SHOTGUN? They used to ask questions like this about Chevy El Camino and Ford Ranchero, is it a CAR or is it a TRUCK?
Do they allow straight wall rifle cartridges during the season? I’ve seen some places went from slug only to allowing straight wall cartridges in the past if they do I’d look at some of them over a slug gun.

A 220 is definitely still a shotgun, although probably the most accurate slug gun. Range and accuracy are not in line with any decent rifle. Depending on the slug you shoot in 20 it will be a few pounds less to a couple pounds MORE recoil energy than a 308.

I see the OLAP lands are strictly shotgun, so that is that. But, if you get to a spot where you can use a handgun there are some really interesting options.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back