What did you learn elk hunting this year?

Well, like I said you can do what you want.

I nearly froze to death dragged down by a friend that seems very similar to your "old cowboy."

Trust me, I'm not saying that everyone needs $1000 in Sitka gear, $2,000 rifle/scope, and a $700 Mystery Ranch pack. What I'm saying is, it's foolish to dismiss going into the mountains. Trust me, you can die in the woods less than a mile from the road. People do it every year.

Maybe I'm an a-hole, but: Leaving my pack-frame at home, and calling friends with pack frames and horses to come haul my meat seems weird to me.

I learned that if you don't hit elk right, they don't die, and that they won't stand broadside for you when you throw your wallet at them.

There sounds like a story hidden behind this piece of advice.

I learned you dont need any weather to find elk. I also found out that pop can still shoot at 74yrs old and hit elk at 325 yards. And I learned that i can put a shoulder and and ham in my pack and i can still get it out of the canyon

I have shot an elk with my rifle nearly every year for over 20 years. I loved the experience of each and every one so I'm not complaining But.... I want to shoot one with my bow. I was packing out my bull last year and all I could think of was bow season. I went out during bow season this year and got into the elk. Several bulls in the 80 yard range but no shots. This year I was packing out my bull again. And again not complaining, but thinking of archery season when the blood was still sticky on my hands.
I guess I know I will have to dedicate more time to practice and be prepared for the hard work and disappointing wind shifts and vagaries that always conspire to come between my arrow and an elk. I better hurry before I get too old.
If anyone is reading this for elk killing advice here is mine... Be where you want to hunt (a mile or more from the truck) before light and stay out that far till after dark. Repeat for 10 days or until you shoot an elk.

Every year I learn the same thing. My Dad shows up with cheap whiskey and I'm disappointed but I learned there is a direct correlation between miles hiked, gross elevation change and the perceived quality of the whiskey when back in camp after a long day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 544
Last edited:
A couple of things I have learned over the years is, if you have found the elk stay with them. Have a spike camp so it doesn't take as long to get to them. Hiking back and forth to a base camp will ware you out. It really makes it hard to get up and go the next morning after walking 5 to 10 miles the day before. Second, stick it out. If you plan on staying 10 days stay and hunt 10 days. Don't let your hunting group talk you in to leaving earlier. You have invested a lot of time and money in this hunting adventure. If you stick it out and still don't get anything you can at least say you gave your all. You want be thinking the whole next year, man if I would have stayed and hunted I might have got one. Lastly enjoy the whole adventure its not all about the kill you make. Like this old man told us one time when we were packing out a cow elk out on our backs on foot from 7.5 miles deep in the wilderness as he rode by with 3 empty pack mules. "BOYS THIS IS WHAT MAKES MEMORIES". He is right til this day we haven't forgot. It has been 8 years since I heard those words. Have fun, work hard, and make memories.

After being involved in my most brutal pack out I can recall, or maybe just getting older and still packing, I learned I really need to look into one of those mystery ranch or stone glacier backpacks. I can strap and bag one helluva lot of weight to my frame and pack, but damned if it isn't getting more painful the older I get.

Learned that :
>Farther isn't always better. Even though I like farther :) b/c where we hunt the elk are actually moving closer to base camp!)
>You still have to teach old dogs (my elk hunting pardner of 17 years), old tricks (shoot / aim / shot placement low when uphill at 30 degrees).
>Friends may change, but the man (me), the elk and the mountain are staying the same!

Last edited:
I learned that my old man can still show us kids up. Despite having 3 vertebrae fused and being scheduled for hip replacement surgery next month and needing a 4 wheeler to get around he was still the first to come back with an elk.

If you want to be an elk hunter work in the off season. Climb mountains! Train yourself to be able to run up the mountain and still have the breath to take that shot. Carry heavy loads and become proficient at cross-country travel. Don't be afraid of the dark or silly things like lions, wolves or bears. Make yourself into someone they should be afraid of.

Don't be afraid of the dark or silly things like lions, wolves or bears. Make yourself into someone they should be afraid of.

False, you should be afraid, you should be very afraid.
P1010391.jpg

P1010562.jpg

I learned elk hunting is really hard when you have a surgically repaired Achilles tendon...

I learned if I had had a extra $6000 laying around I'd proabably would have paid the man this day and chased this bull on private.

I just learned that I was yet again nominated as Colorado's Sexiest elk hunter for 4th consecutive year.

P1010614.jpg

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back