What coat/jacket/sweater do I want?

Irrelevant

I need some help finding something that fits what I'm looking for. I want an outwear layer, than I can wear when it's chilly, say 30-40's while lightly moving, that I can archery hunt in (stalk in). It's needs to be silent, have a good, trim fit (so I can put a puffy over it), slightly wind and rain resistant, enough warmth that I can hold still for an hour waiting on a critter without needing to put on more layers. I've never found this coat, I don't know if it exists, but I have to think it does and that everyone but me probably already has it.

Also, I run cold, real cold- like lizard cold.

I need some help finding something that fits what I'm looking for. I want an outwear layer, than I can wear when it's chilly, say 30-40's while lightly moving, that I can archery hunt in (stalk in). It's needs to be silent, have a good, trim fit (so I can put a puffy over it), slightly wind and rain resistant, enough warmth that I can hold still for an hour waiting on a critter without needing to put on more layers. I've never found this coat, I don't know if it exists, but I have to think it does and that everyone but me probably already has it.

Also, I run cold, real cold- like lizard cold.
Have you tried any of the Polartec Alpha Direct garments on the market?

I just picked up the Kuiu Kenai hooded jacket this past off season and used it for the first hunting trip over the weekend... I have to say that I feel like it checks all of the boxes you are mentioning. Super quiet, good fit, very comfortable piece. (Used it to replace a down jacket that I used to carry - which was really noisy).

Have you tried any of the Polartec Alpha Direct garments on the market?
I have not, it's been on the list, but for some reason I felt like it wouldn't be warm enough...and they seem to only make it is bright @ss safety orient colors, or black.
I just picked up the Kuiu Kenai hooded jacket this past off season and used it for the first hunting trip over the weekend... I have to say that I feel like it checks all of the boxes you are mentioning. Super quiet, good fit, very comfortable piece. (Used it to replace a down jacket that I used to carry - which was really noisy).
My partner has that coat and says the same thing. He uses his more as a puffy and doesn't hunt in it very much (unless it's real cold).

Arcteryx Proton, FL or LT could fit the bill. LT would be way too warm for me in those conditions but might be about right for you.

Octa loft in the FL is their proprietary version of Polartec Alpha. Proton LT uses Coreloft Compact, which is a little odd but basically a pre-compacted cut/staple like Primaloft. The Toray insulation in that Kuiu Kenai is the same as Patagonia Full Range from what I have read. Looks like a nice jacket. The Patagonia Nano-Air is right in there but the face fabric is fragile, even compared to the FL and LT, which are hardly robust.

Within a reasonable range of comparable insulation types, the breathability/wind resistance continuum of the interior and face fabric are going to make the most difference IMO.

Outer layer that you can put a puffy over?! C'mon man! Hah I'm not sure it exists either, but I like the Kuiu Peloton 240. It is warm enough for moving around in around freezing (depending on your baselayer), is pretty windproof and kinda water resistant. Silent too. It straddles the line between midlayer and outerlayer. It is Kuiu, so sizing is kinda weird. I fall between an L and XL and kept the XL because I wear it a bit more like a jacket. If you run really cold it may be worth looking into the active insulation pieces that others have mentioned.

I have the Sitka 90% that is close to what I'm looking for, but doesn't quite fit the bill. It's not warm enough and no hood, just barely quiet enough.

I have not, it's been on the list, but for some reason I felt like it wouldn't be warm enough...and they seem to only make it is bright @ss safety orient colors, or black.

My partner has that coat and says the same thing. He uses his more as a puffy and doesn't hunt in it very much (unless it's real cold).
I got really lucky and found a OR Ascendant (brown with orange interior, even!) on closeout in my size after they discontinued them. I think it's 90gsm Alpha Direct, with Pertex Quantum face fabric, and no inner liner. Until then I'd been a little skeptical about this new insulation people were raving about. It didn't take long for me to convert wholeheartedly.

It's quite warm, but in a weird way that doesn't let you overheat very easily. Kind of hard to describe.

I even shot a turkey in it this spring, which sort of turns the whole camo idea on its head......

I got really lucky and found a OR Ascendant (brown with orange interior, even!) on closeout in my size after they discontinued them. I think it's 90gsm Alpha Direct, with Pertex Quantum face fabric, and no inner liner. Until then I'd been a little skeptical about this new insulation people were raving about. It didn't take long for me to convert wholeheartedly.

It's quite warm, but in a weird way that doesn't let you overheat very easily. Kind of hard to describe.

I even shot a turkey in it this spring, which sort of turns the whole camo idea on its head......
damn... that looks like a really nice jacket. WTF happened to it?

You're looking for wool. If that is not affordable, then polypropylene. In either case, a silk underlining.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back