What Cartridges Have You Killed Big Game With This Season?

Antelope buck and doe 30-06 178gr Hornady ELDX.
Whitetail buck 30-06 Nosler 180gr partition.
Whitetail buck T/C 50. Muzzleloader with 100gr of pyrodex pellets and 240gr tc mag Express sabots.

Was also with my wife for both her kills a doe antelope and deer with a 7mm-08 Hornady reduced recoil 120gr SST.

7mm Rem Mag, handloaded 160 grain Sierra Gameking:

Mule deer buck
Antelope buck
Love those Gamekings! I've loaded quite a few of them, and used them on whitetails and hogs. They aren't the "sexiest" bullet out there, but they are hard to beat with performance.

.270 win 130grn Barnes Vor-tx(California mule deer)

.300 WinMag 200grn federal Terminal Ascent(Washington mule deer)

6.5 Creedmoor 143grn Hornady ELD-X(Idaho whitetail)

Awesome year!

My other wife is my 7WSM 😂. I shoot 180 Bergers at around 2850. It also likes 168 Barnes LRX. I love this gun and it has killed a pile of animals for both friends and family. It shoots really good really far. It's taken a bear, 2 bulls , 1 cow and a mule deer buck this year

Last edited:
WY bull elk, 360 Yards, one shot
CO bull elk 404 yards, one shot
Both with a 6.5 SAUM 140 Berger VLD

Would you use a 7mm-08, 145 gr, on elk?
With the right bullet, absolutely. I used a 139 gr Hornady GMX on my cow elk this year and it dropped her. Went in right behind front shoulder, exited back shoulder after taking out both lungs. I have no doubt that it would do similarly with a bull. And there are plenty of others out there that will do the same. Do your homework and pick the right bullet, but a 7mm-08 can be a fantastic elk cartridge.

Whitetail doe - 30-06 150 grain Winchester ballistic silver tip

Whitetail buck - 260 Rem 130 grain accubond

pulled the 270 out for this week, hopefully add to the list

CO Mule Deer- 300 gr thor out of muzzleloader
OH Whitetail- compound bow

Muley - 7mm HT Hornady ELDX (quartering towards, then quartering away, two long angled hits hits through boiler room, no visible reaction other than turning to run, one passthrough, one partial recovery, no blood trail, piled up 30 yards)
Antelope - 6.5 MB Swift Scirocco (pass through, quick recovery)
Ruffed Grouse -7mm HT Hornady ELDX (pass through, no bullet recover, LOL! neck shot, no damaged meat!)
Ruffed Grouse - .22 LR (butt of wing, pass through, more meat damage than the previous bird!)

Last edited:
MT Bull elk - 480gr arrow with Slicktrick RazorTrick Broadhead
WY Buck Antelope - 25-06 100gr Barnes TTSX
MT Cow elk - 300 win mag 180gr Fusions
MT Mule Deer - 25-06 100gr Barnes TTSX

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173