Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What are your 2020 plans?

Neat seeing everyone's plans. Here are mine.

ID: I'll hunt lions in Idaho with my hounds, but won't actually be trying to shoot one (unless I tree a monster with no one else there, which is not likely...if dogs get lucky on a bobcat, however, it will die). I usually spend more days doing that than anything else.

Here I am thinking about spending a couple of weeks tracking em on foot and you're treeing them for fun! Make sure you post a report I'd be keen to hear how it goes.

Got a youngin coming next year so hunting time will be taking a hit.

I'm trying to tee up a Northern Territory buffalo hunt, crossing my fingers and toes on that one coming together!

Hog deer hunting in April, but more helping my brother get a tag filled after my success this year.

Little bit of red and fallow hunting in the rut (April), promised to help a couple of new hunters get their first bucks. Keen to squeeze in some of my own if I can for a red.

Will hopefully have a new pup so will need to spend some time with her in the bush too.

Got a youngin coming next year so hunting time will be taking a hit.

I'm trying to tee up a Northern Territory buffalo hunt, crossing my fingers and toes on that one coming together!

Hog deer hunting in April, but more helping my brother get a tag filled after my success this year.

Little bit of red and fallow hunting in the rut (April), promised to help a couple of new hunters get their first bucks. Keen to squeeze in some of my own if I can for a red.

Will hopefully have a new pup so will need to spend some time with her in the bush too.

just going thru the process of a blackbuck in the water valley s.a,,so while there ill go after sambar as i have a mate in victoria
like to tell me how to chase those little beaut hog deer???

just going thru the process of a blackbuck in the water valley s.a,,so while there ill go after sambar as i have a mate in victoria
like to tell me how to chase those little beaut hog deer???

Best of luck with your hunts.

For hog deer sitting over water or feeding areas is how we've had all our success. If you get bad weather they will most definitely go to ground, but get even half an hour without wind and rain and they'll be out for a quick feed.

You will need to apply for tags (1m and 1f) prior to the season (which runs through April) and have purchased a Victorian game license (which you will need to hunt sambar anyway). If you take a male or female you need to immediately tag it and then phone up a checking station to book a time for checking (must legally be checked within 24 hours). After this you'll get your yellow slip of paper with all the specfic details. That is proof of legal harvest.

Important to note, you may only gut your deer before checking. If you break it down, cut a leg off or remove the head etc. Before it is checked in it'll be confiscated and a fine issued. The take hog deer very seriously in Vic!

What will you be putting in for?
AZ Anything that moves

NM Elk
NM Pronghorn

WY elk
WY pronghorn
WY Deer PP

What else will you be hunting?
AZ Bear & Deer

Hunting a new zone in Idaho! We used to archery hunt in SE Idaho, and we found the elk and deer. However, being MT residents, it was a long drive that conflicted with the MT archery season.

We just bought our tags this morning for a zone that allows us to hunt the border. We know where some of the elk live up there, but still have plenty of scouting ahead of us next summer. Some of it will simply be for road access - nothing worse than showing up to a new spot and being blocked by gates, bad roads, private, etc.

We have never hunted a border with tags for both states before. Already stoked!

I have plenty of good info on SE Idaho that I probably won't be hunting anymore. PMs welcome to swap info if anyone is interested.

Wyoming general unit elk tag
Wyoming mule deer tag
Wyoming antelope PP
PP’s for Montana elk, deer and antelope
various deer tags in my home state of NJ

What will you be putting in for:
  • Wyoming Elk PP
  • Wyoming Deer PP
  • Montana Elk PP
  • Montana Deer PP
  • Iowa Deer PP
  • Kansas Archery Deer
  • Pennsylvania Archery Elk
  • Pennsylvania Regular season Elk
What will you be hunting:
  • Kansas Archery early season Turkey
  • New York Turkey
  • New York Whitetail Archery
  • Kansas Whitetail Archery (hopefully)
Having a 3 year old and 8 month old sons will keep me close to home mostly in 2020.

Wyoming elk/deer
Idaho elk, deer
Colo elk
ND waterfowl pheasants
SD pheasants
NY deer small game waterfowl walleyes pan fish
Oregon Roosevelt elk
Fishing, Minn walleyes smallmouths muskies
Fort peck walleyes, small mouths, Lakers
Port Clinton Ohio lake Erie walleyes
Canyon ferry lake walleyes
Had to edit as we will be selling our ranch here in Montana and moveing to wyoming to help my father in law run his ranch

Last edited:
Put in for elk 1st rifle, OTC archery if we don’t draw.
NM elk
AZ elk
Elk PP in Wyoming
Bear PP in Minnesota

Turkey, WT deer in Illinois for sure.

Well, I will be moving the family from Texas to Utah in May, so I will have to do non-resident for everything UT this year which is expensive, so my plans include:

Putting in for:
- WY Pronghorn
- UT Pronghorn
- UT CWMU Deer

Hunting:
- Anything I can afford over-the-counter in UT
- Possibly OTC antlerless deer in Montana
- Maybe CO blackbear
- Probably make a trip back to TX to get my last year of resident hunting in there for deer, turkey, pigs, and maybe ducks depending on time

Last edited:
Well, I will be moving the family from Texas to Utah in May, so I will have to do non-resident for everything UT this year which is expensive, so my plans include:

Putting in for:
- WY Pronghorn
- UT Pronghorn
- UT CWMU Deer

Hunting:
- Anything I can afford over-the-counter in UT
- Possibly OTC antlerless deer in Montana
- Maybe CO blackbear
- Probably make a trip back to TX to get my last year of resident hunting in there for deer, turkey, pigs, and maybe ducks depending on time
Does Texas not have a lifetime hunting license you can buy?

Elk/Deer: Western Wyoming, far west that is. Trying for two cow/calf licenses in addition with general on elk and two doe/fawn along with general for deer. This will be a horseback trip. Got a few friends off here going to meet up with me and make it a great trip.

Antelope: Working with Hunting With Heroes and taking a wounded warrior or two into my hunting blind and helping them to be able to hunt where they could not otherwise. Plans still in the works on that but working with the Cheyenne Chapter now to make it happen. I plan on hunting on just a type 1 and donating two (or more) type 8. By or more I mean I am putting in for leftovers too and planning to donate them if the Cheyenne Chapter of Hunting With Heroes can find people to use them.

My 2020 plan consist of a repeat of this year. Take a bull and a buck in MT. Maybe next year I will concentrate on shooting a bigger buck but frankly meat is meat. One of these years I would like to concentrate on taking an antelope, but elk hunting is to much fun and time consuming. I'm hoping my wife will be ready to go and I would like to really focus on getting her first animal when shes ready. Maybe in 2020, maybe later, its up to her.

Unless I or my wife luck luck out on a great tag somewhere, I’m hoping to do more bowhunting, which I haven’t done as much the last 5 years having young kids. I’m also hoping to spend a week bowhunting the breaks for elk which hasn’t happened the last 2 years due to ankle problems that are about to get fixed and a combination of bad roads and a bad case of strep throat over my other trip I had planned.

In 2020, I’m going to have to turn my late Kaibab rifle tag back in and use point guard so I can give my desert bighorn tag the time it deserves.

that’s the dream.
Reality is probably go to Alaska and help on a dall sheep hunt and then spend the rest of my vacation hiking through dog shit weather that resembles the inside of a mayonnaise jar at 10k feet in the Beartooth pretending that a ram might be within 10 miles of me.
Looks like you might have to redo that last part unless you’re helping a friend find one. A lot changed once you pulled the trigger on that bighorn.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back