Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What are you guys paying for gas?

View attachment 222238

Is it though? I can't say I know anyone who is actively reducing their gas consumption. Most folks are still road tripping on the weekend. I'm watching multiple groups of friends and family travel across the south west in motorhomes on social media.

Everyone is complaining about the gas prices. Nobody I know is changing their behavior because of them.
And these are people that are pent up. Of course they’ll splurge. The people you are speaking of aren’t trying to operate business off what’s going on.

And that is put simply with zero judgement. I’m bringing up the inflation and sustainability of supply chains

Last edited:
What happens when it costs more to transport a load of fuel to the end users that exceeds what the end users are willing and able to pay?
Rationing????
Thank you @wllm1313 and @BigHornRam for giving me the proper terminology.
Demand destruction right??

I just think we all need to mindful to the bigger picture

Whoa, that seems a bit extreme.

When what crashes? fuel, lumber?

I guess what you describe could happen but I see that as highly unlikely.
Suppliers and manufacturers don't make $ sitting on product so it's more likely they simply increase the price of a bag of chips, loaf of bread, can of coke, 2x4, etc.. and keep shipping.
High shipping costs will limit the distance some products can be shipped economically but there will still be a food at the grocery store.

At the end of the day consumers will pay for it all. They will keep paying the increases as we have seen in cars, lumber, fuel, etc..

I certainly do not see lumber being an issue as construction will slow down due to high interest rates which should bring down lumber costs, With demand dropping there will be more supply than usual.
And this is the exact thing I’m speaking to. You’re right. Construction will slow because it’s not feasible, travel will slow because it’s not feasible, how far do we have to blow up this balloon before it pops and buying groceries isn’t feasible.

As far fetched as it may seem and as uneducated as I am, I can still see the writing on the wall

And this is the exact thing I’m speaking to. You’re right. Construction will slow because it’s not feasible, travel will slow because it’s not feasible, how far do we have to blow up this balloon before it pops and buying groceries isn’t feasible.

As far fetched as it may seem and as uneducated as I am, I can still see the writing on the wall
You’re exactly right, but as those things happen prices will slowly drop.

The real question is not whether prices will go down they will, but will it be because demand is destroyed or supply is increased.

Pro economy folks want supply to increase “drill baby drill”.

Climate change side wants permanent demand destruction, too costly to ship via truck so suddenly people start looking at trains again (that kind of thing).

North central WA, my fleet pricing stayed solid for 3 days straight now at 5.46 for on road diesel. Consumer retail pump prices are showing 5.69 to 5.75 depending on which station.

Right, really only 3 quarters of "loss", preceded by who knows how many good years, followed by steady upward profit for the next 5-6 quarters and resulting in 7 year record profits.

All on a commodity that we absolutely must have to function, controlled by a handful of players, and subsidized via bargain basement public lands leases.

If a company in that type of environment folds, I cant find where I'm supposed to be sympathetic.
If only there was a way to buy into some of those companies to be one of the “handful”………..🙄

Last edited:
You’re exactly right, but as those things happen prices will slowly drop.

The real question is not whether prices will go down they will, but will it be because demand is destroyed or supply is increased.

Pro economy folks want supply to increase “drill baby drill”.

Climate change side wants permanent demand destruction, too costly to ship via truck so suddenly people start looking at trains again (that kind of thing).
Or you can be like Warren and own both oil and trains!

@Derek44

"But any increase in diesel production is unlikely to be able to reverse the depletion of inventories fully and return them to pre-pandemic levels.

Prices will therefore have to continue rising until they begin to restrain consumption or the economy enters a cyclical downturn."

@Derek44

"But any increase in diesel production is unlikely to be able to reverse the depletion of inventories fully and return them to pre-pandemic levels.

Prices will therefore have to continue rising until they begin to restrain consumption or the economy enters a cyclical downturn."

Interesting article. Thanks!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back