Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What are you currently reading?

Good not great. First half is better than the last half. Turns a bit more self-help at the midway point. They even make mention of this. On to this...

shopping
How's this one? Very interesting topic.

How's this one? Very interesting topic.
Good! Cuts through a lot of the fear tactics used and advocates for common sense policy.

Just finished his latest San Fransicko. It’s excellent and eye opening.

I just finished Sleeping Bear by Connor Sullivan. It's the best edge-of-your-seat thriller I've read in quite a while. Set in the Yukon/Alaska border area and Russia. I'm pretty intolerant of ridiculously hyper-competent protagonists and lazy plot holes. This book avoided both failings or it pulled me in enough to overlook them.

I have a list I am reading from. My dad passed a year ago and left a list of books to read. I just finished Endurance. A book about explorers trying to cross Antarctica. Dad wrote on his list "read this one. It makes life look easy". Boy was he right! Now on to the Clan of the Cave Bear series!

Im on AB. Guthries "The Bigsky". A super fun read about the mountain men time period around the 1830s.
Great novel! Have you watched the movie? Kirk Douglas plays Deakins. It’s a little hokey at first (it was made in ‘52), but turned out to be darn good.

The rest of the novels in Guthrie’s series were also enjoyable. “The Way West” won a Pulitzer, but I also really liked “Fair Land, Fair Land” which is third sequentially to the story, but published much later. It revisits some of the characters that were introduced in “the Big Sky.”

Currently reading “the Glass Hotel” by Emily St. John Mandel and it’s quite compelling thus far.

I just finished (and loved) the recent HBO series “Station Eleven” and tried to find the book. Waitlist is loooong at the local library, so I decided to check out something else by the same author.

If we're including audible. I wrapped up Cannery Row by Steinbeck as well as The Big It by A.B. Gutherie. Both were good. Steinbeck describes the human condition very well, but still slightly on the rosey side. Gutherie's short stories were very entertaining.

On to Big Rock Candy Mountain - Stegner.

Great novel! Have you watched the movie? Kirk Douglas plays Deakins. It’s a little hokey at first (it was made in ‘52), but turned out to be darn good.

The rest of the novels in Guthrie’s series were also enjoyable. “The Way West” won a Pulitzer, but I also really liked “Fair Land, Fair Land” which is third sequentially to the story, but published much later. It revisits some of the characters that were introduced in “the Big Sky.”
No and no! I didn’t know they did a movie, I’ll have to look for it. And I’ve since been looking to pick up the other two in his series.

Finished the first Joe Pickett novel and was disappointed. It may be that there were too many spoilers in the forward of the latest edition.
I had it figured out by the end of chapter two. Endangered Species and Capitalist Bastards.

Oh well. He didn't get to 16 novels without having something. Pressing on to "Savage Run". LMAO about all the sideways Monkey Wrench Gang references in the intro.

If we're including audible. I wrapped up Cannery Row by Steinbeck as well as The Big It by A.B. Gutherie. Both were good. Steinbeck describes the human condition very well, but still slightly on the rosey side. Gutherie's short stories were very entertaining.

On to Big Rock Candy Mountain - Stegner.
I need to get some more Stegner. I was a little numb after, "Angle of Repose".

Try "Of Mice and Men" - The 1992 film with Gary Sinise and John Malkovich is top notch. I would sure read it first.

We all read "The Grapes of Wrath" in high school. My mother hated that book because she had been a farm worker in the 1940s and early 50s. She was born in Chowchilla when it was only famous for Dust Bowlers, not kidnappers. She hated anything that reminded her of it. "Okie" was an insult, and "Chowchilla Okie" would get you a punch in the mouth. She felt the Joads were just white trash and that anyone could rise above.

BTW- If you ever go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, there is a display about Ed Ricketts, the man who inspired the character, "Doc".

I wish I could listen to audiobooks. I tried the other night on Amtrak and I realized I completely zoned out for about 45 minutes and couldn’t tell you a thing that happened.
Try listening to John LeCarre, it’s an acquired taste well worth the effort.

I just finished "A Rising Man" by Abir Mukherjee. It's a good murder mystery set in 1919 Calcutta. This is the first in a series of books involving the same detectives. I'm looking forward to reading the others to see if they hold up as well.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back