Caribou Gear Tarp

What are you currently reading?

I need to pull my Ruarks down and read them again. I've had them since I was a teenager.

Regarding misogyny - tried to watch "McLintock!" with John Wayne recently. Not a date night movie.:rolleyes:
LOL
Yeah, we listened to Old Man in the Boy on audible with the kids over a couple of road trips, great book and super enjoyable to listen to. But I'm really glad I didn't listen to the this follow up with them, I think either my wife would have requested it be turned off, or we'd of had to have some good discussions with the kids.

I'm currently reading Tough Trip Through Paradise by Andrew Garcia. I highly recommend it.
Great read.

May be a book that could not be published today. It is so unvarnished that no doubt someone would call it hateful. It really is just a guy relating the things he experienced, without all the modern hand wringing. Garcia is not touting a point of view, he is just putting it out there as he remembered it.

I always enjoy old first person accounts, it is harder for the revisionists to spin them. I have some early printings of Mark Twain that have content that has since been removed by "enlightened" editors.

Great read.

May be a book that could not be published today. It is so unvarnished that no doubt someone would call it hateful. It really is just a guy relating the things he experienced, without all the modern hand wringing. Garcia is not touting a point of view, he is just putting it out there as he remembered it.

I always enjoy old first person accounts, it is harder for the revisionists to spin them. I have some early printings of Mark Twain that have content that has since been removed by "enlightened" editors.
Garcia was a product of his time. It's a tragedy that so many nowadays want to edit "erase" history in any form. If you really want a good read check out The Last Hero by Peter Forbath. It's historical fiction but not for the easily offended crowd.

Just reread Boys in the Boat for the second time. Story of the 1936 US men's 8 rowing team. Absolutely fantastic story about courage, endurance and raw guts.

I read "Falling" by TJ Newman. A thriller about a plane hijacking and kidnapping. I heard it was good but was disappointed. Interesting story idea but there is a huge plot hole that overwhelms the last third of the book.

Just wrapped up "Smuggler" by Roger Reaves, highly recommended, as is the Lex Fridman Podcast with Roger...

Cowboy Kent Rollins cookbook/tales from the trail, and Hank Shaws book Hunt, Gather, Cook. 💥

Really? I thought it was way better.
It’s not that it’s “bad” (though Punke’s no Jack London) but I guess I was hoping for a touch more history or background on the Rocky Mountain Fur Company. Gives the reader a renewed respect for both humped bears and maggots though 😉

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back