What are you currently reading?

Still numbing my mind with the Busse book. But I did get some magazines and other stuff that were more important. mtmuley

Just finished Sapiens a couple weeks ago. Interesting and thought provoking read, but I always question authors who quickly bash some theories and then put a ton of credence into other theories without any more empirical evidence. I kept finding myself wondering if there was an agenda behind the work. I don't know that there was, but it made me question due to his writing style.

Now, I have moved on to a Jim Bridger biography. It's interesting, growing up in Texas, we didn't do a ton of studying about the west. Everything was really heavily slanted toward Texas History. Now, in my thirties, I am finally reading up on many of the explorers, mountain men, and settlers of the 19th century.

Attachments

• Sapiens.jpeg
    Sapiens.jpeg
    23 KB · Views: 2
  • Bridger.jpeg
    Bridger.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: trb
I recently finished “Denatured Africa” by Daniel W. Streeter. It’s a 100-year-old chronicle of the misadventures of a first-time safari in east Africa. It has the usual non-PC terminology of books of that era, but probably no worse than other contemporary works. I found it surprisingly entertaining and easy to read, and it does a good job of describing the countryside and fauna. I figured I’d read it and discard it, but it ended up with a spot on my hunting bookshelf.

Just finished The Third Bullet by Stephen Hunter for about the 4th time. It is one of my all time favorite books of all time.

Attachments

• D32C78AA-4965-45A2-AD76-FB14E17E7833.jpeg
    D32C78AA-4965-45A2-AD76-FB14E17E7833.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
WILD_MOMENTS.png
It is nearly impossible to live in Alaska without being influenced by its natural environment. Residents have no choice but to coexist with the Alaska wilderness and its animal inhabitants, and this extraordinary experience—along with the stunning landscape—is what often draws people to Alaska. Wild Moments offers a fascinating range of creative nonfiction essays that describe the chance meetings that bring Alaska residents face to face with their animal neighbors. These imaginative accounts speak to the ability of nature to transform the human experience, and the authors urge us through their works to protect these often threatened creatures who share our planet.

The contributors to this collection include some of Alaska’s most prestigious nature writers, such as Peggy Shumaker, Ned Rozell, Nick Jans, Debbie S. Miller, Craig Childs, Richard Nelson, and Drew Pogge. Wild Moments presents some of the best and most innovative nonfiction writing in an environmental context, and it will be of interest to all readers with a passion and concern for the natural world.

Just finished Ridgeline by Michael Punke, really enjoyed it. Was fun to read a narrative story with voices given to Crazy horse, Red Cloud, Bridger, and other notbale western characters that I had only read about in nonfiction works.

Im now moving onto Blood Meridian by Cormac Mccarthy.

Just finished Natural Rivals, about John Muir and Gifford Pinchot's relationship and the merging of their, at times, counter ideologies that so heavily influenced the creation and direction of our public lands.
Quite good, though a bit slow. Everyone knows about John Muir, but Gifford Pinchot was less known to me, so it was enjoyable reading about him along with the other influential characters of the time.

Now, I just started into this one that i am super excited about.

51EYCPsHvDL.jpg

Almost finished with this one. Some of the info on equipment and other areas may be slightly out of date since it was written in the 80's, but the strategies themselves are pretty good.

Attachments

• master mule.jpeg
    master mule.jpeg
    20.6 KB · Views: 2
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back