Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

What are the best units in each state?

jtm307

Now that I have a few big game seasons under my belt, I'm starting to formulate my 5+ year hunting plan. Since I live in Wyoming, I don't really have much incentive to hunt big game animals elsewhere. I have SOOO many opportunities here. The downside is that for elk, mule deer, mountain goats, or even antelope, I may never have the opportunity to hunt the "best" unit in the state. There is no preference point system for these animals for residents. This has me making long term plans to hunt premier units in other states. This will also give me the opportunity to visit other parts of the West I haven't seen. At this point my goal is to hunt each species in the best state in which it can be hunted and in the best unit.

This brings me to my question: In your opinion for each big game species (elk, deer, moose, sheep, mountain goat, etc.), what is the best state (and unit) in which to hunt it?

I realize how subjective the answer is. Here is what qualifies as "best" to me:

1) Best opportunity to pull the trigger on a mature animal
2) Lowest hunting pressure
3) Most public land

I'll try to answer with something better a little later...

Unfortunately, for the "best" units you're going to need a 40+ year plan :(

Haha! How about the best units in the 15-20 year range. I'm not looking for Boone and Crocket animals, just lots of animals in "must see" terrain.

Most of the "best" units in each state are well known. Ill give you the best for elk. I don't research or hunt anything else. Keep in mind these are very subjective and most states have more than one unit that's considered top tier. NM-the 16's, AZ-9,1, 23, CO- unit 2,61, UT- San Juan and beaver , WY- u live there. I don't know much about NV. And as far as OR,WA I don't consider the trophy quality and cost of applying worth the wait there. MT and ID seem to be a more general or OTC hunt. They have limited areas but I don't research them enough to know and most consider the general hunts there pretty good compared to the limited. Of the units I mentioned above, I don't apply for any of them except NM 16's. Just too long of wait for me.

Utah -

Elk - Books roadless, Pahvant, Beaver, Boulder, San Juan

MD - Henry's, Pauns, Crawford (Muzzy only)

Pronghorn - Probably do better in Wyoming

Nevada

Elk - Any unit really, but probably 231 or 111

Deer - Almost any unit, but probably 221

Pronghorn - A bunch of different ones, probably 33

Arizona

Elk - 1,8,9,10

Deer - 13A or 13B

Pronghorn - Yes, Please

New Mexico -

Elk - Valle Vidal

Deer - No clue

Pronghorn - Yes, please

Idaho:

Elk - 47? I hear good things about those southern units.

Deer - Probably most of the rut hunt options.

Pronghorn - No idea

Colorado-

Elk - 1, 201

Deer - almost any unit with public land and a 4th season MD tag.

Pronghorn - No Idea

Washington has some terrible general hunting seasons, but if you have the patience to wait for a premium tag it can be very rewarding.

Peaches ridge and observatory for elk can produce some monster elk.

GMU 204 late whitetail hunt is a sleeper for trophy potential. You have to be willing to change your tactics on the fly and cover lots of ground but there are monster whitetail in the area. 150" and much bigger should be your minimum for that 204 rut hunt.

I went on a Nevada Jarbidge Wilderness mule deer hunt about ten years ago. The elk were big, unit 71-79, if memory serves. It is considered the cleanest air in the lower 48 and was in the largest area without a paved road in the lower 48 at one time. Might still be. Great country. Otherwise, the point game sucks and it's a bad time to start. If I lived in Wyoming, I would maximize that state as well as Montana.

Back