Votes: 42 22.0%
  • 50's

Votes: 14 7.3%
  • 60+

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Still Hammering

Votes: 73 38.2%

• Total voters

Attention to all you hunt talk millionaires @Oak and the rocky mountain bighorn sheep society is looking for donations. @Big Fin is matching the first $500 dollars raised by hunt talkers details in link above. C'mon guys put your money where your mouth is for a great cause!

Last edited:
Reality check. This was 1999. These days a million dollars will only get you 1.1 chicks at the same time. ($4800/month with COLA will get you about 0.7 chicks at the same time, even though they are theoretically equivalent.)
View attachment 317393

PS, that's only an inflation rate of 2.5% per year.
I don’t know about that but I know if you pick the wrong chick it’ll cost you about half a mil

With the explosion of house prices recently $1M in net worth isn't that hard. If you're older ND have paid off, or even owned your house for many years, that value alone gets you a good amount. Add in 29 year work history with 401k or pension and your at least close.

Problem is you are "worth $1M" but in reality only if you die. Value of your home is tied up, you need it to live. Retirement funds have to last many years, so you can't go spending those.

I am by no means a millionaire, but I am a hell of a lot closer than I ever thought I would be. But since most of my net worth is tied up in my home it sure doesn't feel like I'm worth much. In 2020 my house was assessed at $180,000. I owed $62,000. I refinanced at $100,000 to get money to do repairs on the house and take advantage of stupidly low interest rates. So, my house contributed $80,000 to my net worth at that time. Two months later my house burned down. In 2021, using insurance money and a $25,000 Small business disaster loan, I rebuilt the house and paid off my mortgage. In 2022 my new house was assessed at $480,000. So, in two years, without working for pay for even one hour, my net worth rose $355,000. If my math is right.

But I sure don't feel any richer than I did in 2020.

In another reality check, fifty thou a year will only buy 35% of the beer when this song came out. (https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=100.00&year1=198601&year2=202401)

That's just 2.8% inflation. Better step it up if you want sheep hunts through retirement! Over the last 70 years it averaged 3.5% if I calculated correctly so we seem to be in an era of lower-than-normal inflation.

You probably don't want to hear what sheep hunts cost 25 years ago.....
I was chatting with a guide in Alaska in 2008ish - prior to the beginning of the Great Recession. Friday the price was $8500. I called on Monday to book and the price increased to either $10k or $11k. I was pissed he didn’t honor the price and didn’t book.

Hindsight I missed out on a great hunt at a good price. However, I was planning on paying for the hunt with bonus money. I didn’t get a bonus for several years during the recession so I really couldn’t have afforded the hunt anyways without draining the family budget. Divorce stuff if I had moved forward.

I was chatting with a guide in Alaska in 2008ish - prior to the beginning of the Great Recession. Friday the price was $8500. I called on Monday to book and the price increased to either $10k or $11k. I was pissed he didn’t honor the price and didn’t book.

Hindsight I missed out on a great hunt at a good price. However, I was planning on paying for the hunt with bonus money. I didn’t get a bonus for several years during the recession so I really couldn’t have afforded the hunt anyways without draining the family budget. Divorce stuff if I had moved forward.
Your probably lucky you didn't book. If he changed his price like that, he was probably a flake.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back