• 60+

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Still Hammering

Votes: 73 38.2%

• Total voters
Back to the $1m question
If you were retiring today, age 60, would you prefer
a) $1,000,000 in the bank with full control of it, or
b) $4800/mo (with COLA ($1800 SS, $3000 pension)

Keep all other things equal- house is paid for, kids are gone and self-sufficient etc. The only decision is based on retirement income, which is actually a decision on risk. You can get a steady stream of income and not think about it or have to invest it yourself and deal with market and rate ups and downs.
I'm 60 and don't see getting SS when I turn 67. So A is a better choice.

I'm 60 and don't see getting SS when I turn 67. So A is a better choice.
HT'ers drive me crazy. I kind of saw this coming, so no one to blame but myself. The first thing we do with every hypothetical is add in a bunch of external factors that we were told to explicitly ignore. SS continues in B, you don't have money left to give kids in A, there is no tax arb between income and cap gains, none of that stuff. That is all reality, agreed, but this was made up.

The origin of the question came from thinking the answers to the original question the OP presented may be skewed because someone who paid into a pension may not show the pension as an asset because they don't see the balance, they just get the income. The person who pays into a 401k, by contrast, sees their balance every time they open the account and look at it. Now we have gone down the rabbit hole...

HT'ers drive me crazy. I kind of saw this coming, so no one to blame but myself. The first thing we do with every hypothetical is add in a bunch of external factors that we were told to explicitly ignore. SS continues in B, you don't have money left to give kids in A, there is no tax arb between income and cap gains, none of that stuff. That is all reality, agreed, but this was made up.

The origin of the question came from thinking the answers to the original question the OP presented may be skewed because someone who paid into a pension may not show the pension as an asset because they don't see the balance, they just get the income. The person who pays into a 401k, by contrast, sees their balance every time they open the account and look at it. Now we have gone down the rabbit hole...
Hunt talker D thinks the government will save him and will pick b. Hunt talker S that knows the government can't will pick a.

Freedom to choose. Everyone's happy!

Hunt talker D thinks the government will save him and will pick b. Hunt talker S that knows the government can't will pick a.

Freedom to choose. Everyone's happy!
If we played by the rules you are correct!

The problem we will run into are when folks take the money, blow it, then still want to be supported with another option…

Back to the $1m question
If you were retiring today, age 60, would you prefer
a) $1,000,000 in the bank with full control of it, or
b) $4800/mo (with COLA ($1800 SS, $3000 pension)

Keep all other things equal- house is paid for, kids are gone and self-sufficient etc. The only decision is based on retirement income, which is actually a decision on risk. You can get a steady stream of income and not think about it or have to invest it yourself and deal with market and rate ups and downs.
I'd take the million buy as much land as possible and go back to work.

"If you have land you'll never be poor"
Altus Odean Clark

Lol

I am mind blown there's anyone let alone a majority having that high of a NW before 40.

That's likely a paid off house+500k in their retirement.
Possibly a successful business owner, maybe just an extremely high income earner

I agree, that’s definitely an achievement!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back