Wet - Snowy - MT 2022 Opener

Looking ahead to the weather outlook. It's going to be wet, muddy, and snowy this 2022 Montana opening weekend. Should provide some good hunting and entertainment value. Be safe and be sure of your target(s).

Good luck to everyone.
Supposed to rain in the valleys. But calling for 12-24" of snow at the elevations I'm planning to hunt, highs around 20 degrees, 5-10 mph wind.

Fun little forecast site from the rock cilmbers- https://www.mountain-forecast.com/. Can select your local peak, then your elevation.

Other fun resource for snow cover/depth, if that matters to anyone- https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd1045012.html

I hope it snows enough for tracking - hopefully no rain up high . Rain sucks
Supposed to be over a foot by Sunday where I’m headed. Hopefully it’s cold enough to stick and stay around (and not melt and soak my clothes while walking).

I’ve got Oct 28 - Nov 19 off work for my 1st Montana deer season. I’m laying on the couch today , watching Game Day on ESPN before my Ducks 🦆 take on The Bruins 🐻 at 1:30 today . I’m going out next Friday or Saturday. Back home if it’s raining you go hunt Blacktails in the rain all day , I’m not back home. Good luck everyone!

Rained hard yesterday. Turned to snow for a while overnight, now a hard rain with little visibility.

@Lawnboys youngest has a LE bull tag so I offered to bring the llamas and be on pack out duty, if needed. With this low visibility, the llamas are mostly getting a nature walk and a good bath. Nice to be in the woods for a couple days without the complications of filming, even if the weather sucks so bad that I’m at the truck feeding the llamas their pellet rations while waiting for a text to bring the llamas for packing duty.

0E1C9521-7FFC-4754-9531-C582C4233DF3.jpeg

I’m sure there’s an elk out there somewhere.
C23C2E9C-D506-41C2-B720-48556C1853EA.jpeg

Sitting in my truck watching giant wet snowflakes coming down hard. Better than staying home. mtmuley

Snow beats the 38 degree steady rain we're getting in my neck of the woods. I am soaked below the waist. Might take rest of the day off. Saw a lot of deer (~30) but not the fella I'm after.

Big bull disappeared in the sage before shoot time, made it off public before I could do seal the deal. Threw my buddy a bone and let him pick off one of the stragglers after the big one went over the hill. Heart and loin for dinner. 1x1 Mile state land bull. Close to the truck, rained like hell, couldn’t see crap, luckily it was only 390 yards.

Back at it In the morning.

Attachments

• 0C4B61E8-3184-47FA-8747-1A393079FD3B.jpeg
    0C4B61E8-3184-47FA-8747-1A393079FD3B.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Big bull disappeared in the sage before shoot time, and made it off public before I could do seal the deal. Threw my buddy a bone and let him pick off one of the stragglers after the big one went over the hill. Heart and loin for dinner. 1x1 Mile state land bull. Close to the truck, rained like hell, couldn’t see crap, luckily it was only 390 yards.

Back at it I’m the morning.
Did he shoot him in the antler?

Yup, bull went down hard on the first shot, gave it a minute and started walking up and he jumped up, tried a off hand shot at 250 or so and hit antler, took a knee and dropped him permanently. Can’t give him too much crap, scope lenses covered in rain drops and walking up hill. I told him to mount it just cause it’s cool and a cool story.

Ps , he’s shooting a creedmore , makes sense.

Jesus. Creedbros even kill on antler shots. mtmuley
2 side by side, looks like it groups good. They say them creedmores can shoot. Little forward for my liking but people say to hit em in the shoulder. I don’t know. Just what people say.

Attachments

• 837C168E-4851-4535-9A78-286D8C518B89.jpeg
    837C168E-4851-4535-9A78-286D8C518B89.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 43
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back