MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Western States Roadkill Salvage Questions

Any insight on why the Warden Association was against it?
It seems most comments believe there is no chance of abuse in the new system. I hope that is the case, my experience in this state of 39 million people has me skeptical.
They thought it would be abused when they opposed it.

I've salvaged a lot of moose roadkill. 25-30. In AK it the troopers call folks on the list. If you can't go immediately you're dropped to the bottom. So don't say no n stay ready. No special laws needed, you can't just go get one

It is unlawful possession.
An animal hit by a Buick is not considered a natural death.
In MT.
You also have 24 hours to get a free permit in MT, and you can do it online by yourself. Pretty easy to follow the law.

In Idaho it was a legislative law effort that was department supported. It’s been modified one time since passed to allow people to dispatch animals. I’ll find you the code sections and that should get you the bill information. I seriously don’t see it as costing much of anything. Very few salvage permits are issued in person, vast majority are done online
Section 36-506

If you think a 300 RUM hamburgers meat, wait until you cut up your first road kill. Expect half to be bloodshot.

And unless you ARE a North Idaho redneck with a moose catcher on your B.T.L.D, expect the bodywork to cost WAY more than a side of beef.

Oregon started letting people salvage roadkill a couple of years ago. I never paid much attention and don't know anyone who has picked up any roadkill but about two weeks ago I decided to check out what the law actually said. I was surprised how easy they made it, considering how the state usually likes to complicate everything as much as possible.

1. find roadkill. 2. throw it in the truck. 3. fill out online permit within 24 hrs. 4. butcher animal. 5. take head to Game Commision within 5 days. 6. grill Backstrap.
Michigan is similar minus step 5. It’s all on tab of the department page. Super easy. Not 1.6 I’m sure.

Michigan is similar minus step 5. It’s all on tab of the department page. Super easy. Not 1.6 I’m sure.
Much like Idaho.

Those species which hunters and trappers are required to check in must be presented to an IDFG office within 72 ours. All other salvageable species do not.

"The following wildlife must also be presented to the nearest fish and game office to satisfy mandatory check and reporting requirements: Moose, mountain goat, bighorn sheep, mountain lion, black bear, wolf, bobcat and river otter."

Not west, but we permit out a shit load of roadkill critters in PA

Road killed big game (deer, bear, elk, turkey): Pick up dead animal, call the central dispatch based in Harrisburg within 24 hours, provide your information, get a permit number, surrender head and hide at request of a game warden.

Big game heads/hides: Can be purchased for $10/point or $100 for a bear.

Road killed furbearers: Can be kept at no cost by someone with a trapping license if in season. If out of season must be purchased and provided a permit.

No ideas or cost to set up and maintain @jryoung but in Kansas a salvage tag must be given by DWPT (conservation officer) or a sheriff’s deputy/Highway Patrol officer. This includes deadhead possession.

I have heard whispers that big buck racks are sometimes disallowed for claiming by the officer at the death site.

I have pulled one salvage tag after I discovered a funky buck in the shoreline ice. The GW allowed my to remove the head and we met in town to get the tag as the recovery site was more than half a mile from the lake road.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back