PEAX Equipment

Well..I officially lamed out.

Animals will be bedded down anyway; when the storm breaks, they'll be everywhere.

30mph wind as of right now and snow coming down or should I say sideways. Was planning to hike into a spot early and sit and wait for it to get light and apparently 4 other pickup loads had the same idea as they pulled in right behind me. Figured to hell with it and went down the road to another spot.
4D55DEF2-D400-46F9-9C40-E53370C92C86.jpeg

Waiting on the storm to break, prly mid afternoon. Only thing your missing is a face full of snow. Going to have to dig myself out today as I think I’m drifted in. Last night was sweet, perfect still falling snow. This morning I couldn’t tell if it was snowing or just blowing, drifts everywhere.

Thankful I got my wood stove installed this year. Spending the morning in my “wall tent.”

Attachments

• 78D0FD19-146F-4E71-991B-5269759CA649.jpeg
    78D0FD19-146F-4E71-991B-5269759CA649.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
While I was sitting on the can sipping my coffee this morning, I thought about mocking you for this post.

But I just drove 10 minutes down the road to my hunting spot, and I think you are making a wise decision. If the roads there are anything like they are here, they are harrowing and dangerous.

A 500 foot gain in elevation and I’d say there’s well above 20 inches of snow.

Waiting on the storm to break, prly mid afternoon. Only thing your missing is a face full of snow. Going to have to dig myself out today as I think I’m drifted in. Last night was sweet, perfect still falling snow. This morning I couldn’t tell if it was snowing or just blowing, drifts everywhere.

Thankful I got my wood stove installed this year. Spending the morning in my “wall tent.”
IMG_20201024_063937629.jpgHere's mine.

Literally "lamed" out due to recovery from knee surgery, but my energetic MSU Rodeo Team cowboy grandson and his team roping partner took my equipment, rifle, pack, and other gear and headed up during the blizzard to experience an adventure and report back so that I may vicariously enjoy this opening day.

Good luck, be safe, enjoy the hunt, boys!

I have to confess - although it is a relatively balmy 57 degrees and only lightly raining here, I just couldn’t force myself to go out this morning in search of the elusive whitetail doe. I might pull the stainless 22 out later and go look for a squirrel.

Edit - but I have an excuse for my lameness as I have a 6.5 CM.

Last edited:
Yep, didn't even set the alarm. I was not excited about the potential for really bad road conditions. There will be plenty more days to hunt. Like tomorrow.

I had a solid plan for opening morning, but I got up at 3:30, it was 8 degrees and the snow was streaming in sideways out of the north. I went back to bed. Haven't missed an opening morning in at least 25 years. 😞
Same on this side the hill. I finally got into my WT stand in the evening and suffered through about an hour of sleet and wet snow. I saw five does and ran for the fireplace and a hot toddy.

I blame my wussiness on the having an elk in the freezer this year. I'd never admit that I'm slowing down.

Work today. First opening I'm happy to be at work. :)

My craziness begins the 27th - 2nd. I had some wild hair to plow my way back into the Bob, snow shoes (PITA) and sled (an actual snow bonus for a change) and make something of this however, partner called, said I lost my mind while laughing over the pics and videos shared of my earlier attempt.

He's knocked some sense into me to join over his neck of the woods as he said hell no to joining me for Bob round II. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Think you made a good move. :)

I too didn't go out. I will go out and shovel the 8" we got over night. I really hope the weatherman wasn't right when he predicted the 12-18" through tonight.

I admire the folks willing to push through it. Having already done 35 nights in a tent and getting home Thursday from a sweepstakes hunt in New Mexico, I had planned to be a domestic husband this weekend, no matter the weather.

Once it breaks and the temps drop further, the hardy souls willing to tough it out could be rewarded for their fortitude.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back